Quantcast

Hey Squeeb to the maint. hanger again

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
In 1943, a British scientist named Conrad Hal (C.H.) Waddington made a remarkable discovery about aircraft maintenance. He was a most unlikely person to make this discovery, because he wasn’t an aeronautical engineer or an aircraft mechanic or even a pilot. Actually, he was a gifted developmental biologist, paleontologist, geneticist, embryologist, philosopher, poet and painter who wasn’t particularly interested in aviation.
I read that as gynecologist and thought it was no surprise he was intrigued by unmaintained hangars.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Yea, I don't think you have to be involved in maintenance very long to realize all that's true. Scheduled maintenance is one of the worst things we do to these airplanes. It's the reason I have the particular position I have right now. My job is basically free safety/triage for all the things that got missed/forgotten/fvcked up during scheduled maintenance the night before.

yellowdogx

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
Langley BC
So don't do maintenance, find nothing broken, planes still fly?

Doesn't exactly ooze thoughts if safety dies it?

I guess the 13 years I did as a AME were for nothing.... I wonder if the same thing holds true for trains (my new job) as well?

kgm

Chimp
Nov 11, 2012
co
Yup, there is definitely a sweet spot between maintenance intervals! I try to balance this on my bikes as well as my cars. Doing enough without having it apart all the time and screwing stuff up.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Also, not to be pedantic, but:

Hangar

Hanger
Must spread rep...

I recall my first air lift in the navy. There was a hydraulic hose leaking when we took off and I pointed it out. The guy said "Keep an eye on it, if it stops leaking it means we've run out of fluid and will be going down soon..." I felt much better after that. :panic:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Still use that theory today, except is called RCM Reliability Centered Maintenance. Only do the jobs that are required based on analytical study of failures. If you can prove a part only fails every 400 hours, on average, why inspect it every 50? Drives maintenance planners nuts, but it works.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I like to throw rocks at innocents to instigate random rock wars. Does that make me a soldier?

No, it makes me the asshole that goes to the park and whips rocks at the other park users.

Last edited: