Quantcast

Hey Stan's folks, need some advice

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've had a stan's setup on my DH bike using 321's and WTB tires before. I really liked the traction and ligher rolling feeling but kept ripping up tires. I'm setting up my bike for Northstar (read: dust, dust, a bit of sharp rock and dust) and have a pile of tires here...they're mostly non UST. I've got a few maxxis, 2 intense and a HUGE assortment of non UST and UST WTB tires at my disposal.

What's your experience with tire brands/models and holding up to pretty rough conditions? I'm guessing michelins are a pretty popular answer but I'm not too keen on their tread designs. I've also never ridden them for more than one or two runs though.

I wouldn't normally ask this but setting up non UST wheels with Stan's is something I've lost countless hours of my life working on before. I only want to do it once.

So who's got the tough?™

thanks

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
if you somehow can get the intenses to seal the those would be my pick because of the sidewalls, but its almost impossible to do so.
ive had good luck with 2ply maxxis.

1soulrider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2002
nor cal
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Do you think this is a good idea for N*. One ripped sidewall and day over.
Well, you can just put a tube in the tire if the slice won't seal.......
Rarely have I damaged a tire so badly that it was unusable. If you are destroying tires regularly I'd recomend more air pressure.
About a good non UST tire for N*, I'd say run the Timberwolves. They work great w/ Stan's, have much tougher sidewalls then either Michys or Maxxis, and hook up great in the ugly stuff.

Its never a bad idea to bring extra parts to N* when you ride there...
Tires
Brakes
Cranks

Actually just bring a spare bike if you can
;)

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Knocking on wood, Ive never ripped a sidewall at N*.

Though I did once fillet a WTB motoraptor on the stiks-n-stones waterfall. Tore about a 4" hunk right out of the tread threads and all. The tube didn't hold air real well after it made a pass across the rock.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by 1soulrider
Well, you can just put a tube in the tire if the slice won't seal.......
Rarely have I damaged a tire so badly that it was unusable. If you are destroying tires regularly I'd recomend more air pressure.
About a good non UST tire for N*, I'd say run the Timberwolves. They work great w/ Stan's, have much tougher sidewalls then either Michys or Maxxis, and hook up great in the ugly stuff.

Its never a bad idea to bring extra parts to N* when you ride there...
Tires
Brakes
Cranks

Actually just bring a spare bike if you can
;)
Aw come on you sound like you don't know that my second job is riding at northstar every free minute I have. I bring a backpack containing a complete build kit with me and stash it at vista every day. But yeah WTBs are the only ones I've set up so far and I had to put tubes in the rear one because I was killing them that bad. I was running about 30-35psi. Anything less was letting the tires roll sideways on corners.

I really didn't like the timberwolves when I rode them there. I felt like the knobs were rolling over themselves anytime I was on rocks. I did like them on the deep dustariffic parts though.

As far as not running tubeless Mike, oooh man it's soooo much better when it works. I'm assuming I can do better with better tires. I'm leaning maxxis at this point but want to hear if anyone has ripped up michelins really.

Vitox, yeah the intense ones look burly but don't seat very tight on my rims dry. I'd believe you about the sealing hassle.

thanks for the input guys.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by dhtahoe
Less than six weeks and your mine little boy... Welcome to my world.
It's on like Donkey Kong!

New stuff not withstanding I have two demons left to slay on that mountain. The Viet-Nam section (pinned not picking my way) and the big drop to left hander on S-n-S.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have been running Stan's strips with Maxxis UST tires for a couple of months now. So far I haven't had a burp or a side wall rip. I am running about 32-35 psi and have unbelievable traction. Oh and by the way I don't run any sealant.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by 1000-Oaks
I've got a full season on Stan's / Michi 32 front and 24 rear run about 10 psi, not a bit of trouble.
You'll get a hell of a lot more traction out of your Michelins if you bump that pressure up a little..

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by binary visions
You'll get a hell of a lot more traction out of your Michelins if you bump that pressure up a little..
Actually I have found that 10 psi works great... tried 15 and it's not to bad either.. but for pure traction anything over that just seems to not work as well. Even though they still work pretty well anyways.

The sidewalls on them have held up super well. I've had the tire roll and all, still no tears. But I have noticed that after leaving the pressure low and then pumping em up they freakin cracked! Like they dry rotted or something, go figure... :rolleyes: (they're only a year old too!)

I'd say if you're worried about ripping the sidewall the mich. are great! Also have a super solid seat!

just my .2 cents.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by profro
I have been running Stan's strips with Maxxis UST tires for a couple of months now. So far I haven't had a burp or a side wall rip. I am running about 32-35 psi and have unbelievable traction. Oh and by the way I don't run any sealant.

Stan's strips so this is on regular rims right? No sealant? Damn. I put goo even in my full UST set up on my xc bike so I'd use it but that's good to know. What rims are you using? Which maxxis UST tires? I thought only the high rollers came in UST. UST minions anyone?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by kidwoo
Stan's strips so this is on regular rims right? No sealant? Damn. I put goo even in my full UST set up on my xc bike so I'd use it but that's good to know. What rims are you using? Which maxxis UST tires? I thought only the high rollers came in UST. UST minions anyone?
I'm using the Stans kit on some 521's and UST Minion's. I didn't use the 521 specific rim strip and was a real bitch to set up. However, it hasn't really leaked any air in the 3 months I've had them.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Mavic 729s with Stans strips. I have some Highrollers, Minion DHFs and DHRs and SwampThings all in UST, DH casings, and 2.5". Don't ask were I got them. ;) But let Maxxis know your interest in seeing more options in UST and that will help with their release at the next Interbike. But currently they make and offer the DHR as production tires. It rides alot like the Michelin 24, but rolls tons better. Thats my tire of choice for dry to moist conditions. Without the sealant the tires do leak down a little over a week or so, but that doesn't bother me.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
Ummmmm maybe... I'll check!!!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Stan's strips so this is on regular rims right? No sealant? Damn. I put goo even in my full UST set up on my xc bike so I'd use it but that's good to know. What rims are you using?
I was told (by someone at Stan's) that any UST tire can be run with no sealant on their strips. And certainly, the Michelins I run can be run with no sealant. I broke my last tire lever - old lever just decided to give up the ghost - putting on one of my Comp24's a while back so I didn't pull the bead back off to put in sealant, just aired it up. Never leaked a bit... Ran it until it was bald.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I uses stans (sealant and strips) on intense fro's (doubletrack rim) and minions (on arrow dhx) with great luck. The intense rubber was a bit difficult to mount, and I am sure they would be impossible without compressed air. The minion was a super easy. I have noticed a small amount of sidewall seepage from the minion, but very little pressure loss has occured. I think the Intense would be the most bulletproof setup. They are like tractor tires....

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
I only weigh 165 lbs, so it's plenty!
:D

No rolling under the rim at all with 321's, works great on loose / deep silt.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Oh yeah, I finally tried to remove a Michi 24 after being run for a year with Stan's. Couldn't break the bead, put the deflated tire in a vise, still couldn't get it to let go. Finally got one side off the rim by using a chisel and beating on the tire bead with a 4lb hammer. The other side took over an hour and a lot of cursing to break it free, dried up Stan's sealant is some serious glue. ('Course, when I mount tires I use sealant between the rim and the tire instead of soapy water, works great.)

Now I have a box of ten pair of Maxxis rim strips ($5 each) to use with Stan's sealant, just scissor off the "ear" material and they're the right width for 321's.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I'm just about to take the tubes out of my Kenda bluegroove/ nevegal/823's. I've got stan's sealant and strip handy along with a compressor. wish me luck...

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Stan's no tubes? Tubeless tires? I never thought that stuff actually worked. Especially after Mountainbike Action recomended them. From what I'm hearing now I'm interested. Sounds like the hot set up.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I was told (by someone at Stan's) that any UST tire can be run with no sealant on their strips. And certainly, the Michelins I run can be run with no sealant. I broke my last tire lever - old lever just decided to give up the ghost - putting on one of my Comp24's a while back so I didn't pull the bead back off to put in sealant, just aired it up. Never leaked a bit... Ran it until it was bald.
What Stan's co claims and what is actually possible are often two different things. I should have video taped my self two days ago trying to find a tire that would seal on a pair of 521s I've got on another bike. 2 WTBs and a maxxis and nothing even resembling a seal.

Anyway thanks for all the info guys. I know a few more possible scenarios now. Looks like the regular minions are the way I'm going to go.....michelins if that fails.

Twisted, yeah it works when it works, becomes a nightmare when it doesn't. Hence my question.:)

Profro, sell me some tires foo!!;)

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
well pop pop pop! Tires are on! minus the strips, seems theres not much room with the strips and they were gettin all wonked as I tried to mount the tire.
I'm a happy camper, I'll post another review after I ride em for a while.

Cheers, Brad

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Originally posted by Brad23
well pop pop pop! Tires are on! minus the strips, seems theres not much room with the strips and they were gettin all wonked as I tried to mount the tire.
I'm a happy camper, I'll post another review after I ride em for a while.

Cheers, Brad
Yeah but you've got UST rims...........that's cheating. Your "pop" don't count. ;)

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I have found that you have to out smart the tire when trying to inflate them tubeless. Figure out where the air is escaping and figure out how to stop it by moving the bead around. I need an air compressor for non UST tires, but I can inflate my UST Maxxis tires with a trail pump.