Quantcast

hey subie owners...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
1) how many miles do you have on your car?
2) how long have you had it?
3) would you recommend it?

I'm looking at an Outback 2.5i wagon. It's a lot more money than the other cars I'm looking at (Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3), but also seems to be a lot more car. I might go drive one on my lunch today.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
1) approx 63,000
2) Bought it in Nov 2004 (it's an '05)
3) Yes. In fact, when it's time to replace mine, I'll probably buy another one.

Don't forget about that IMBA deal on new Subies (dealer invoice price on any new Subaru for IMBA members).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A) 140,000
B) I've owned it for about 2 years, my dad owned it for 3 years before I bought it from him.
C) Yes. I've had no problems to speak of. The mass airflow sensor up and died on me which wasn't cheap, but all the other work I've had done to it has been normal wear-and-tear. Clutch needs to be replaced eventually. Needs new brake pads. Stuff like that.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
~72K
jacksonpt said:
i bought it used (it's an '02) in Sept '04
jacksonpt said:
highly. hondas are the most troublefree car i can think of. gas mileage is great. all depends on what you are looking for in a car.

jacksonpt said:
I'm looking at an Outback 2.5i wagon. It's a lot more money than the other cars I'm looking at (Toyota Matrix, Mazda 3), but also seems to be a lot more car. I might go drive one on my lunch today.
we had two. a '98 and '00. a few minor problems w/ them but overall they were solid cars and i don't regret owning them. i just wanted a cheap, dependable car for my daily driver, as the minivan is large enough for lugging stuff around. i would have gotten the mazda 3 or WRX wagon but even used, it was more $ than i wanted to spend.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Don't forget about that IMBA deal on new Subies (dealer invoice price on any new Subaru for IMBA members).
Yea, I know... that is what has kept it in the running to this point. I have no idea what invoice on it is, but it's gotta be low 20s, maybe less. I can also get the Matrix at $100 over invoice, but the matrix is last on my list at this point.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
narlus said:
highly. hondas are the most troublefree car i can think of. gas mileage is great. all depends on what you are looking for in a car.
I'm confused... I remember hearing that Toyota bought into subie's parent company (I forget the name off the top of my head)... does Honda also have a piece of them?

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
Yea, I know... that is what has kept it in the running to this point. I have no idea what invoice on it is, but it's gotta be low 20s, maybe less. I can also get the Matrix at $100 over invoice, but the matrix is last on my list at this point.
You can get the invoice prices for all their models online, but I assume you already knew that. I have the H6 212hp model and I think invoice was around $26k.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jacksonpt said:
~127K.
2) how long have you had it?[
Wife bought it new in 1997. So........ quite awhile.
It has been a good car. Have replaced a few things, but nothing huge. Some engine oil seals a couple times, a front half-shaft, brakes, etc. The only gripe I have is the marginal mileage (25-26mpg mixed driving).

A couple things I really wish Subarus did: allowed you to take the car *out* of AWD and just drive the front wheels for effiiciency. I also wish they had a low range for rough off-road. The standard trans in 1st gear is just geared to high to crawl on rough terrain.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
135,000 miles
Bought in 2000 (1997 Outback)
I've put some work into it and replaced the clutch, but I'd get another. This one is still rolling strong. We're currently looking at the Outback 2.5XT

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Approaching 115000
bought new in 2000 (outback wagon - 2.5 4cyl edit: wiith 5 speed. Orig clutch still good!
would buy again in a heartbeat (looking ot 06 outback XT's R/N)

Second the IMBA deal.

Oh yeah, if it matters, I get approx 26mpg (actual) in the summer (AC on, mostly highway) and approx 28 mpg in the winter. Some say its "underpowered" (it is) but I've towed this 2400lb trailer with it(the new 06 outback is rated to tow a 2700 lb trailer with a class 2 hitch w/ a 400lb tongue weight). It has plenty of torque (IE it get's up to speed just about the same with or without the trailker), just no "get up and go acceleration".

Edit, just saw the comment regarding switching from AWD to FWD...the orig subies did this - I dont know why they dont anymore. I too wouldn't mind that option. A low gear would be great too, I take mine out on the beach on Cape Cod in soft sand, and it goes real well, but a low geart would help.

Attachments

crazybiker300

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
bought new in 05,
great car, super comfortable, good in the dirt, snow, etc.
poor pickup, high RPM on the hiway, but none the less, great bike transporter, potential to hold a bunch of bikes,
highly recommend it.
for somereason though, people like to bump into it, and they get stupid in their car when they are around it.
people have hit that car at least 4 times since i've had it.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
You can get the invoice prices for all their models online, but I assume you already knew that. I have the H6 212hp model and I think invoice was around $26k.
lol... I was just looking that up. Invoice on the 2.5i is $23,000. That's still noticably more than the other two cars, but like I said, it's a lot more vehicle. hrrmmm....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
C.P. said:
<snip>

Edit, just saw the comment regarding switching from AWD to FWD...the orig subies did this - I dont know why they dont anymore. I too wouldn't mind that option. A low gear would be great too,
Some of the early Subarus had a low range too. What possessed them to stop offering that is beyond me. :mumble:

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
98 Forester (yeah, I know... lesbian car)
No problems, except when the mechanics f it up when I bring it in for scheduled maintenance and they can't figure out that it might be a good idea to tighten down the hoses that they disconnected....

grrrrrrrr

oh, I did have a mass air flow sensor problem. That was kind of a pain. The car just quit on me.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
I'm confused... I remember hearing that Toyota bought into subie's parent company (I forget the name off the top of my head)... does Honda also have a piece of them?
i'm sorry...i was talking about my current car, not the outback (just re-read the subject title).

the outback was a good car; the only negatives from my perspective were mileage (low 20s for a 2.5L 4 cyl didn't seem very good to me), and a couple of parts failures (head gasket on the '98, fixed under warranty; fan blower motor on the '00, also fixed under warranty).

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
jacksonpt said:
'02 Outback wagon
The odometer turned over to 59,999 as I parked my car this morning at work. I will have had it for four years next month (paid off next month too :weee: ) and plan to keep it for while. I've had zero mechanical problems with it in the last four years. It's been a great car in general and a great bike hauler. If I move closer into the city I may consider replacing it with something a bit smaller like a WRX or an Audi A3 but otherwise I'd definitely buy another one when the time comes.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have a Forester, my wife also a Forester, and My mother has a Outback sport.

I have had 2 subies before this one... both with over 100k on them when they were hit and totalled in front of my house (on 2 seperate occasions) here is the first to get hit... it was pushed back and ontop of the VW totalling both cars and as they slid back they ran into a third car causing over $1000 in damages to it...

I would recommend them... and in your location with with the type of snowfall you are prone to getting all-wheel drive is a pretty good thing to have. although the other cars you are looking at will also go well in the snow...

Attachments

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
brungeman said:
I have a Forester, my wife also a Forester, and My mother has a Outback sport.

I have had 2 subies before this one... both with over 100k on them when they were hit and totalled in front of my house (on 2 seperate occasions) here is the first to get hit... it was pushed back and ontop of the VW totalling both cars and as they slid back they ran into a third car causing over $1000 in damages to it...

I would recommend them... and in your location with with the type of snowfall you are prone to getting all-wheel drive is a pretty good thing to have. although the other cars you are looking at will also go well in the snow...
holy crap dude... remind me to never park next to you. That just about sucks.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
jacksonpt said:
'95 legacy wagon, here, purchased three years ago with 85K on it, for 5K. It now has 115 on it. Trouble free, the usual maintenace/age issues like I did the timing belt/120 K service all at once about 6 months ago.

If you can find used, that's always a great way to go. I don't care what kind of car it is, you lose a whole lot of $$ just through depreciation when you buy new.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
jacksonpt said:
holy crap dude... remind me to never park next to you. That just about sucks.
yep the replacement for the red car was totalled in the same place 1year and 2 months after...

the first one was an attempted hit and run... but I chased the kid in my bare feet until I could get his license plate number (at 3:15 in the morn.)

I searched for him till I found him around 12:30... called the police before I did anything stupid... the kid denied having anything to do with it until I pulled out his bumper cover and headlight that I had removed from my car. He had some crappy insurance and I lost out on the deal... so did both of my tenants...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MudGrrl said:
98 Forester (yeah, I know... lesbian car)
It is the only car the president of the LPFC should drive.

'04 WRX wagon.

33K miles

Other than people slamming their doors into my car it has been great.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
I'm on my second Forester. I leased a 2000, put 60K on it with 1 proble - o2 sensor crapped out. It was covered under warranty. The car also performed beautifully when I was rear ended & pushed into the car in front of me. Subies are very safe.

I liked it so much that when the lease was up, I bought a new one. 2004, bought in late 2004. Identical model, same color. Yeah, I like lesbian cars. That's ok because I like lesbians too.

New one has 45k on it and other than wear items (oil, tires & brakes) it has not seen a mechanic since the day I bought it.

Also - my wife has a 2005 Mazda 3. Peppy little car, and a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Can't really go wrong with this one, IMHO.

Good luck with your choices....

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
For those of you with the WRX (or any turbo'd subie) - does it require premium gas? I know a supercharged engine does, but does a turbo'd one? I didn't see anything on the subie website about it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
140,000 on a Forester
Dec. 98.
Hells yes I would. I have had some minor problems but nothing worth mentioning.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
jacksonpt said:

1) 190,576
2) april of 01, used. I'm now the second owner.
3) Hell yes. I love my Legacy. I love the amount of space in it, the power, and the feel of the vehicle itself.

I've been checking out the Matrix as well though, they look really nice for a commuter vehicle.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just test drove an Impreza, was very surprised/impressed with it. Invoice is just about $20,000, so that is MUCH more in line with the other cars I'm looking at.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I have a 2004 Mazda3 hatchback with the 2.3. Got it new.

About 32,000 kms on it now.

I love it. It's not super fast or anything, but really comfy and has a cool interior. When I was shopping around for cars I was sure I wanted an Impreza 2.5 sedan. I drove it then went next door to the Mazda dealer to try the 3. Wasn't sure, went back to try the Impreza again and preferred the 3.

The Mazda was cheaper and more comfortable/smooth than the Sub. Felt about the same pep-wise. I wasn't making great cash back then so I went with the cheaper and more efficient car. You can fit a ton of stuff into it too. Almost as much as my old '92 Cherokee

Being a former Jeep owner, I do miss the 4WD a little, but not that much.

As far as problems go, a spring on my clutch pedal snapped. It's being fixed under warranty as we speak.

Now I'm driving a Prius!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
OK, so now I've driven all 3 (Toyota Matrix, Subaru Impreza Wagon, Mazda 3), here's how I rank things (if anyone cares)...
  • Looks: Mazda by a lot, subie, toyota
  • Performance: mazda/subie (tie), toyota a distant last
  • Reliability: toyota, subie, mazda... though not as big a difference as you might think - subie is better than their reputation, and mazda seems to have made great strides in recent years
  • Cost of Ownership: Toyota, Mazda, Subie
  • Cargo Space: Subie, Toyota, Mazda

Pros:
  • Mazda: best looking of the 3, fun to drive, good gas mileage
  • Subaru: AWD, most cargo space, fun (and very easy) to drive
  • Toyota: Toyota quality, cheapest of the 3, best MPG

Cons:
  • Mazda: least amount of cargo space
  • Subie: worst mpg
  • Toyota: bordering on ugly, very little spunk

At this point... if by some miracle I end up keeping my truck, I'll probably go with the Mazda. If not, I'll go with the subie.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
stoney98 said:
I came from a tundy, and I felt the same. I am wishing I had stepped up for the wrx though.
a tundra would feel like a rocket ship compared to my truck... but I see your point. I could deal with the hit to gas mileage, the increased insurance, the need to run premium gas... but all 3 is more than I want to deal with in this car. If I really wanted a sports car I'd get sports car. As it is, I want something economical and functional that also isn't a complete bore to drive.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
a tundra would feel like a rocket ship compared to my truck... but I see your point. I could deal with the hit to gas mileage, the increased insurance, the need to run premium gas... but all 3 is more than I want to deal with in this car. If I really wanted a sports car I'd get sports car. As it is, I want something economical and functional that also isn't a complete bore to drive.
Yep - the WRX with its additional mechanics would not be a step in the "practical" direction. You should find the 2.5 to have plenty of zip. Make sure you get a standard, though.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
Yep - the WRX with its additional mechanics would not be a step in the "practical" direction. You should find the 2.5 to have plenty of zip. Make sure you get a standard, though.
Yep - that's what I drove today... a 2.5 sport wagon with the manual tranny. On big hills I could feel it bog down just a hair, but generally speaking, it had plenty of spirit for me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
jacksonpt said:
Yep - that's what I drove today... a 2.5 sport wagon with the manual tranny. On big hills I could feel it bog down just a hair, but generally speaking, it had plenty of spirit for me.
Yeah - with those manuals you need to keep the RPMS up. As long as my '97 isn't loaded up with $hit, I can maintain 65mph uphill on I-70 at 11K+ feet as long as I keep the RPMs around 4-5K.