Quantcast

Hey Sydasti, The New Shuffles are Out!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I had a $50 coupon for the IPOD battery settlement. So it came out to $31.08. At that size, it has to be great for riding and working out.
Ya, now THAT is a killer deal. That is exactly why I want one. Working out, riding rollers, riding training runs etc. I just want to make sure i won't shoot myself because it doesn't have a screen.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I'm gonna try out my dads a bit and then decide if i need one to ride with, heh.
I rode with an original Shuffle, crashed on it at least 3 times and finally gave it away when I went to the Nano.

The new ones have to be super way nice more better good for riding.

:monkeydance:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
A rugged little aluminum player like that looks sweet, but the lack of a screen would still make me crazy.

Looks pretty nice for a dedicated gym/workout player though!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
A rugged little aluminum player like that looks sweet, but the lack of a screen would still make me crazy.

Looks pretty nice for a dedicated gym/workout player though!
This is the one for BV...The original microplayer out on the market for years. It has a screen/FM/recording, pretty popular, and now has a cube2 version - DAH-1500i - either version only about 2/10th square inches larger (around 1" cubed)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yeah, I've seen those many times and the shape is lousy. I don't want a cube in my pocket, I want something low profile.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah, I've seen those many times and the shape is lousy. I don't want a cube in my pocket, I want something low profile.
I'm sure the Koreans have something. Smaller is better in that market - flash has been the popular format there for years before the shuffle/nano came out. Hell they invented the portable mp3 player in 1998 (which was also flash).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I'm sure the Koreans have something. Smaller is better in that market - flash has been the popular format there for years before the shuffle/nano came out. Hell they invented the portable mp3 player in 1998 (which was also flash).
I owned a Diamond Rio in 1998. I know the Rio was one of the first players to the US market, I wasn't aware that it came so soon on the heels of the rest of the world's release.

Can you believe that it was $200 for 32mb?!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah I saw those and waited. Eiger Labs of Korea had the MPMan before Rio. Eventually I bought a CD-MP3 player instead.

I've had:

No name Korean CD-MP3
Rio SP100 CD-MP3
Rio SP350 CD-MP3
RCA 20GB 2.5" HDD Player
Alpine CD-MP3 HU
iRiver 1.5 Gb MicroHDD
Sony CD-MP3 boombox
Rio Karma 20GB
Rockford Fosgate CD-MP3/iPod HU
iPod 5.5G 80GB

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Something 1gb that clips to your shirt for $80?
I don't have much interest in flash players, all the players I've gotten I've favored capacity over size. I don't really follow them too closely, so I'm sure there are others.

Either way the pocket would be better unless you like the earphone cable hanging in a big loop. For the gym maybe armband setup.

This one weighs only 2 grams more than the new screenless shuffle (yes shuffle, not nano - it weighs 17.5 vs 15.6 grams for the new shuffle):

Here is a clip-on from Korea:

You can use the cube as a necklace like the nano has also been featured or giant earrings :biggrin:

Most interesting with 4GB, better ergonomics (there is such a thing as too thin/small), and 50 hour battery life (last much longer than most portables):

Electronics are getting too small just to be small. Latest microsized cellphones are too small to dial and operate easily. Look at pen ergonomics developed over centuries, the better ones aren't ultra-small or super thin.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
You aren't going to beat a matchbook sized aluminum player that has an integral clip to attach to your wasitband. Perfect for riding, working out, skiing etc. Every other player out there in the tiny flash catageory has a goofy shape and or a higher price. I have no pocket in my riding shorts, no pocket in my workout shorts and only a back jersey pocket in my road outfit.

I want something durable, low profile and cheap for when i crash on it. The new shuffle fits that bill perfectly and i can clip it to my shorts in the small of my back.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You aren't going to beat a matchbook sized aluminum player that has an integral clip to attach to your wasitband. Perfect for riding, working out, skiing etc. Every other player out there in the tiny flash catageory has a goofy shape and or a higher price. I have no pocket in my riding shorts, no pocket in my workout shorts and only a back jersey pocket in my road outfit.

I want something durable, low profile and cheap for when i crash on it. The new shuffle fits that bill perfectly and i can clip it to my shorts in the small of my back.
But.....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have no pocket in my riding shorts, no pocket in my workout shorts and only a back jersey pocket in my road outfit.
I thought N8 was the only one who rode in an outfit. Get a shuffle, the lack of a screen can be pesky if it's your only player, but I have a specific playlist that I like to listen to while I ride so I droped that onto my Shuffle (old model) and hit play, seems to work decent. I would never give up the screen for the iPod in my car.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I thought N8 was the only one who rode in an outfit. Get a shuffle, the lack of a screen can be pesky if it's your only player, but I have a specific playlist that I like to listen to while I ride so I droped that onto my Shuffle (old model) and hit play, seems to work decent. I would never give up the screen for the iPod in my car.
Hell naw, I got me some lycra skinsuits and shiz, including shoe covers. :D

Ya i have 2 other ipods as I mentioned for "regular" occasions. The lack of a screen probably wont bother me when using it for said activities, as I wont be able to look anyways.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He said:

Something 1gb that clips to your shirt
You aren't going to exercise with any player attached to your shirt - thats only good for walking or sitting around cause otherwise its going to flop around and/or fall off.

If you have a belt or pack on, sure its easy and ideal. Its no problem to find a mp3, pocket camera, or cellphone case with a clip. Better to break the clip off your $10-20 case than the device itself plus the case provides protection.

Either way, clip-on cheap flash players have been around for years. My sister has one she uses for the gym she got at least 3-4 years ago...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
He said:

You aren't going to exercise with any player attached to your shirt - thats only good for walking or sitting around cause otherwise its going to flop around and/or fall off.

If you have a belt or pack on, sure its easy and ideal. Its no problem to find a mp3, pocket camera, or cellphone case with a clip. Better to break the clip off your $10-20 case than the device itself plus the case provides protection.

Either way, clip-on cheap flash players have been around for years. My sister has one she uses for the gym she got at least 3-4 years ago...
We are not talking about roman greco wresting here. A small lightweight clipped device hooked onto the waistband of your shorts will work fine for running and cycling. Maybe it would be best for spend your time researching a link between Apple products and face cancer, or maybe WMD's.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
H8r said SHIRT not waist. Perhaps you should read as I said clip for your belt {or waist} or packs are common for a variety of small electronics.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that H8R probably wasn't refering to something that capable of clipping only to shirts. Hell you probably could use the shuffle to smoke a roach.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I clip my mini to the chest strap of my camel back. Works well. Plus, I sorta look like darth vader.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Is iTunes the only thing you can use to transfer MP3s to the Shuffle? I like the size of this thing for riding, but I really don't want to switch to iTunes.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Most likely third party software iTunes replacement software like Anapod explorer and the like will also work with the new one or require a minor update.

A bigger headache is charging and syncing these microplayers - you need the proprietary shuffle-only dock for both. Its nice to just pop-in a AAA or use a standard mini USB cable.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can't use Windows Explorer? So it doesn't show up as a flash drive?

I think the dock is included in the $79 price with the Shuffle.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can't use Windows Explorer? So it doesn't show up as a flash drive?

I think the dock is included in the $79 price with the Shuffle.
Most iPods do show up as a removable drive, but you can't transfer files easily without the proper software.

Dock is included. But you lose/break/or leave the dock at home you are SOL.