Quantcast

Hey Sydasti, The New Shuffles are Out!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
yeah both charging and syncing. As for microplayers I am referring to any of the brands out there - almost all of them are this way.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah you are SOL if you lose or break it. they could have used a common cheap mini USB connector. You know the industry standard for most mp3, pda, cameras, card readers, some cell phones etc:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That looks like a nightmare!
Well... As nice as the little player looks, I can't possibly imagine any reasonable explanation for not using a standard mini-USB jack on it.

Mini-USB makes everything nice and portable. Everyone has at least one kicking around, they're cheap and easily replacable if you lose it...

Why? Why a docking station like that?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The 5 USB devices I have 4 different kinds of mini USB cables. It pisses me off trying to figure out which one works with what. At least the docking station would be obvious. It would be nice if everyone went with just one style of usb connection.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It would be nice if everyone went with just one style of usb connection.
There is a mini USB standard, some companies don't follow it though...

The blackberries, razor, the dell floppy drives for your notebook, the sandisk 12-1 filmreader are all devices I've personally used with the mini-usb connector - the chargers and sync cables work with all of them but the motorola as they purposely put a microchip in their chargers to make money off the accessories (the phone says unauthorized charger when you try to charge it with standard USB charger).

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
At least the docking station would be obvious.
I love my docking station for my Nano. Come home, pop it in, done.

If you're traveling and need more battery power or a recharge, then a Shuffle ain't for you. It's made for going for a run or a ride.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The 5 USB devices I have 4 different kinds of mini USB cables. It pisses me off trying to figure out which one works with what. At least the docking station would be obvious. It would be nice if everyone went with just one style of usb connection.
Really? Most USB connections are standard now. There are basically two types: there are standard A to B connectors (flat, rectangular USB on one end that goes into your computer, then a semi-squareish rounded off connector on the other side), and there are USB to mini-USB connectors with the flat, rectangular USB on one end and the mini connector on the other end, like the one syadasti posted a picture of.

That's what all my devices use at home, I don't think I have any non-standard ones. What the heck kind of devices are you using? :p

I've got a printer, two scanners, a card reader, a camera and an MP3 player all plugged in that work with one of those two connectors I mentioned above.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There is a mini USB standard, some companies don't follow it though...

The blackberries, razor, the dell floppy drives for your notebook, the sandisk 12-1 filmreader are all devices I've personally used with the mini-usb connector - the chargers and sync cables work with all of them but the motorola as they purposely put a microchip in their chargers to make money off the accessories (the phone says unauthorized charger when you try to charge it with standard USB charger).
My phone, flash card reader, two cameras and two MP3 players all use different Mini connectors.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
My phone, flash card reader, two cameras and two MP3 players all use different Mini connectors.
Well how old are they? Newer devices are standardized as BV says. Either way it doesn't matter standard USB cables are cheaper and easier to find. It doesn't matter that your old devices aren't standardized, there is a standard and it would be a positive attribute if designed with miniUSB connector.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Well... As nice as the little player looks, I can't possibly imagine any reasonable explanation for not using a standard mini-USB jack on it.

Mini-USB makes everything nice and portable. Everyone has at least one kicking around, they're cheap and easily replacable if you lose it...

Why? Why a docking station like that?
It wouldn't fit as it is right now. The dock goes into the head phone jack which is the hinge for the clip.

westy said:
:stupid:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You've got some weird-ass equipment. Seriously. :p

Dunno, there's a standard and I don't see too much equipment that deviates from it, but apparently you've got a bunch of it.

stinkyboy said:
If you're traveling and need more battery power or a recharge, then a Shuffle ain't for you. It's made for going for a run or a ride.
Always one of my complaints with Apple. They pidgeonhole themselves into market segments when they could very easily pull themselves out of it a little bit by doing something slightly different.

I had a similar complaint with the Mac Pro. Everyone argued, "well, it's not for <insert market segment>." Ohhkay, but why couldn't it be? Why not expand your horizons a little bit by including a ubiquitous connector that everyone can use? Why remove even a small market segment who doesn't frickin' want a docking station, and make the docking station an optional accessory?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Older?

I got a new phone yesterday with some weird ass plug, the shuffle today, and my sony camera which I got in August. All of which have different plugs. Then there is my older Ipod.

The only thing I have with any sort of standard is the old Canon camera.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Phones are a crapshoot but many are coming with a standard mini-USB plug now.

Your Sony should have a standard Mini-USB plug (every Sony camera I've seen that's been made in the last 3 or 4 years has had that plug) - that's what everything should have. ALL of my small electronics have that plug (card reader, MP3 player, camera, portable slide scanner).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Regardless of other devices you have, a standardized component is still advantageous to the consumer if given a choice.

Only bad example is in Motorola's case, they used the mini-USB standard but electronically disabled charging without the special Motorola or Motorola authorized charger - milk you for all they can :rant:

Non standard components benefit only the company and licensed accessory makers.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Phones are a crapshoot but many are coming with a standard mini-USB plug now.

Your Sony should have a standard Mini-USB plug (every Sony camera I've seen that's been made in the last 3 or 4 years has had that plug) - that's what everything should have. ALL of my small electronics have that plug (card reader, MP3 player, camera, portable slide scanner).
dsc-w100 doesn't.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I had a similar complaint with the Mac Pro. Everyone argued, "well, it's not for <insert market segment>." Ohhkay, but why couldn't it be? Why not expand your horizons a little bit by including a ubiquitous connector that everyone can use? Why remove even a small market segment who doesn't frickin' want a docking station, and make the docking station an optional accessory?
They're ignoring a market segment by including a docking station? Hell, I had to buy a dock for my Nano. It's easier than having a cable hanging out of my machine or hub and my ipod is not sliding around on my desk getting scratched up or knocked off.

The new shuffle is a beater cool little almost disposable player that is targeted at a specific market. I'm surprised you've not heard of that approach.

I'll keep my ears open in the next few weeks to find out if this is the ONLY forum where there are complaints about the dock, but I'll especially be listening to actual users and not just Apple haters.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nobody favors proprietary parts that offer little to no advantage unless you like wasting time, money, and space.

Do you want a different dock for every device you own on your desk - one for your cell phone, PDA, 2 for your mp3 players (1 ipod and 1 2G shuffle), pocket camera? That is definately possible if you had the right combination of devices? How could that be better?

I guess it would be good how it use to be - rather than charging over USB or transformer with USB would it be better to have a different powerbrick for every single device you bought?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If you have 2 mp3 players on your desk you're not so concerned with wasting time, money and space...

And yes my phone, camera and iPod all use different connectors and the easiest one to access is my docked iPod.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And yes my phone, camera and iPod all use different connectors and the easiest one to access is my docked iPod.
Docks made with standard miniUSB connectors have been on market for years. My Sandisk 12-1 card reader is just that - a miniUSB connector built into a dock. You can have it either way with standard connectors and you'll get all the advantages that come with it - cheap replacement, wide availability, less cable and chargers on your desk/floor, and you can borrow you friends from his device even if it does something entirely different.

Would it be better if Apple still used ADB instead of USB? Would you rather every single videogame system use their own connector instead of USB? Standards are without a doubt better than proprietary 99% of the time.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Docks made with standard miniUSB connectors have been on market for years. My Sandisk 12-1 card reader is just that - a miniUSB connector built into a dock. You can have it either way with standard connectors and you'll get all the advantages that come with it - cheap replacement, wide availability, less cable and chargers on your desk/floor, and you can borrow you friends from his device even if it does something entirely different.
That's a valid point, but I doubt that it will disuade anyone from buying a new Shuffle cause they're so damn cool.

You and BV need to put the reigns on your left brain.

;)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Nobody can ever spell my username right :p

I've never bought any flash players, they don't appeal to me. If I'm exercising, I'd rather watch TV and I hate TV - I watch at the most a hour a week otherwise. If I'm outside, I'll enjoy the outdoors - I don't want to tune out and be a hazard on the road/trail.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I ordered one simply becasues Sydnasti doesn't like them.:happydance:
:cheers:

If you've ever watched people at an Apple store, most of them almost wet themselves checking out the cool hardware, and rarely is the question asked: "Will this work with my $3 cables I have laying around?"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

If you've ever watched people at an Apple store, most of them almost wet themselves checking out the cool hardware, and rarely is the question asked: "Will this work with my $3 cables I have laying around?"
I have the urge to throw hand grenades into Apple stores. Luckily for everyone they don't build hand grenade stores across from Apple stores.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT

Well Apple's real motto is "Apple, Don't Think"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's a valid point, but I doubt that it will disuade anyone from buying a new Shuffle cause they're so damn cool.

You and BV need to put the reigns on your left brain.
Yep, God forbid a design be critiqued.

I already said I think the Shuffle is a really cool looking device. I personally have an issue with the lack of screen but certainly not everyone will have that issue. It's the right size, the clip is great - I'd use it all the time - and the aluminum case makes it more durable.

I just look at something like the connector and think "Huh? What were they thinking?" An ultra-portable device... that requires a docking station to charge or transfer music.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I just look at something like the connector and think "Huh? What were they thinking?" An ultra-portable device... that requires a docking station to charge or transfer music.
Yeah the old one would easily double as a flash drive. This one could in a pinch if it used standard cables your friend or office might have. Its less useful than the old version was by a couple of levels.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yep, God forbid a design be critiqued.

I already said I think the Shuffle is a really cool looking device. I personally have an issue with the lack of screen but certainly not everyone will have that issue. It's the right size, the clip is great - I'd use it all the time - and the aluminum case makes it more durable.

Seeing how product design works I'd bet the development team was given the task of making it as small as possible from the marketing folks and not given the goal of using standardized connections.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Screw having 10 items on my desk....

* 262.144 color TFT
* 128x160 pixel
* Music tones (MP3/AAC)
* Polyphonic Sound 40 voices
* Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™) support
* Phone memory 20MB*
* 90 x 47 x 24.5 mm
* 3.5 x 1.8 x 1 inches
* 94 gr
* 3.3 oz

* Memory Stick Micro™ (M2™) support
* Complete music kit
* Bluetooth™
* Text and picture messaging
* 4xDigital zoom
* Camera VGA
* Camera integrated
* Macromedia Flash Lite™
* Picture wallpaper
* SVG Tiny 1.1
* Video Clip
* Video record
* VideoDJ™
* Viewfinder display
* Wallpaper animation
* Email
* MMS (Multimedia Messaging)
* Predictive text input
* SMS long (Text Messaging)
* Sound recorder
* 3D games
* FM radio
* Games Embedded
* Java
* Media Player
* Mega Bass™ (trademark of Sony Corporation)
* Melody composer/MIDI (MusicDJ™)
* Music tones (MP3/AAC)
* PlayNow™
* Polyphonic ringtones
* Flight mode
* Bluetooth™ technology
* Fast port
* GPRS
* Infrared
* Synchronization PC
* USB mass storage
* USB support