Quantcast

Hey Sydasti, The New Shuffles are Out!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Seeing how product design works I'd bet the development team was given the task of making it as small as possible from the marketing folks and not given the goal of using standardized connections.
Undoubtedly. And the docking station has some marketability, too, in making it appear very polished and it gives the consumer the impression of quality.

I've always liked this cartoon:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Undoubtedly. And the docking station has some marketability, too, in making it appear very polished and it gives the consumer the impression of quality.

I've always liked this cartoon:

You wouldn't believe all the possible pitfalls in product desing process. Currently working with a company that makes commodity industrial machines. Suprizingly I am one of the few people in the design process with experience in using the product and dealing with the end users. This compay only looks at feedback of a handful of good customers they have a good relationship with not the people they can't sell stuff to. Since they only listen to people who like there stuff they keep building new machines that are basically the same thing as their old machines and they fail to break into any new markets.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You wouldn't believe all the possible pitfalls in product desing process.
I believe it. I worked for Mountain Hardwear for 4 years, my good friend is in charge of tent specs and general equipment QC.

The whole process, under the best circumstances, is a total sh1tstorm.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I believe it. I worked for Mountain Hardwear for 4 years, my good friend is in charge of tent specs and general equipment QC.

The whole process, under the best circumstances, is a total sh1tstorm.
No doubt. I'm sure they were torn by making something that would work in poor conditions vs making it look cool so the yuppies would buy them for car camping.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No doubt. I'm sure they were torn by making something that would work in poor conditions vs making it look cool so the yuppies would buy them for car camping.
Actually the tent guys were always torn between lightweight and durable. (a fine line) Color and aesthetics were always incidental.

The clothing designers had to make tough stuff look metro. Poor sobs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I have the candybar version of that phone (basically). It kicks major ass and i got a free FM transmitter for the car with it as some special offer deal. Pretty cool and the camera is fantastic.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I have the candybar version of that phone (basically). It kicks major ass and i got a free FM transmitter for the car with it as some special offer deal. Pretty cool and the camera is fantastic.
You got the higher end version w/ the 2mp camera. I like it but I beat the crap out of phones (scratched/cracked screen) and I always accidentally dial people. I need the flip version. (vga camera)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Fanboy site doesn't like it as much compared to the nano or prior generation

[url=http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipod/review/apple-computer-ipod-shuffle-second-generation/]Official iLounge.com Review[/url] said:
Pros: Apple’s smallest and lightest iPod-branded audio player to date, featuring a strong and immediately eye-catching aluminum enclosure, rear clip, simple controls and indicator lights, plus an included dock for charging and computer synchronization. As with predecessor model, battery life continues to beat Apple’s estimated 12 hours by a nearly 6-hour margin, while transfer speeds have increased to near-nano levels. Plays most audio files supported by full-sized iPods and nanos.

Cons: Audio quality has dipped modestly from prior shuffle, and isn’t as clear with good earphones as a full-sized iPod or nano. Includes Apple’s old, oft complained-about earphones rather than its newer, better ones. Unable to recharge or sync on the go without carrying around the included dock, as no USB plug is integrated. Must turn unit off and on to check remaining battery life. Price relative to performance is far below the standards of even the lowest-end iPod nano. Incompatible with virtually all past iPod accessories except headphones. iTunes no longer included, and must be downloaded.

Conclusion: Because of its small size and simplicity, Apple's incredibly small second-generation iPod shuffle will still be a viable option for many users; it's a very good, generally recommendable option if you need a low-capacity music player. However, in our view, unless you're as size- or weight-obsessed as a supermodel, or just don't want to spend a dime more than the new shuffle's $79 asking price, the even better lowest-end iPod nano is a smarter long-term purchase in literally all regards.
CNET doesn't either 6.3 out 10:

CNET said:
The good: The competitively priced iPod Shuffle has a dead-simple user interface with satisfying tactile controls, and its integrated belt clip provides a handy way to keep track of the player. The package includes a cute little syncing cradle.

The bad: The iPod Shuffle has no screen, so there's no way to navigate easily among artists, albums, or playlists. The player might be too small for some users, and nonstandard USB syncing takes away from its plug-and-go appeal.

The bottom line: If you like your music playback simple and your device nearly invisible, the second-generation iPod Shuffle will suit you well. But absentminded users should steer clear of this easy-to-misplace player.

Also noted by CNET:

"Some users have complained that the clip isn't very durable"

"To charge and sync content to the iPod Shuffle, you'll need to use the included cradle. It's a rather cute little piece, but we'd prefer a standard mini USB port or the older Shuffle's built-in USB interface."

"We could also detect noticeable background noise during silent segments. Suffice it to say that the newer Shuffle doesn't sound as good as the older one."

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, the two reviews posted so far have BOTH noted the cradle (and lack of mini-USB interface) as notable cons.

Looks like I'm not the only one :p

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Regardless of BV and sysdabitchin's numerous and REDUNDANT posts about the shortcomings of the shuffle, it has not killed me nor caused any sort of global event. The cradle hasn't been lost nor has it caused desk clutter to the point of collapsing the computer cabinet, the extra cable hasn't caused any major cataclysms and its lack of a screen hasn't left me wondering what that song was.

What it accomplished was played 5 hours of music in a random manner for a 5 hour solo ride today with a simple push of the button.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Regardless of BV and sysdabitchin's numerous and REDUNDANT posts about the shortcomings of the shuffle, it has not killed me nor caused any sort of global event. The cradle hasn't been lost nor has it caused desk clutter to the point of collapsing the computer cabinet and its lack of a screen hasn't left me wondering what that song was.

What it accomplished was played 5 hours of music in a random manner for a 5 hour solo ride today with a simple push of the button.
Have you tried getting frisky with the wife? I bet it made you impotent. That or a brain tumor, maybe both.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Oh my god.... it worked again. I used it when I was raking leaves and cleaning up the yard yesterday. However, the blower gave up the ghost so its affect on small 2 stroke motors might be in question. Though it didn't affect the new blower that I bought, at least not yet.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here this will help your bitterness. I've noticed various people on RM doing the same as you only easier with the older version of this player...

Creative Muvo V100 2GB $75 with shipping at Amazon
-Double the Storage
-Connector Built In (no dock needed)
-Screen
-No Software Required
-Uses 1 Standard AAA Battery
-Better Sound
-Only 1 oz. heavier

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Psst...in case you haven't realized you aren't everyone. I'm not the only one on this site who has mentioned the muvo. Use the search tool newb :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well got the new shuffle today. The thing is disturbingly small and light. I can definitely see being able to jog.ride with it just clipped to your shirt collar. As a ham fisted knuckle dragging cave man I would be just as happy with something a bit bigger.

My first impression is only that i-tunes sucks, it makes me want to burn villages. I don't want to have the stupid software select what songs to load. I check out the help file to see how to do it manually and it tells me to click a button that isn't there. I only had a few minutes to play with it during lunch and I'm sure I'll be able to get it to do what I want but the three other MP3 players I've had were intuitive enough to provide 0 frustration.

There definitely is an audible hiss during silent sections of tracks and with the volume turned low. It would be annoying if I didn't only plan on using it in noisy environments.

Overall I'm a bit disappointed, we will see how I like after some more use.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Thanks for the honest rational review Westy. iTunes is the worst part of the iPod platform. You can buy anapod or xplay 2. There are also some freeware ones, but they aren't quite as clean. Amarok for linux is pretty awesome an works with a variety of players including iPods.

I haven't owned a DAP capable of rockbox firmware, but I supposed they'll eventually release it for the new Apple DAPs.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Oh my god.... it worked again. I used it when I was raking leaves and cleaning up the yard yesterday. However, the blower gave up the ghost so its affect on small 2 stroke motors might be in question. Though it didn't affect the new blower that I bought, at least not yet.
excellent field report!

keep 'em coming!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I check out the help file to see how to do it manually and it tells me to click a button that isn't there. I only had a few minutes to play with it during lunch and I'm sure I'll be able to get it to do what I want but the three other MP3 players I've had were intuitive enough to provide 0 frustration.
Just set up a playlist and throw your songs in. Not difficult.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
excellent field report!

keep 'em coming!
N8, I thought you knew what the grunts in the field were doing :disgust1:

Amazon.com Muvo TX 1GB Review said:
Adventure Scott (Beige Flatlands, IL)
Bought my first MuVo (256 Mb) based on recommendations posted from troops in Iraq that they couldn't be broken and the battery life was very good, and I haven't been disappointed yet. I use mine for running, skiing, hiking and general travel and it has survived snow, rain, heat, grit, sweat and more than a few tumbles. I don't know if it would survive serious immersion in water -- and don't intend to try it. Battery life is stunning (1 battery lasted a week of skiing in cold weather), and using dry cells means no charger to carry, plus it doesn't require any additional cords to transfer music. Sound and FM reception is very good.

Drawbacks of this small device are that it's....small. (Big surprise.) Small screen, tiny buttons (hard to operate with gloves on), small menus etc. Earphones are mediocre, as most included sets are...I use the Sony h.ear MDR-J/20s which work very well and can be gotten at many chain stores.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Newest iPod Shuffle even tinier than before, and cheaper at $79

By Edward C. Baig, USA TODAY
It looks like a money clip. And, in fact, the newest Apple iPod Shuffle (3½ stars out of four) actually does clip onto your pocket, lapel or belt. Due in stores Friday, the aluminum player is a nudge wider and nearly half as tall as the original Shuffle. It weighs just half an ounce — ideal for a workout. The price is relatively puny too, $79, or $20 less than its predecessor.
Shuffle comes with 1 gigabyte of flash memory, which Apple says will hold about 240 songs, a less-generous total than a Nano or full-size iPod. Because of differences in song length, I was able to squeeze 285 songs onto the unit I tested. Via the autofill feature on iTunes software (a free download because no disc is included), Shuffle automatically chooses a batch of songs from your library to fit onto the device. You can also handpick songs you want to transfer.

To transfer music, you slip Shuffle into a supplied dock that connects to a Windows PC or Mac via USB. Doing so also juices the battery for up to 12 hours, Apple says.

At the flip of a switch, you can play songs randomly or in order. You can fast-forward or rewind and control volume with a small circular switch that resembles (but is not) a scroll wheel.

The music sounded swell on the included Apple earbuds. But, as with the original, there's no display for viewing song, album, time remaining and artist information, which I found occasionally frustrating. It's amazing how often I wasn't sure about a song title or artist I was listening to, even from my own collection. Still, there's something nice in not knowing what comes next, kind of like listening to radio. You can return to the first song on the Shuffle by pressing play three times.

It's hard to imagine a yummier portable music player. Apple has fashioned another winner.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just set up a playlist and throw your songs in. Not difficult.

I figured that is what I would have to do as I left to go back to work. I like just being able to click on a song and tell it to load and not have to go through the extra step.

Another problem I have is converting my WMA files to the apple version. It started converting them automatically when I selected my existing music folders but my system got bogged down as I was doing about 5 intensive processes going at the same time. I stopped the conversion and haven't been able to figure out how to start it again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Just drag your music folders to the iTunes window.
I did that, just imports the MP3 files, the WMA's do nothing. I got pissed enough to uninstall. I will reinstall it tonight and will make sure not to do anything else with my PC while i-tunes thinks.

Anyway to convert the WMA's into MP3's instead of AAC or whatever apple uses? I't rather not spend the time and hard drive space creating inflexible file types.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Yes, go into preferences>advanced>importing. Look for the import using: drop down. You can select 5 or 6 different formats.

Select to convert to MP3 and not AAC. I don't know wny they call can't agree to use the already prevalent standard...MP3.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
I did that, just imports the MP3 files, the WMA's do nothing. I got pissed enough to uninstall. I will reinstall it tonight and will make sure not to do anything else with my PC while i-tunes thinks.

Anyway to convert the WMA's into MP3's instead of AAC or whatever apple uses? I't rather not spend the time and hard drive space creating inflexible file types.
It won't play WMAs..... sorry. That's why AAC and WMA suck.

You can shut off the auto fill in the settings tab when the shuffle is connected. It should also give you a pop up the first time you connect asking if you want to autofill. Then you can just drop and drag or create a playlist or whatever.....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One more thing, it wold be nice if they had some raised bits on the control button so it would be easier to adjust volume without looking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Raised so you can find the button. I'd like to have the + and - symbols raised so without looking I can adjust the volume without rewinding the song or going deaf. Not really a gripe just something I miss from the player I lost. Thought I would give my actual opinion on the product instead of partisan cheerleading.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Raised so you can find the button. I'd like to have the + and - symbols raised so without looking I can adjust the volume without rewinding the song or going deaf.
Good point. With my 1st generation Shuffle, it hung from my neck, so the angle never changed unlike the clippy.