Quantcast

Hey $tinkle... $BUX $hares?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
not enough action nor the right kind.
in fact, i'm a little busy doing taxes now & have to look up historical data going back 6 yrs to reconcile my 1099-B & 1009-DIV.

makes as much sense as the related Country Music thread (look below)

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
in fact, i'm a little busy doing taxes now & have to look up historical data going back 6 yrs to reconcile my 1099-B & 1009-DIV.

makes as much sense as the related Country Music thread (look below)
Ouch... :(

hope you didnt get burned playing short yesterday.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Considering coffee costs more than oil, it is funny how the business does not sustain....

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
sbux play for monday? it nicked below 15 for an hour fri. i think it's easy money for what i hope to be a market-wide anti-oil backlash.

don't be a woulda-coulda-shoulda

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
dunno, if the economy isn't that strong and people start trading down, they might be more likely to grab a cup of coffee elsewhere (and for less than $4/"tall" cup). with no dividend and questionable ability to actually expand and grow, I'll look elsewhere. :)

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
filled @ 15.88 (low was 15.74 just before the close). but w/ stox mixed today, this might not have been the best move (i.e., why would it trend down 3 3/4 % when the market's flat?)

maybe people are going to ditch sbux for tully's, peete's, etc.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
filled @ 15.88 (low was 15.74 just before the close). but w/ stox mixed today, this might not have been the best move (i.e., why would it trend down 3 3/4 % when the market's flat?)

maybe people are going to ditch sbux for tully's, peete's, etc.
They're going to MCD. People are buying a breakfast meal that includes coffee for $4 instead of a coffee for $4 and a croissant for $4... The stock is actually up .4% while the rest of the market's down.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
just reading that article @ fortune.com; the street loves them some cuts, ja? looking for a 5% bounce tomorrow.

bragging about being inside of them is like bragging about being inside of britney: once more into the briny breach!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
just reading that article @ fortune.com; the street loves them some cuts, ja? looking for a 5% bounce tomorrow.

bragging about being inside of them is like bragging about being inside of britney: once more into the briny breach!
The term "insider trading" just took on some very different meanings for me...

Meanings that would normally cost 5.95 a minute...or 39.95 a month...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and so now i'm hearing on teh newz starbucks plans to open "only" 200 more stores next year. a bit of trivia in order here: they've opened 40% of their stores in the past 2 years.

and after hours trading has it up 4.6% - looking to dump it all for a quick skin.

beware the apocalypse...klaatu barada nikto

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
and so now i'm hearing on teh newz starbucks plans to open "only" 200 more stores next year. a bit of trivia in order here: they've opened 40% of their stores in the past 2 years.

and after hours trading has it up 4.6% - looking to dump it all for a quick skin.

I hear different...
Starbucks to close 600 'underperforming' stores

Tue Jul 1, 6:22 PM ET

American coffeeshop giant Starbucks said Thursday it would close some 600 "underperforming company-operated stores in the US market as part of a reorganization to pump up profitability.

"This decision is a result of a rigorous evaluation of the US company-operated store portfolio and includes the 100 stores targeted for closure in the company's previously announced plans," the Seattle, Washington, company said in a statement.

Starbucks also said it expects to open fewer than 200 new US company-operated stores in fiscal 2009.

In employment, Starbucks said full-time and part-time retail positions "will be eliminated," but many employees will be able to take available positions at nearby Starbucks stores.

"In January, we committed to transforming the company through a series of critical and strategic initiatives to improve the current state of our US business and build the business for the long term," stated Howard Schultz, chairman, president and chief executive.

"Our executive and field leadership teams conducted an extensive review of our US company-operated store portfolio with a goal of enabling our organization to focus its efforts on locations where we can more effectively improve the customer experience."

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

I hear different...
Closing 600 stores domestically. Opening 200 stores internationally.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Meh, it's just smart business. If I had the attention span to follow single stocks, I'd buy right now.

So many companies are afraid to cut the fat. To me it's a sign of good (for business... not community) executive leadership that they aggressively expand, check themselves, pick the good ones and drop the rest so they can keep expanding.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i ate sarious poo today (closed under 15 for the first time in ages) :sniffle:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
sell a "covered call" option? for Friday July 18 expiration the $16 call is currently selling for $.19. maybe enable you to limit your downside risk a bit? (note, am NOT an expert on this, talk to TheJoker for serious advice...)

edit - hell, August's call option at $16 is selling for $.66, and the $17 call is $.38. you could sell a $17 call, cash out if/when it hits 17, and if it doesn't, you just made $.38/share.

Last edited: