Quantcast

hey, Toninator, and jncarpenter

J

JRB

hahaha - build that thing up so we can ride.

*if it is dry enough (which is highley unlikely) I am riding the green belt with you on Sunday.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i haven't got the build yet. why do forks have to be so expensive? and mango King headsets take a while.

it's been lightly raining, to decent downpour all day.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
i haven't got the build yet. why do forks have to be so expensive? and mango King headsets take a while.

it's been lightly raining, to decent downpour all day.
What fork do you want??? Get a gold hope and scratch that King idea. Boycott.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
no gold, orange. that's going to be my 'graduation ring'...an orange King headset.

i haven't decided on a fork yet. i was thinking a Pike or Marzocchi-something. a Float is the ol' standby if i can't make up my mind.

J

JRB

Get an All Mountain. Performance has them on sale. The SLs. I had one by mistake, and it looked nice.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
i think that's what i was looking at. fork decisions are hard.
Having looked at it in person, I liked it a lot. The internals are about the same as my Z150 SL. About the same. The quality was nice, and it should ride just like the Z150 SL. If it had 20mm dropouts, I would have kept it. It's cheap enough to get you going on a really nice fork for now. Unless you want to run a thru axle.

J

JRB

I would call performance tech support to make sure it is the right one though. They are the only intelligent people in that building.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
....the 06 Z1 Light ETA makes a perfect fork for the Spot (it's what I was running). 130mm for the more xc type rides & 150mm for the more aggressive stuff. If you tend to like the steeper angles, you may want to consider the Pikes. I have been so happy with the feel of the 66 SL, I could definitely recommend the Z1 SL (adjustable from 130-150) & all black I might add!:)

In case you haven't seen it yet, REVENGE of the NINJA!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
the Z1 Light is certainly up near the top of my list. i need to find the weight of it. a site with a-c heights would be cool, too. hmmm...

oh...i've got a question...the headtube is already cleaned up for a King headset, right?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
the Inbred said:
the Z1 Light is certainly up near the top of my list. i need to find the weight of it. a site with a-c heights would be cool, too. hmmm...

oh...i've got a question...the headtube is already cleaned up for a King headset, right?
...my Z1 Light is 5.5#.
Fork name: 2006 - Z1 LIGHT ETA
Travel:130mm-150mm
Length (mm): 518.5-538.5
Offset (mm): 44,7
Weight (Kg): 2227 gr (without steerer)

....headtube is ready for a King....just pulled one out:)

J

JRB

the Inbred said:

ha - I just bought one used today from a cat from Leander. It feels pretty nice. It is supposed to be just under 5 lbs. You can certainly ride mine on the Reign. You can also try my Z150 SL to see if you like it. I also have a Z1 FR SL you can try. It's an 03, and if you didn't mind it until you get some dough for a new fork, I can sell it fairly cheaply. Anyway - I have a couple of things you can try, both 130mm and 150mm.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
loco said:
ha - I just bought one used today from a cat from Leander. It feels pretty nice. It is supposed to be just under 5 lbs. You can certainly ride mine on the Reign. You can also try my Z150 SL to see if you like it. I also have a Z1 FR SL you can try. It's an 03, and if you didn't mind it until you get some dough for a new fork, I can sell it fairly cheaply. Anyway - I have a couple of things you can try, both 130mm and 150mm.
....the Z1 SL is just under 5#...the Z1 Light has one coil in it & mine weighs almost exactly 5.5#.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
jnc, can you tell me a little about the DHX (like any problems you've had and whatnot)? i'm thinking about trading it in and getting a used RP3 to be Pushed. this is just an idea in my head right now, nothing set.

Ton, with this vintage bottle of 2003 Night Train, there's not telling what this party might end up turning into.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
jnc, can you tell me a little about the DHX (like any problems you've had and whatnot)? i'm thinking about trading it in and getting a used RP3 to be Pushed. this is just an idea in my head right now, nothing set.

Ton, with this vintage bottle of 2003 Night Train, there's not telling what this party might end up turning into.
What's the stroke on it? I have an RP3 you can try too. :D I have a lot of parts. Send your number to me again.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
7.5x2.0

how do the reducers/ eyelet things work? do they stay with the frame, or go with the shock?
They go with the shock, but mine is a 7.785 x 2.0 - I don't know if that will work or not. It will likely mess with the geometry.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
the Inbred said:
jnc, can you tell me a little about the DHX (like any problems you've had and whatnot)? i'm thinking about trading it in and getting a used RP3 to be Pushed. this is just an idea in my head right now, nothing set..
...I had zero problems with that DHX. I was debating which shock to sell with the Spot (DHX coil or air), but decided that the air would allow me an easier setup when swapping between the 5-6" rear assemblies. The DHX coil is noticeably more plush than the RP3 & easily as good a pedaller when setup properly. I personally didn't care for the lack of small bump compliance with the RP3....also, Turner had to remanufacture their rockers (bumped travel from 5.1 to 5.3") to add slightly more leverage in order for the RP3 to obtain full travel (ramps up too much with lower leverage rates...). The DHX air has a much better feel IMHO....I have never ridden a pushed RP3 however. The RP3 does lose a pound or so over the coil tho....if thats your thing. Personally I would have the DHX coil pushed, or trade for a DHX air.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
getting the DHX Pushed was the first thing to come to mind, but i don't see it listed on their site. they've got the press release from January stating that SC Syndicate would be on Pushed DHXs, though.

searched here and found this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143043&highlight=DHX+Pushed in which Push said something about adding services "very soon." looks like i'll hang onto it and find me a Ti spring later on, since they aren't exactly cheap.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
the Inbred said:
getting the DHX Pushed was the first thing to come to mind, but i don't see it listed on their site. they've got the press release from January stating that SC Syndicate would be on Pushed DHXs, though.

searched here and found this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143043&highlight=DHX+Pushed in which Push said something about adding services "very soon." looks like i'll hang onto it and find me a Ti spring later on, since they aren't exactly cheap.
...yeah, Darren is nearly ready to begin receiving the DHXc's for treatment. Re: the Ti coil, unless you are really into the "bling" qualities...a Ti coil on a 2" stroke shock is only gonna net you a savings of merely an ounce or 2 (depending on your spring weight). I would look into the weight savings before you throw down the cash.

J

JRB

Did you ever get this thing built up, Dustin??? Did you decide on a fork???

J

JRB

jncarpenter said:
....the Z1 SL is just under 5#...the Z1 Light has one coil in it & mine weighs almost exactly 5.5#.

Regardless of the weight, I am diggin' this fork a lot.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
loco said:
Did you ever get this thing built up, Dustin??? Did you decide on a fork???
Fork = Pike 426 Dual-Air

waiting to hear back from Beth on cost. sent her a PM last week, and another this morning.