Quantcast

Hey Toshi (or other Mac geeks)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Any idea how to mount an OSX .dmg on a machine running OS9?

I'm trying to install Tiger on a G4's external USB 2 drive (and leave the internal alone to run Classic) that does not have a DVD.

Sorry to post in The Lounge, but I thought I'd get a faster response.

Thanks!

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Disk Copy doesn't do it? how are you planning on booting from a .dmg anyway tho?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Disk Copy won't and I tried an old Shrink Wrap that acted like it was going to make an .img from a networked disk (Tiger), but said I didn't have enough memory (even though I jacked it up to 300MB). I guess you're right on the boot... Screw it, I have Panther CD's I'll use and buy a DVD later on...

Thanks!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I'm not sure how you got a tiger .dmg in OS 9, but if you can somehow look inside the images or the DVD, you should be able to make a startup CD that will just install the packages you need. I don't believe you can mount a .dmg in OS 9.

Most of the Tiger DVD is programming tools and languages you don't need anyway. You'll should be able to put all the packages you need and the boot folders on a CD. Basically, you want to take out the XCode tools folder and pare down the packages in System/Installation to just OSInstall.mpkg, Essentials.pkg, AdditionalEssentials.pkg, and maybe one or two others, and take out brazilian and all that other junk.

'course, if you can't get inside the .dmg you might be SOL...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I made a .dmg on my OSX running machine and then shared it and copied it from the network and tried to "pry" it open on the machine running 9.

I'l try the "hatchet" approach, I think that may work.

Thanks!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
If you have an OS X running machine you should be able to install it on the USB disk then boot your G4 off the USB disk. Unlike Windows, OS X contains drivers for all previous hardware so you can swap disks around and boot different machines. I do this all the time for servers that don't have a screen attached and are in a different building.

If your OS X machine doesn't have USB 2, you can connect the USB disk to the G4, boot the G4 while holding T, so it's in firewire mode, plug it into the OS X machine using firewire, and you should be able to see the USB disk through the G4 in OS X, and install onto the USB disk off of the tiger DVD in your OS X machine, using the G4 as a bridge.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Barbaton said:
If you have an OS X running machine you should be able to install it on the USB disk then boot your G4 off the USB disk. Unlike Windows, OS X contains drivers for all previous hardware so you can swap disks around and boot different machines. I do this all the time for servers that don't have a screen attached and are in a different building.

If your OS X machine doesn't have USB 2, you can connect the USB disk to the G4, boot the G4 while holding T, so it's in firewire mode, plug it into the OS X machine using firewire, and you should be able to see the USB disk through the G4 in OS X, and install onto the USB disk off of the tiger DVD in your OS X machine, using the G4 as a bridge.
Holy crap, I'm an idiot. I'm trying it now.
:thumb:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I reformatted the drive (Mac OS extended), and tried to install (Can't install on this volume) If I format as Unix, the OS 9 machine won't see it right?

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I just loaded up Tiger on mine - thank goodness I upgraded from Panther - reading this tread made my head hurt. Although, now I am having a bit of a problem w/ Norton and Tiger.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
stinkyboy said:
I reformatted the drive (Mac OS extended), and tried to install (Can't install on this volume) If I format as Unix, the OS 9 machine won't see it right?
That's odd. You should be able to install there. Formatting as Unix is not recommended, and a lot of OS X stuff won't work properly.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Apparently, it's impossible to install OSX on a USB drive. Why? I dunno. I can install OS9 without a problem... I installed X on a firewire drive at home fine, but I don't want to run into problems booting from an external at work... Any additional suggestions to make my life easier?

This is really cutting into my "annoying posts" time...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
suck it up and just use the external fw drive.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Toshi said:
suck it up and just use the external fw drive.
My home drive? Never. I just bought the USB for work from Fry's since it was cheap. Looks like it's back to Fry's to get a FW...

Thanks fellas!