Quantcast

Hey you smokers....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I truely wish you could spend a day or two here at National Jewish Medical Research Center in Denver and see what you fate will more than likely be when you are older.

It is really truely sad to think smoking is something a lot of people do for fun or to look cool. Ain't nothing fun aout having to live with the effects and ain't a damn thing cool about toting around an O2 bottle for the rest of your life...

:dead:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
N8 said:
I truely wish you could spend a day or two here at National Jewish Medical Research Center in Denver and see what you fate will more than likely be when you are older.

It is really truely sad to think smoking is something a lot of people do for fun or to look cool. Ain't nothing fun aout having to live with the effects and ain't a damn thing cool about toting around an O2 bottle for the rest of your life...

:dead:
Spot on man... spot on. Working in a hospital I see the results of peoples bad lifestyle choices and it is not pretty. It's very sad to think that the problems were caused by their own preventable actions.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
What this thread needs is a pic of one of those black shrivled lungs they passed around the class in middle school.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Tenchiro said:
What this thread needs is a pic of one of those black shrivled lungs they passed around the class in middle school.
I wish I had taken a photo of a guy who was in the waiting room yesterday who'd smoked for only 10 years and now looked like he was gasping for air like a fish out of water..... it would be a far greater deturent.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cigars and pipes are where it's at.

Not that I smoke. I just love the smell of them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
:think:

you *like* the smell of cigars?

i think i'd rather smell rotting skunks. covered w/ fish sauce.
Over cig's, yes. My uncle always used to smoke them when we would visit in PA. Either that or a pipe. I guess it depends on the quality of the tobacco.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
.:Jeenyus:. said:
I don't get it. It seems to be the cool thing for kids to do here at the HS these days.
I think that's universal. It was cool when I was in high school.. it was cool when my parents were in high school too. I tried smoking in high school to be cool, I'm just glad I didn't get hooked.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I like New York, I can go out to a bar and crash in the same clothes. Here in VA, where smoking will ALWAYS be legal, no matter how drunk or tired I am, if I smell like smoke, the clothes go into the dirty clothes basket, and I go into the shower!

patmiass123

Chimp
Oct 11, 2005
Lee, Mass
my friend has been smoking for like 6 years and hes 18 now and just bein lucky he went to the doctors last year, and he was told that he has chronic lung disease for smoking for only 6 years when people smoke for 40 years and nothing is wrong with them.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
It does seem that less and less young adults are smoking these days. If someone can make it through high school and their freshman year of college without picking up smoking, chances are pretty good they will be smoke free for life.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
N8 said:
I wish I had taken a photo of a guy who was in the waiting room yesterday who'd smoked for only 10 years and now looked like he was gasping for air like a fish out of water..... it would be a far greater deturent.

"ONLY" 10 years, huh?

that's a long-ass time. if i had to guess, i'd say that most smokers probably don't smoke for more than 4-5 years.

i don't know 'chit' though, so don't listen to me. i just come here when it's boring.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
AlmostHeaven said:
"ONLY" 10 years, huh?

that's a long-ass time. if i had to guess, i'd say that most smokers probably don't smoke for more than 4-5 years.

i don't know 'chit' though, so don't listen to me. i just come here when it's boring.

No, I think you are totally wrong. If you start smoking in highschool, you are not going to quit in college. Hell, even if you start smoking in college and quit after your first year out thats 5 years.

I think most people that smoke smoke at LEAST 4-5 years, more likely 10

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
not meaning to mix up the pot, but would any of yall take the same position on something like...uhh....alcohol.

I agree that smoking is bad, it does many harmful things to your body. I'm not a smoker, never have been one. But we must be careful if we choose champion the idea to regulate a person's "choice". Alcohol, given the right environment, could be the next "vice" to go after.

If you do some research, you will find the obvious things, about 400,000 folks die each year from smoking/tobacco related deaths, where by comparison 80,000 year die from AAF (alcohol associated fatalities), that number does not include the individual loss of life from drunk-driving "victims". Also, the average smoker out-lives the average alcoholic nearly 50-1. The average smoker has almost no risk of killing an innocent driver, the average person who smokes is highly unlikely to get "jizz'd" up on nicotine and rape someone, be involved in domestic violence or commit a voilent crime or suicide, base soley on the effects of smoking, where-as study after study has proven that alcohol, a mind altering substance has direct effect on those social issues, and acutally enhances the likelihood of those thigs happening when introduced into the person. Essentially, what smoking has in straight numbers, alcohol has in a combination of stats and "social distortions".

Of course, there is also no proof that second hand alcohol even exists or can cause a "contact high". Even though I've been to parties where keg-stands were the "cover-charge". And I have been injured by another drunk person (beer bottle to the head) even thogh I was minding my own business watching the "cat fight". 17 stiches..oh well.

I believe that companies who made smoking more addictive should be regulated and made to take the addictive nicotine out of the items....but are we trying to govern social behavior, and that once that is acccomplished just one time, it is easy to go on to the next step, and it gets easier every time we, through laws and ordinances do it, and finally, you find yourself in a society of far less tolerable of some personal freedoms.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Sput-

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
here in North Carolina, people smoke a lifetime.....or like was just said..until they die. I grew up in a house with a parent who smoked...I have been asking my mom to stop smoking for 20 years, she finally has stopped, its a horrible habit, so don't take my previous post to think that I think otherwise...but she admitts, it was her choice and she does not think people should be able to blame someone else for their choice.

Sput-

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Sputneck, some good points raised there. I am not going to disagree with you, but the way I understand it, alchohol is not AS addictive as cigarettes. Occasional alcohol use is not as detremental to your own health as smoking. Yes, boozers cause more of a PUBLIC risk, but that is only the people who are unresponsible. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unresponsible drinkers out there.

Now, that being said, being addicted to booze, and being addicted to smoking are BOTH very bad for you health, just in different ways. But in my experiance, most of the people I know that drink do it occasionally, and are responsible. Most of the people I know that smoke, smoke everyday.

I do find it sort of ironically funny that I am watching cops as I am writing this, and the last two things that have happened have involved booze.

I have never seen anyone on Cops getting arrested for smoking related issues :think:

SPUTNECK

Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Raleigh, NC
yeah man, sometimes the world looks completly twisted on so many issues...and then I realize it was the yeager-bomb kicking in. :rolleyes:

Think about it....for every warning label, someone has won a lawsuit for doing exactly that....now some of those things are legit, but my buddy had a computer desk that had warning "do not tow behind car"....ok its a computer desk!...I also have a pair of army boots that the insert says "do not eat".....:cool:

thanks for the reply, I was worried about getting flamed!

Sput-