Quantcast

Hey you, wanna buy a smart watch?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
hmmm

yeah mine isn't SOLID GOLD but it is definitely geared toward the feminine set.

If you're looking for just HR and O2, do you have any interest in my old Garmin Vivosmart 4? It has pretty good HR, particularly when a workout is activated, and measures SPO2 overnight. It was absolute trash at tracking activities with connected GPS and the altimeter is broken (makes you feel good climbing 70 floors a day though). I don't want any money- yours to try. If you hate it, send it back or strap it to your cat or something. Now (black friday) is an awesome time to buy a device though, inspire 2s are $60, luxes are $100, other things cost prices

I will say that HR tracking when not in a workout is pretty gash on any device I've had so far. It's infuriating that my HR strap will say I'm doing 125bpm and my tracker (whether Garmin or Fitbit) will say I'm at 60BPM. Once I activate a workout mode they all track pretty well, but it would be nice to see it pick up the change in my heartrate by itself.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I hadn't looked at Garmin for a long time, didn't even know they did O2.
I will still get the Withings because of the FDA approval and the up to month long battery life.
I don't track rides, seeing how slow I am is sad.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I said I wouldn't buy another smart watch but it seems the French got FDA clearance on the oxygen sensor and all I want a smart watch for is pulse and oxy.
I have to get an ultrasound on my heart soon because of shitty hearts on my family, my brother had open heart surgery a few months ago.
The Withings is shit, for sleep it does an 02 check every half hour and pulse every 10 minutes, that's pretty useless for sleep disorders.
I thought it must have been to save battery but the watch is still showing 100% charge.

I'll return it as it's not really fit for purpose.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Anyone interested in a 10 months old Fenix 5 that has only been used for bike rides? :brows:
How much you looking to get for that thing? Which 5?

My poor Fenix 3 really wants to retire, still debating another smart watch or grabbing a more basic strap like Halo or Whoop and actually wearing one of my stack of watches that currently just sit in a drawer

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
The Withings is shit, for sleep it does an 02 check every half hour and pulse every 10 minutes, that's pretty useless for sleep disorders.
I thought it must have been to save battery but the watch is still showing 100% charge.

I'll return it as it's not really fit for purpose.
Sorry to hear that. Can you change settings? My samsung would read every 10m but had an option for constant measurement.

The vivosmart would measure SPO2 constantly, but only for a certain amount of time, like an hour or so? It was weird. I'd sleep for 8 hours and have SPO2 for just a portion. Not sure how the fitbit measures it. I get a report with a single number each morning.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sorry to hear that. Can you change settings? My samsung would read every 10m but had an option for constant measurement.

The vivosmart would measure SPO2 constantly, but only for a certain amount of time, like an hour or so? It was weird. I'd sleep for 8 hours and have SPO2 for just a portion. Not sure how the fitbit measures it. I get a report with a single number each morning.
I don't think so, a firmware update could make it a really useful watch but as it is at seems to favor battery life over all else. I have it set to Always On, but that still only means it is active when you are supposedly asleep or you do a manual test.
Finding hard data on sample rates seems really difficult, I emailed them but got a stupid generic reply assuming I was a stupid generic person that emailed before reading.
Maybe a Suunto Peak 9 would be a better option, but a few reviews suggest the oximeter function is a bit shit-

EDIT- I am going to return the watch out of spite now, tech help is torture. I basically left off at I am not mad I am just disappointed and will be returning the watch.

Last edited: