Quantcast

Hey you, wanna buy a smart watch?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Yo...

So I took a look and it looks like there are only a few watches that offer ECG- the Samsung GW3/4, Apple Watch whatever, and Fitbit Sense and Charge 5.

It looks like they use spot checks rather than continuous monitoring, unless I am mistaken. It may be worth looking into if that's your major use for it.

I have plusses and minuses in my mind for all of these watches. I loved my samsung until they started inserting ads everywhere, and I hated wearing a 46mm stainless steel watch to bed or while riding. They also killed the watch for me by locking it to samsung watches only in the GW3 and 4 generations.The apple watch's battery won't last overnight otherwise I would have one. I have no idea why they made something that can track sleep but doesn't last long enough to do so. I have no experience with the fitbit sense, but I am currently using a Fitbit luxe to track sleep and recovery. I really like how small it is and how useful it is as well. Time will tell if it lasts, but if you're looking for ecg in a small form factor, the charge 5 may not be a bad way to go. I wear my luxe on my right wrist and my real watch on my left, and I leave the fitbit on for rides, swimming, everything.

I'm not sure when I last updated this post, but I used the galaxy watch for about 3 years, a vivosmart 4 for 1 year (before it died) and now the luxe for a little less than a year.
The closest I've found so far seems to be something like this random brand:

HR, SpO2, HRV, ECG, sleep monitoring - the only thing it doesn't have is temperature monitoring...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I bought a Suunto 9 Peak a month or so ago, it is crap for sleep and blood oxygen and the app seems more dated than the Garmin app I was using 3-4yrs back.
For sleep you can't zoom in on your HR and for sleep Oxygen % you have to manually start it each night and for no reason it seems to stop taking measurements part way through the night.

For exercise it seems fine.
Nabbed my old man a Suunto 5 for $135AU, will be good enough for his rides.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the app seems more dated than the Garmin app I was using 3-4yrs back
I thought briefly about jumping from my Apple Watch (series 5!) to a Fenix, but their interface seemed just like my old Vivoactive HR, still amazingly clunky and featureless outside the sports logging metrics…

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I thought briefly about jumping from my Apple Watch (series 5!) to a Fenix, but their interface seemed just like my old Vivoactive HR, still amazingly clunky and featureless outside the sports logging metrics…
For my use the Garmin app was pretty good.
I think I mentioned it previously but because it captured the sleep HR very frequently I could see if sleep apnea was causing me issues without having to wear an o2 monitor.

With the Withings and Suunto that is impossible and the o2 sensor on both is pretty useless because of lacklustre apps.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I am still using my fitbit luxe for sleep and step tracking, plus notifications while working in the lab. It's a useful little device that falls a bit flat for activity tracking.

I was just gifted a 735xt for run and tri tracking. Not sure I'll wear it regularly as I'm out of the smartwatch game to go back to fashion watches, but will throw it on for runs and certainly for races. Has a lot of the features I want, like HR broadcast and HR strap connection. Doesn't have music nor HRV tracking, but those are another $300 worth of features.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thanks, y’all. I’d been thinking about getting into the fitness tracker game, but this thread made me remember how much i hate wearing a watch.
Luckily for your wrist you can make your bike look like a dork with this trendy watch mount-
1671800371423.png

Or you could get a bike GPS and a heart rate strap.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
daily charging vs monthly charging. also, Garmin watches are first and foremost sports watches. not smart watches.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
love my 830. I had to buy a bunch of mounts for it tho. it even works with my kinetic trainer.
I've started gobbling up cool mounts for my various bikes. Have a stem mount for the roadie, an aero mount for the TT, a HB mount for the MTB, and a clamp on for the spooky.
daily charging vs monthly charging. also, Garmin watches are first and foremost sports watches. not smart watches.
Garmins are seriously clunky compared to the smart watches...but they also work correctly every time. My fitbit is a touch screen and it's annoying to use unless condiitons are perfect (no gloves, no water on screen, clean fingers), whereas my garmin watch experience has been button focused, minimalist, and purely functional. The smart watches do way more, but it's nice to have simplicity if you are active or conditions aren't perfect.

I also really like the garmin connect app. It's pretty simple and straightforward, whereas fitbit is always trying to sell me shit and there isn't a clear place to see everything I want, it's a bit broken up. The vivosmart 4 I had was trash though, the fitbit has better sleep tracking, step tracking, connected GPS, HR while not actively tracking, notifications, and touch capabilities. I really want another garmin tracker so i can move away from google and fitbit, but the vivosmart 5 is a vivosmart 5 that's a little bigger.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've started gobbling up cool mounts for my various bikes. Have a stem mount for the roadie, an aero mount for the TT, a HB mount for the MTB, and a clamp on for the spooky.

Garmins are seriously clunky compared to the smart watches...but they also work correctly every time. My fitbit is a touch screen and it's annoying to use unless condiitons are perfect (no gloves, no water on screen, clean fingers), whereas my garmin watch experience has been button focused, minimalist, and purely functional. The smart watches do way more, but it's nice to have simplicity if you are active or conditions aren't perfect.

I also really like the garmin connect app. It's pretty simple and straightforward, whereas fitbit is always trying to sell me shit and there isn't a clear place to see everything I want, it's a bit broken up. The vivosmart 4 I had was trash though, the fitbit has better sleep tracking, step tracking, connected GPS, HR while not actively tracking, notifications, and touch capabilities. I really want another garmin tracker so i can move away from google and fitbit, but the vivosmart 5 is a vivosmart 5 that's a little bigger.
the Garmin connect web portal is very nice too.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have been wearing my Suunto to work for close to two months, on the first week the screen started flashing but after that it has been fine. If I liked it I wouldn't be treating it like crap but it is slowly earning my respect, it has been submerged in diesel, hyd fluid and goes hard up against bolt heads and the glass is still scratch free.
6583142359837266542.jpg

Stupid color band was $80 cheaper than black so I went with the stupid color one.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I picked up a Garmin Epix Pro (God what a terrible name) several months ago. I got it for hiking for the OLED screen, so I can load hike maps on it and don't need to fiddle with my phone every time I want to check if we're on track. It's a revelation for scrambles where there's basically no trail but you really want to stay on track - worth every penny just for that. My health insurance provides a 20% discount, too.

I can tell that it's not a great "smartwatch" - everything surrounding notifications and such is clunky. But fortunately, I have no use for nearly all of the smartwatch functionality, and mostly wanted a fitness & GPS device. Battery life is a couple of weeks between charges depending on how much I use it, which seems pretty good for an OLED screen. It has tracked/guided about 500 miles of hiking since I've had it.

It's got the hardware for ECG but it hasn't been approved by the FDA yet so the feature isn't there.

Overall I'm a big fan - only thing I really wish is that it had better haptics for notifications. I wouldn't mind getting a very small, subtle buzz for notifications, but I have to choose between my whole wrist vibrating (which is clearly audible as well) or an audible alert, so I've just turned them off entirely.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
This thing looks handy for me for night time Oxygen monitoring, but it does no normal smart watch stuff.
1703596465207.png

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
This thing looks handy for me for night time Oxygen monitoring, but it does no normal smart watch stuff.
View attachment 205576
Is it continuous monitoring, or just a one off reading from during the night?

I have the smart stuff turned off on my charge 5, but the o2 is just at night, not on demand.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is it continuous monitoring, or just a one off reading from during the night?

I have the smart stuff turned off on my charge 5, but the o2 is just at night, not on demand.
Continuous, so much so that I don't think you get 24hrs out of a charge.
Masimo bought Sound United so maybe they will add some sort of music features to bring battery life down further.....? Buying Sound united seemed like an odd purchase.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I have been wearing my Suunto to work for close to two months, on the first week the screen started flashing but after that it has been fine. If I liked it I wouldn't be treating it like crap but it is slowly earning my respect, it has been submerged in diesel, hyd fluid and goes hard up against bolt heads and the glass is still scratch free.
View attachment 191920
Stupid color band was $80 cheaper than black so I went with the stupid color one.
Seems it's done 14 months at work now, still not an issue, I've sprayed brake clean in to the buttons because there was so much dirt/whatever in there that the buttons wouldn't move, it's been in a glass with denture cleaner a few times too.
The original band is still going strong and a pin has only fallen out once which is pretty impressive as the band stretches like crazy at times.

The app is better, but it still won't record my O2 at night which is the only reason I bought it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Interesting timing. I’ve been looking for a new device as I haven’t been able to find something that ticks all of the boxes. I want something that tracks recovery and workouts and has music onboard. Garmin comes close but their sleep tracking sucks and the watch I’d like the most is enormous (46mm). So, my wife and I decided to get matching Apple Watches to give them a shot. I guess we’ll see how they compare, but the sleep tracking is said to be the best and I hate the Google/fitbit walled garden of data. I might pair with Athlytic to get an idea of recovery scores but we will see.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I needed a dive computer. A shocking number of them still have user replaceable AA or AAA batteries (or similar). Which is fine and all but the process needs to be handled meticulously as to not render that waterproof seal well, not waterproof. Went with Garmin as per tradition, in large part because of work discount(s).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I needed a dive computer. A shocking number of them still have user replaceable AA or AAA batteries (or similar). Which is fine and all but the process needs to be handled meticulously as to not render that waterproof seal well, not waterproof. Went with Garmin as per tradition, in large part because of work discount(s).
I wonder if rechargeables would go bad too quickly or suffer corrosion too fast. Nothing beats a regular battery for knowing you’ve got full charge from the start.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I wonder if rechargeables would go bad too quickly or suffer corrosion too fast. Nothing beats a regular battery for knowing you’ve got full charge from the start.
They're well sealed, but you have to travel with extra batteries because of how much energy they use, especially when using air integration. A lot of times the batteries need replaced before they're fully spent, especially if you are going out for a day of boat diving.

Unsurprisingly, the Garmin dive watch has better battery life than dive computers from dive specific companies. I was in the water for about 80 minutes yesterday using air integration and used about 5-6% of the charge.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Do they not all basically have a walled garden of data? I thought Apple treated their health data pretty much the same way.
Kind of, Fitbit is just especially shitty. Fitbit doesn’t allow import nor export of data, in other words I can’t see activities from Strava in Fitbit, and I can’t easily see steps nor sleep in apple health. Garmin, for example, will share sleep, steps, and activities with Apple health and Strava. I actually really like the integration between apple health and Garmin and if Garmin offered the right device or combination of features, I’d be all over it. Another example, Garmin will share daily heart rate tracking with apple health, but Fitbit only allows a single data point of HR out.

I don’t know if Apple will share with Garmin, but I’m not sure how much I care as I’ve started to center around apple health as a collector of health info. I’m planning on using Athlytic to help with general health tracking, sort of as an emulator of Garmin’s Body battery or fitbit’s readiness score. Sadly Fitbit charges extra ($90) to see long term health tracking. Apple and Garmin are free, and Athlytic is cheap ($30). I think what I really want is a Whoop strap with some additional features, but I don’t want to be forced into an expensive subscription for it, and Apple is more accurate/smaller/better functionality than Garmin, and none of the Polar/Coros/etc alternatives come close.

Final point of frustration, apparently Garmin is not able to integrate data from other sources to their body battery metric. So, If I do a 50 mile Bike ride but opt to leave my watch at home, it will think I’ve done nothing All day….meaning I have to always wear my device if I want any kind of constant tracking. That’s wack.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kind of, Fitbit is just especially shitty. Fitbit doesn’t allow import nor export of data, in other words I can’t see activities from Strava in Fitbit, and I can’t easily see steps nor sleep in apple health. Garmin, for example, will share sleep, steps, and activities with Apple health and Strava. I actually really like the integration between apple health and Garmin and if Garmin offered the right device or combination of features, I’d be all over it. Another example, Garmin will share daily heart rate tracking with apple health, but Fitbit only allows a single data point of HR out.

I don’t know if Apple will share with Garmin, but I’m not sure how much I care as I’ve started to center around apple health as a collector of health info. I’m planning on using Athlytic to help with general health tracking, sort of as an emulator of Garmin’s Body battery or fitbit’s readiness score. Sadly Fitbit charges extra ($90) to see long term health tracking. Apple and Garmin are free, and Athlytic is cheap ($30). I think what I really want is a Whoop strap with some additional features, but I don’t want to be forced into an expensive subscription for it, and Apple is more accurate/smaller/better functionality than Garmin, and none of the Polar/Coros/etc alternatives come close.

Final point of frustration, apparently Garmin is not able to integrate data from other sources to their body battery metric. So, If I do a 50 mile Bike ride but opt to leave my watch at home, it will think I’ve done nothing All day….meaning I have to always wear my device if I want any kind of constant tracking. That’s wack.
The point of these types of watches is sorta to wear them all the time.

The Garmin hrm pro plus will track some metrics internally (steps, heart rate, calories, intensity minutes) and then sync when a watch is in range, buts it's a $130 chest strap.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@Sandwich ah, was just curious because I haven't really tried to integrated products from other vendors - I essentially only use the Garmin tools.

I can add out-of-band activities to Garmin Connect but as an IT person, I have a natural distrust of highly opaque metrics like "body battery" so I haven't really tried anything like that yet. Thanks for the info.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The point of these types of watches is sorta to wear them all the time.

The Garmin hrm pro plus will track some metrics internally (steps, heart rate, calories, intensity minutes) and then sync when a watch is in range, buts it's a $130 chest strap.
well yes but actually no. Garmin should be able to take data from my 530, or my 735, or my vivosmart band and combine it to figure out energy in or energy out. They won’t/don’t, so I have to wear my Garmin watch while I ride with my garmin Computer if I want a measure of energy expenditure or whatever. I don’t like to wear my watch on The bike if I don’t have to, so that kind of sucks And forces me into thinking about a third party system, like apple health or whatever.
@Sandwich ah, was just curious because I haven't really tried to integrated products from other vendors - I essentially only use the Garmin tools.

I can add out-of-band activities to Garmin Connect but as an IT person, I have a natural distrust of highly opaque metrics like "body battery" so I haven't really tried anything like that yet. Thanks for the info.
Garmin’s ecosystem is one of the best, but if I have to wear something 24/7 then I want it to be small and sleek/unobtrusive. Most of Garmin’s watches are pretty big aside from the 165/vivoactive5, which lose some of the features I want, and since I can’t accumulate my data under the same umbrella without multiple apps anyways, I may as well get the best which sounds like the apple product for now.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

fitbit<>Strava https://strava.fitbit.com/

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So you absolutely can pair with strava, but you can't get your data out and into apple health (or Garmin connect). I have an app for sharing it which works OK, but it won't send HR data more than once per day, so it's an average of all HR measurements over the course of 24hr and not terribly useful. I could just keep it in fitbit, but I find apple health/fitness to be a strong motivator and fitbit still hides some metrics behind a paywall in the premium app. Also, my phone GPS apparently blows goats, so when I ran with my fitbit or vivosmart, I'd get more mileage than my 735XT, and that watch agrees with an actual GPS map meaning the tethered GPS/phone GPS is wrong.