Quantcast

HFX Hayes rebuild ?'s

2tirefire

Chimp
Jun 1, 2009
I didn't want to barge in on the gents thread above, so hopefully I can get some help with my current issues.

It seems that my system needs a complete rebuild from my diagnosis. I am experiencing some leaking through the small hole in the lever/master cylinder right by the inner side of the bars. I can't make it do it all the time, but it will leak occasionaly. When I squeeze the brake lever rapidly I think I can vaguely hear air escaping from that hole also.

My rear brake caliper seems to be leaking a bit of fluid from the piston as I can see it building up and attracting dirt on the piston surrounds. I can also hear a bit of air escaping also by the piston surround.

I have read up on the instructions on rebuilding my brake system and it seems like something that is very doable by the end user, but being new to disc brakes on a bike, I would like someone to put me in my place if I am wrong, and I should just take it to my LBS and have them rebuild the masters and the calipers.

Discussions would be great. Thanks again, and RM has been a great forum to get started and understand this DH sensation!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I haven't searched this, but if you can find some basic instructions for the pistons and master cylinder, and know how to bleed a brake, then you'll be fine. The parts may even come with instructions on how to properly fit them.

You'll probably want to get some new piston seals along with your master cylinder. Did you clean the pistons with some alcohol and check if they're still attracting dust? Some residual dust will collect over a long period of time, but if it's noticeably oily, then you'll need to change and lube the seals.

pbwrench

Chimp
Apr 25, 2009
Clemson, SC
HFX's aren't difficult to bleed. The easiest thing to do is follow the manufacturer's instructions. Instead of using a bottle at the caliper end, though, I like to use a syringe. If you're replacing the master cylinder or rebuilding the caliper, there are a few pitfalls to avoid. It may be worth the $20-30 your LBS will charge for either of these. Should you choose autonomy, you'll need a Hayes bleed kit, or else:

HFX bleed fitting for the lever
two lengths of bleed hose, approx. 8 inches long
DOT 4 fluid
one syringe or Hayes bleed bottle
isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol for cleaning

no matter what, remember to remove your wheel and pads before you start. If you get DOT 4 fluid on either of these, you just may end up hating life.