Quantcast

HFX-Mag pad falls out, any suggestions?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

My brothers bike is driving me nuts. I've rebuilt the caliper with new pistons, seals, everything. Both pistons move fine, nothing wrong with any of the functions at all. While riding though he seems to have the outer pad fall off the piston post. The pad never gets lost or anything but makes using the brakes not work. I've tried replacing the springs with no real fix either.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips or hints how to keep them on the post? It's just one pad that's doing it. I can try a new set of pads as I have other Hayes brakes, it just seems odd that it would do this. I've owned 3 sets and never had one do this.

Any help is appreciated!

Chris

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Yeah, check that the springs are installed correctly for sure. Also make sure they are hooking onto the post on the pistons correctly and sitting flat. I've seen Hayes pads that are a bit finicky and feel like they have clicked in when in reality maybe only one side of the spring is actually doing any retaining. If something less than the whole spring is hooked onto the post, it's definitely possible that once used while moving, the pad could fall out or dislodge.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And you are using new springs, right?

Those things are so puny, you have to replace them when necessary.

Also, I would check the piston post. Considering that the pads stay in because of the piston post and that those things are easily damaged if the pistons are pushed back incorrectly (basically, with anything besides a 12mm open ended wrench), I would look at that carefully.