Quantcast

hi all from oregon

junkman71

Chimp
Sep 14, 2015
hi all..... I am from saint helens oregon.... been riding bikes since my teens( I am 44) started out on dept store 10 speeds, then moved on to mountain bikes for several years and had many bikes.... diamond back, cannondale, haro, raleigh, along with a few other bikes.... stopped riding for about 10 years due to work, family , relationships etc......got back into bikes about 3 years ago... picked up a walmart special genesis V2100....rode it around some till october 2012, when I had a really bad gran mal seizure and nearly died... I had a few seizures through the years but they always came up with issues with sleep apnea etc etc.....after this last one I was finally told I have had epilepsy my whole life... I was laid up for about 6-8 months before I could get back on a bike........ decided I hated the walmart bike and was hitting garage sales for bikes to fix and sell for some cash due to long term unemployment... picked up a 97 specialized rockhopper for $5 in rough shape.... I kept one of my fix and sell bikes to ride while I worked on the rockhopper( still working on it) this year I posted ads on craigslist and local facebook pages offering to haul off junk bikes for free, this year I picked up around 40 bikes... I kept 2... 1 is a 91 trek 800 ladies bike I turned into a commuter bike and a 72 schwinn varsity I turned into a single speed city bike......started working again a few months ago after almost 5 years of not having steady employment( just a few temp jobs) needless to say I have been bitten by the bike bug again

junkman71

Chimp
Sep 14, 2015
yes I know sheldon brown's page well........ did lots of research before doing my single speed conversions......lots of good info on the web if you know where to look...

junkman71

Chimp
Sep 14, 2015
my schwinn varsity was the easiest to convert..... the 2 others I had to use the rear deraileur as a chain tensioner..... I try to keep my cycling as low cost as I can, dont have much disposable income right now..... started with free bikes and put them together with parts from other free bikes whenever I could.....things like tires, grips lights and cables were my biggest expense ...... also searched thrift stores and yard sales for items too