Quantcast

Hi, I'm Alaska...have you considered drilling me lately?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
MMike said:
Ok. so what REALLY happened, prithee?

We bought Alaska from the Russians.

Thr Russians aquired it from asians who crossed the Bering Strait and aquired it from a possible native people.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
N8 said:
We bought Alaska from the Russians.

Thr Russians aquired it from asians who crossed the Bering Strait and aquired it from a possible native people.
Because 19th century Russia wasn't imperialistic at all, you know.

Go read a history book.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
fluff said:
What's a possible native?

There is some evidence of a truely "native to America" prehistoric peoples who were killed off or otherwise assimulated into the asian peoples who crossed the Bering Strait.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
N8 said:
There is some evidence of a truely "native to America" prehistoric peoples who were killed off or otherwise assimulated into the asian peoples who crossed the Bering Strait.
yup they were small of stature and had a weird skin tone.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
N8 said:
And I was hoping you'd say, 'Easier to deal with than an impossible native'.

Oh well.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I thought about that all day yesterday...and while I dont personally care about some tundratic hellhole, the larger ramifications bother me alot. I think that they could do it in a way that isnt harmful to the environment, but would still set a precedent that I dont like. So NO, they shouldnt do it.
Also, one difference here is that they arent selling off the natl. park, theyre just extracting something from it, and then supposedly returning it to its natural state, so maybe if there were some huge crisis, I could understand doing it, but at present, that isnt the case.
Relating this to the forests tho isnt quite the same. The forests wont be turned into forests with a pipe running through them, theyll be subdivisions and golf courses. I hate that worse.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
I thought about that all day yesterday...and while I dont personally care about some tundratic hellhole, the larger ramifications bother me alot. I think that they could do it in a way that isnt harmful to the environment, but would still set a precedent that I dont like. So NO, they shouldnt do it.
Also, one difference here is that they arent selling off the natl. park, theyre just extracting something from it, and then supposedly returning it to its natural state, so maybe if there were some huge crisis, I could understand doing it, but at present, that isnt the case.
Relating this to the forests tho isnt quite the same. The forests wont be turned into forests with a pipe running through them, theyll be subdivisions and golf courses. I hate that worse.
What's total acreage of forest sale compared to the millions acres of land managed by the Dept of the Interior??

Hint: 504,000,000 (1/5 the US land area) to _____

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
What's total acreage of forest sale compared to the millions acres of land managed by the Dept of the Interior??

Hint: 504,000,000 (1/5 the US land area) to _____
So maybe you'd sell just a little of your daughters virginity?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
Dude... the forest service buys and sells land all the time..
Ive been learning that Im maybe not as knowledgable about how some of this stuff is working as I thought, but I cant see how selling of hundred acre-sized chunks of Pisgah forest because we need quick cash is good management of our limited resources, sorry. There's not ALOT that i really do get bent out of shape about, but I cant stand stupidity. If they wanted to tax me an extra $50 a month, so be it, or if they want to quit blowing money giving people tax credits who dont even pay taxes, Im even more fine with that. Whatever, dont just look at things like "Well, hmmm...we need this much money, YARDSALE," and then start putting the kids beds out on the front lawn...know what I mean? I understand that there's alot that goes into managing the forests including logging, etc, but selling them in mass like this sets a precedent I dont like.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
Ive been learning that Im maybe not as knowledgable about how some of this stuff is working as I thought, but I cant see how selling of hundred acre-sized chunks of Pisgah forest because we need quick cash is good management of our limited resources, sorry. There's not ALOT that i really do get bent out of shape about, but I cant stand stupidity. If they wanted to tax me an extra $50 a month, so be it, or if they want to quit blowing money giving people tax credits who dont even pay taxes, Im even more fine with that. Whatever, dont just look at things like "Well, hmmm...we need this much money, YARDSALE," and then start putting the kids beds out on the front lawn...know what I mean? I understand that there's alot that goes into managing the forests including logging, etc, but selling them in mass like this sets a precedent I dont like.
:eek:

Next you'll be sitting down to pee....!!!!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:

N8 just likes it because his boy is doing it. If Clinton had tried this N8 would have an aneurysm he'd be so mad.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
N8 said:
:eek:

Next you'll be sitting down to pee....!!!!
Well you get pissed when they put oil pumps on your trails, I get pissed when they start selling mine. I dont see how that's different, exactly.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ridemonkey said:
Gas is so expensive because of a shortage of refineries in the US. Why isn't the government busting some ass about refineries? They are simply using high gas prices as an excuse to create policy that will be difficult or impossible to reverse later.

Several years ago the oil industry claimed that there was a chronic overcapacity in regard to oil refinereys in the southwest. And talked your govenment into paying them to dismantle them.
Anyone wanna bet that these record profit setting companys will be damanding a govenment handout to build them again? :clue:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
N8 said:
Well, seems there is a lot more oil when the price is above $50 than when it was at $16 now ain't there..?

That's likely because of the difference between resources and reserves. Resources are what is actually in the ground. Reserves are what is actually in the ground, but can be extracted for a profit.

So, does the price of oil affect oil resources? No.
Does the price of oil affect oil reserves? Yes.

Reserves increase as the price of oil increases.

:clue:

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
instead of wasting money on getting more oil, i wish our government would focus on looking into more sustainable forms of energy...

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Yes drill there in Anwar! $3.00 a gallon really sucks!
Also the Gulf of Mexico, where everyone else is drilling except the United Staes of America.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yes drill there in Anwar! $3.00 a gallon really sucks!
Also the Gulf of Mexico, where everyone else is drilling except the United Staes of America.
seeing how chevron owns or co-owns 3,000 nat'l gas & oil wells in the gulf, accounting for 8% of the world's supply, i think it's time you gag on a throatfull of fail.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
Ok fine then.
http://www.chevron.com/news/press/release/?id=2008-01-31a

Some freaks were whining about on the radio for hours about 2 weeks ago that there would be no drilling in the Gulf,but China,Mexico & others were..?
All i know is it's $3.10 today & was $3.00 yesterday.
Everything runs on fuel you morons.........Go complain to the auto industry.Not my fault,i don't manufacture vehicles.Does anyone make an electric SUV ????? I'm not buying & driving a ghey powder blue Prius.
I drove a mother f*rkin Toyota ECHO for over a year.Without A/C in 105* summer heat. Go *uck yourselves.eh!