Quantcast

HID light losing brightness?

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I've had a ToPeak HID light for about 3 years now, and lately I've noticed that the intensity of the light has gone way down. Does this mean it is time to replace the bulb? Is the battery not giving the same juice? What can I do to get it back to full brightness?

:imstupid:

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Batteries can do a limited amount of charge cycles before losing capacity. Depending on how much you used the light and what kind of battery chemistry it uses, it's possible that it's time for a new battery pack. It might be best to get in touch with Topeak.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Batteries can do a limited amount of charge cycles before losing capacity. Depending on how much you used the light and what kind of battery chemistry it uses, it's possible that it's time for a new battery pack. It might be best to get in touch with Topeak.

It has a Lithium Ion battery.
I'm not losing time (as far as I know). Just brightness...

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I think it's the bulb. My 3yo NR hid brightness has diminished with time, especially compared to the newer lights of the guys I ride with. We traded batteries one time and it had no effect on the brightness of either light.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Yeah, hid bulbs last somewhere around 10-times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs. You might have just used up the life of the bulb.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
-BB- How's the OC treating you? You're at what, 4 years now? Do you have frosted tips and say "dude" and "bro" a lot now?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage of a buddy's new battery vs yours. Bulb or Battery, one of those is bad and there is some testing to be had!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i have a Cateye Stadium 3 HID. it's old. i had to replace the battery after it failed to hold a charge, and the light still is dimmer than it was back in, what, 2002? :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
If you have a multimeter, measure the voltage of a buddy's new battery vs yours. Bulb or Battery, one of those is bad and there is some testing to be had!
Actually, without the load of the light, unless teh battery is totally destroyed, it will read the same, what you want is loaded Amperage. You need to know how much power is actually flowing out of the battery.