Quantcast

High End Trail Bikes

Magsrgod

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Hey guys this is my first post over here! I just wanted to get some of your opinions or preferably experiences with some frames I've been looking at.

Ventana El Ciclon
Turner 5 Spot
Knolly Endorphin
Ibis Mojo

I will most definitly beable to demo the Knolly and the Ibis, I'm pretty sure I can get my hands on a Turner and I definitly can't demo a Ventana. I would love to hear from people who have rode a few of these bikes or even just one of them.

Points I'm very insterested in are:

The Ibis Climbing Vs the 4-bar of the others
Their Climbing in general
Technical Descending

I live in Mass and its pretty much roots and rocks all over the trails, I've tried VPP and it's not for me, I cant really explain it but something just felt a little off with it and they trails I ride(please dont jump on me for this its a personal preferance). So as of late I've been finding myself leaving the VPP bike at home and taking the Ol' CDale Prophet out which I will never get ride of because of the smiles its gave me and the memories I have on it, but I want something new and I want it to be a rather botique bike!

Edited for accuracy

Last edited:

Yangpei

Chimp
May 31, 2005
Pasadena
Points I'm very insterested in are:

The Ibis Climbing Vs the Horst link of the others

All the bikes you listed should be excellent trail bikes. But, I don't think any of them are Horst Link bikes. The Ventana and the Turner, I believe, have faux-bar suspensions. The Ibis is DW link. And the Knolly uses their own four by 4 linkage. You are probably best served by trying to test ride as many of the options as you can.

Magsrgod

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Sorry I I really meant faux-bar bikes. I was looking at a titus bikes while typing the post:biggrin:

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
You know a properly executed "faux" bar will ride better than a mediocre OMG!!!1 1!11!1 Horst link bike....

The Knolly is a horst link bike and is probably the most interesting bike (to me) in the bunch that you listed. I'll seriously consider the Endorphin when it comes time for a new frame...but I currently ride a Turner so it'll probably be a while.

The Turner and Ventana have 2 of the best guys in the biz backing up their frames. You won't be disappointed in either one IMO assuming the geometry and fit work for you.

I personally wouldn't own the Mojo. Carbon frames and MTB don't mix in my opinion no matter what the kool-aid drinking guys on MTBR say. Plus an Ibis shouldn't be made outta carbon anyway. It probably does ride really nice though.

My ride is a Turner 5 Spot with Push rockers. It has the older horst link rear end. I bought it without riding a Turner before. It rocks. I wouldn't have any concerns about riding the TNT version. But I did hold out for a lightly used horst frame over buying a new TNT frame.

Your list contains 4 highly capable frames. Get the one that fits you best, your riding, and makes you want to go out and ride.

Yangpei

Chimp
May 31, 2005
Pasadena
If you are adding to your short list, definitely consider the Pivot Mach 5. I've only heard good things about the Pivot. You may also want to consider the Titus Moto-Lite and Ellsworth Epiphany. I used to own a ML and loved it. I currently have an 07 Epiphany and an 08 Moment - they are both awesome. But, seriously, test ride as many bikes as you can get your hands on.

Magsrgod

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Hey thanks for the replys guys! I just re-read my first thread and my spelling/grammer was atrocious. I've look at the Rize and I considered it but I dont want another Single Piviot right now I want something else. Yes the reviews on it has been great and I love Cdale but I want to keep trying different things. To be honest I've never really looked into Morewoods mostly because I've never run across them in my travels.

Well I now have a Knolly Endorphin Demo Bike sitting in my living room. Its a size medium and it feels pretty good.

Basic Build
X9 F/R
J7 185's F/R
LX Crank
Pike 454
Mavic Crossmax SX Rims
Michellen mOuntain A.T 2.35's
Sram 990 Cassette
WTB Speed V seat
Easton Stem
Race Face Evolve AM Low rise bar

I have it until Sunday so I will get 2 decent rides and one full Saturday ride in on it. Im pretty stoked about it right now!!

Yangpei

Chimp
May 31, 2005
Pasadena
I'm eager to hear how the Endorphin rides! How much does the Endorphin weigh? I looked into a Knolly DT a while back as a possible replacement for my Rogue. I ended up keeping the Rogue and doing some upgrades. Anyways, enjoy the rides and let us know what you decide.

Magsrgod

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
Knolly was 31.93 w/o pedals definitly a little bit of a heavier frame, but im still stoked to see how it rides! I wish I could get my little paws on a Ventana

Magsrgod

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
So I took it out for its first ride today and it was good. Unfortunatly it was not under ideal conditions, it had been raining since Midnight last night until about 5pm today. We went out at 6pm for a few hour ride at my favorite place. Full of roots and rocks it was a true $hit show slipping on everything. I'm hoping its nice and sunny tomorrow so I can take it out on rather dry trails and rather dry rocks and roots.

From what I could tell so far:

It descends really really well, the HA is a little more slack then my prophet and the rear suspension felt great on faster downhills. Now once it dries up some more I'll get a better idea. Climbing was a pain in the ass today so it wouldn't be fair to judge. The Knolly picks up speed very easily and was overall a fun ride today. I've also never been on the tires that were on it so I dont know how they handle the conditions around here. I'll have to do some research on them but from what I could tell I wasnt nuts about them.

The demo I have is a medium and when I ride the bike it feels pretty good, but one thing I noticed vs my prophet is that when the seal is all the way down my feet cant touch the ground flat. I can touch with my toes but not with my whole foot flat. With my Prophet seat all the way down I can easily touch flat footed, my prophet is a medium BTW. I really wonder what the small would feel like, just by looking at the small frame(shop had 2 in stock) it looks a lot smaller than the medium. The gap from the top tube to the rocker was considerably less then the gap on the medium. I'm right on the border of Small and medium and I've usually always gone with medium, I just want this purchase to be 100% right if I get it.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Knolly was 31.93 w/o pedals definitly a little bit of a heavier frame, but im still stoked to see how it rides! I wish I could get my little paws on a Ventana
FYI - Ventana used to and may still have a demo program. You would do it by contacting them directly and they would then work through the LBS of your choice to get you the demo bike you seek. I think if you like it and want to buy one they discount the cost of the demo shipping etc. etc. from the purhcase price.

Worth a call.

NJ-XC-Justin

Chimp
Jul 22, 2007
jersey
Any updates? I'll be in a similar position next year and am curious if you've tested any more bikes. I'll be looking most strongly at the Spot, Rize, ML and Mach 5.

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
thats pretty cool, a demo knolly came at the right time.

hope its been good.

all i can add is your list is great.

I believe in teh turner bike company. high regards in every aspect. no dissapointments whatsoever...

tubejockey

Chimp
Sep 9, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
Well out of the bikes you listed above that you were thinking of, if I were you I would get the Knolly. I have met him and been to his shop. He runs a great little operation and his attention to detail is amazing. His tolerance on the builds is unreal and he takes a lot of pride in his bikes. If you want a really lite trail bike it might not work for you but that bike will handle anything you throw at it. I have rode it in Whistler and on the shore trails and it is amazing. It is a little heavy for a cross country frame but it is burly enough to run downhill without too much worry.
Best of luck in your decision.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I'll probably get flamed for this but have you considered a Giant Trance X? Maestro suspension combined with a light frame and good angles? The 09 site is up. Just sayin, other than that, the Turner would get my vote.