Quantcast

High engagement point hubs

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I'm looking for a little help here. I did a search and didn't come back with anything. I'm looking for a rear hub for my 4x/DS bike. I'm looking for a high engagment point hub. I wish Hope made a high engagement point hub. I currently use the Hope Pro II (24pt) and I like it, but I feel like a higher engagement point hub is what I need. Like the Hadley (72pt), like the CK(72pt), like the i9(120pt). Are there any other companies that make high engagement point hubs that are reasonably priced and of good quality? Or have I covered the 3 that make these kinds of hubs?

Criteria:
135x12 - 32sp - 72pt engagement minimum

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
halo has a pretty trick hub called the supa drive. 120 pt engagement via 2 pawls with multiple teeth each. under $200. not sure of the quality, don't think its available in a 12mm axle version though

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
This is one of those things where once you go there, you can't go back. Like owning a fancy car, or eating very good food, you get spoiled. If one bike has a 108pt, every other bike feels like poo. Be prepared. I love my 108pt Hadley on my trail bike.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
If the man with the fastest gates in the world can get by with DT hubs I am sure everyone else can.
:stupid:

Although he must have the 240's with the new star ratchet upgrade, which would put the hub around 36 engagement points. DT has the most reliable ratchet mechanism that will just never slip. Also I would be hard pressed to find a MAJOR advantage between a 36 and 72 hub. Petr Hanak also rides DT hubs and he gates like a MOFO

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a 36 point dtswiss 48 point hope trials and an I-9 if I could justify all I-9 wheels that would be my choice, but I can't so yeah.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I have a 36 point dtswiss 48 point hope trials and an I-9 if I could justify all I-9 wheels that would be my choice, but I can't so yeah.
How many gears can you squeeze in the Hope trial hub? Is it reliable? It's an interesting option + I'm pretty sure, since it's wider, that a dishless wheel can be built around it. And only 170$ at CRC.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
i wonder if it is possible to upgrade the old rear headley hub from 2002 to new 108pt engagement?

i have no idea what old hub has for pt engagement. 36pt?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
also one of the most expensive hubs on the market. Around $450 I believe.

i wonder if it is possible to upgrade the old rear headley hub from 2002 to new 108pt engagement?

i have no idea what old hub has for pt engagement. 36pt?

The 108pt freehubs are no longer being manufactured. Haven't been for a few years.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
*SPAM

I have a 12x135 32h 108pt Hadley that I may be willing to part with if you are interested. It's black. Send me a PM if you have any interest.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Is fast engagement necessary for gated racing?

I always thought it was more useful for technical trail or DH riding where you need to ratchet pedal due to rocks, roots, etc.

A related question is: do hubs with fewer engagement points generally have less drag?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I always found those hubs really intriguing. Seemed to find a lot of stories about them blowing up, though, and for the longest time they were simply unavailable. Didn't the website say "to be released soon" for like 3 years?

I'd love to try one of the rear hubs. Silent coasting.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I always found those hubs really intriguing. Seemed to find a lot of stories about them blowing up, though, and for the longest time they were simply unavailable. Didn't the website say "to be released soon" for like 3 years?

I talked to the owner at Sea Otter. He told me they were super strong. They are also super heavy. Not sure of the exact gram weight but when I picked up them it was amazingly heavy.

How they work is very cool. The best way to describe it would be a roller bearing with springs. Friction is what makes them engage.

The hubs are a side project for the company. Their main product is machine work for NASA.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Is fast engagement necessary for gated racing?

I always thought it was more useful for technical trail or DH riding where you need to ratchet pedal due to rocks, roots, etc.

A related question is: do hubs with fewer engagement points generally have less drag?
I don't think you need high engagement hubs for DH. For XC Climbing and technical stuff I could see it and Gated racing as well. I can never seem to get my pedals exacty where I want them for gated racing. I think this will help.

Dogboy PM sent. :)

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
well there is a upgrade from 36 to 72pt for hadley hub? is it necessary? for me the hub rolls smoothly enough when i have old shimano around :D

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
are prices for Kings and Hadleys that crazy up there???
Yep, and its horse****. The Kings particularly. There is NO NEED for a distributor up here for them, especially one that jacks the pricing so goddam high for NO REASON. Kings sell themselves, no reason they couldn't go direct and save Canadians a bunch.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Yep, and its horse****. The Kings particularly. There is NO NEED for a distributor up here for them, especially one that jacks the pricing so goddam high for NO REASON. Kings sell themselves, no reason they couldn't go direct and save Canadians a bunch.
would it be cheaper to get something here in the States and have it shipped to you up there?

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
It would, but its a crap shoot with the border ya know? If you got a buddy/ relationship with a store that will decrease the price of whatever you are getting, then it works quite well. Otherwise, we can get killed at the border with duty and taxes. I had an Avy shock show up with a 350 tag on it!

Some people get stuff shipped to the border, then just go grab it if its convenient. Niagara Falls is an hour away from me, and its still cheaper to go get stuff there then it is to have it cross the border sometimes.

Unfortunately, I don't have many friends in the US that can do that, otherwise I'd be hitting amazon for a new MP3 player. :D

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Wouldn't buying one from an online retailer like ApsireVTech or something like that be way cheaper? Also, if they ship via USPS Canada Post, you won't get digned too bad at the border.

Canada is the worst place to buy "boutique" parts or US brands. 2010 Yeti DJ frameset in the States: 650$. Here: about 1000$

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
It used to be that 36pt was the standard, and 72pt was an upgrade. Has that changed?
for several years now, 36 and 72 have both been available, both for the same price. if you have an 36 already and want to upgrade to 72, cost is about 100 bucks.

i just got a 2010 72 pt hadley and it is silky. Feels slightly smoother than my 2008 72 pt hadley.

108 hasn't been avail for some time now, as mentioned above. had reliability issues. but the 72 feels instantaneous in engagement...so it's a moot point. less freehub drag than my chris kings.

DT 36 pt 'upgrade' has been one of the rare failures for DT as a company. lots and lots of problems reported. DT may have recently re-engineered the parts to prevent the hub grenading issue.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006

For BMX and slalom and DH they're pretty amazing. Hours of granny gear climbing has caused failures in the past.

their axles look identical to CK's
They have some former employees from Chris King. The idea for the hub was pitched to King originally but rejected.

I talked to the owner at Sea Otter. He told me they were super strong. They are also super heavy. Not sure of the exact gram weight but when I picked up them it was amazingly heavy.

How they work is very cool. The best way to describe it would be a roller bearing with springs. Friction is what makes them engage.

The hubs are a side project for the company. Their main product is machine work for NASA.
It operates on a one-way needle roller bearing. No springs, no pawls, no moving parts really.

I feel like such a snob still having my old Stealth hub as well as a 108pt Hadley wheel, even though I'm not actually using either at the moment.

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
for several years now, 36 and 72 have both been available, both for the same price. if you have an 36 already and want to upgrade to 72, cost is about 100 bucks.

i just got a 2010 72 pt hadley and it is silky. Feels slightly smoother than my 2008 72 pt hadley.
what contains in the kit for 100 bucks that I saw in Go-ride.

or is it not enough to buy bearings for 20bucks and grease? also add park tools.

40 bucks for 4 bearings for 2 hubs? :think: