Quantcast

High mileage riding and training - tracking mileage & other key info

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
As some might know, I've decided to train for Leadville, assuming I get a spot in the lottery. In doing so, I have been starting to build my base through high mileage, running, and lifting. On thing I am having trouble with is good tracking of my workouts. I have a Polar HRM with bike odometer, but I can never seem to get good readings. It also has limited workout times to roughly 3 hours.

I am looking for something that I can set up for three bikes - roadie/trainer, 29er, and trail - so that I can get accurate readings on my mileage, HR, etc. Any suggestions on that front?

I am also trying to find a good way to track a consistency across all of my workouts. Calories/hour is pretty ambiguous because it doesn't necessarily compare running to biking to lifting. I have thought about tracking via my HR, but then you have major fluctuations based again on the type of workout.

Do any of you have good suggestions for XC racing training? I figure that will be the closest comparison for Leadville training.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
on an unrelated note, pay attention to nutrition. i just saw this book this morning, considering getting myself a copy. the dude who helped write it coached a bunch of TdF teams. don't think that EpO is in the ingredients list.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1934030767/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=bikerumorco0c-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399373&creativeASIN=1934030767
My copy will be here tomorrow. I will let you know how it is.

Go with a Garmin 500 with a few extra cadence/speed sensors.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
Do any of you have good suggestions for XC racing training? I figure that will be the closest comparison for Leadville training.
i have tons of suggestions, but they're probably pretty worthless right now. how often do you ride a week and for how long right now?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i have tons of suggestions, but they're probably pretty worthless right now. how often do you ride a week and for how long right now?
Averaging 6-8 hours per week spread over 3 rides. I'm looking to do two 2-hr trainer rides and two min 1-hr rides. Either way I want to get in 2 hours on trail minimum with 5-6 on the trainer.

I'm also lifting 4 days per week, but those are only ~30min long.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Offer still stands if you want to do a few hours on the road.
I'm 10am-7pm at work, so it will be a weekend. I'll let you know when I have a free wknd, but I don't have one until Dec 10.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
oh killer thanks. Part of the appeal of it is simple recipes. I know plenty of awesome in depth recipes for cooking, i want some good quick ride meals.
also interested, let me know how it goes. thanks.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
My copy will be here tomorrow. I will let you know how it is.

Go with a Garmin 500 with a few extra cadence/speed sensors.
I have a Garmin Edge 700 and it works great. Don't have the speed/cadence sensor though. If I did more road riding I would get it. But I've found the gps to be really accurate. All my activities go up on Garmin Connect which has pretty good goals features and data sorting.