Quantcast

High Rise DH/AM Handlebars

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So, I know its blasphemy, but I'm looking to try some taller bars. Right now I've got some .5" rise RF Atlas bars on my DH bike, and I'm looking to try some 1.5-2inch rise bars. I'm having trouble finding 30+inch bars with that rise. I've found plenty of 29inch 2inch rise bars, but no 31".

Also, I'm looking to go from some 1.2 inch rise boobars (cut to around 30") on my spitfire, to a 2.5-3inch rise 29-30inch bars. Again, I've found ONE 3inch rise 29 inch bar (black market molly hatchet, (heavy, steel, and 22.2 diameter, not appealing), and a few 29inch wide, 2inch rise bars.

Raising my stems is not an option. Any other suggestions?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
never tried to ride the spank but felt good, 1" rise I think. Love the 38 mm rise nuke proof 760 mm wide ~ 30".
Nuke Proof = bent bars. Seriously. I've got 4 friends with them bent, 1 with cracked. Some of them are really light on their gear and that's actually all my friends with Nuke bars ;)

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
azonic makes the World Force in 3" rise but its 30" long. most of their bars are offered in 30" with 1-3" rise
Never touching anything azonic (part wise) after seeing some unreal catastrophic failures on near new bars. I'll have to check out those other ones. No 3" rise bars? I figured that'd be hard to find :'(. Stupid not-trendiness

Looks like that kore 2in rise might be the winner for the DH bike.

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Supposedly their flat bars don't bend. Maybe they changed them a bit as well as the rise ones. Though it's a wild guess ;)
"bad news" that i ordered 760mm 20mm riser bars. I hope that 2011 is revised version that is stronger. Lets see how the downhill race team handle those nukeproof bars :eek:

checked weight of 2010 and 2011 bars. 2010 flatbar weight 270 or 280 gram, 2011 - 316gram - BOUT 36/46gram increase! For riser, it looks about 10 gram difference (10mm increase too). Hard to know about improvements for riser.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
well i now know not to go 3 years on a Azonic bar, but im going on 3 years with my Deity bars. i know some who brag about 3+ years on carbon DH bars. :(
That's insane, not a reason to brag. Though didn't carbon have longer fatigue life than alu? Still I stopped using my carbon eastons after 2.5 years.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
That's insane, not a reason to brag. Though didn't carbon have longer fatigue life than alu? Still I stopped using my carbon eastons after 2.5 years.
Ya, longer fatigue life or not, I swap DH bars every year. My face/body is worth more than $30-40/year.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Ya, longer fatigue life or not, I swap DH bars every year. My face/body is worth more than $30-40/year.
I was just countering the fact that 3 years on a dh bar is more hardcore if you go carbo. I switch mine every 2 seasons.

Dec 3, 2007
Hope makes a 50 x 25 deg but keep in mind the higher rise effectively shortens the reach. I'm feelin your pain on the higher rise bars, Dan. The low bar thing is cool and all assuming your not over 6'2". I've been running a 2" Funn Fatboy at 29.5" with a 12 deg stem and it's working out pretty well. Hope you find something that'll work for you.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Anyone know of a 50mm stem that has some serious rise to it?
You using a Direct Mount stem? Have someone make you up a spacer for between the stem and crown and use longer bolts. If I was at my old job, I'd be able to easily make one for you. I'm sure someone here on this forum would do one for you for some beer.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
You using a Direct Mount stem? Have someone make you up a spacer for between the stem and crown and use longer bolts. If I was at my old job, I'd be able to easily make one for you. I'm sure someone here on this forum would do one for you for some beer.
Using a 888 direct mount on my Fbomb. I've been tossing the idea around of making a spacer. I think I could do it. I have machine shop access, and VERY amateur skills that might just be enough to make one. I've got some friends i could con into making me one I think. I'll give that a shot if the 2inch rise bar isn't enough. I'm just not sure how high I can safely space out the DM stem. I'd imagine at least 1/2 inch.

As for the banshee spitfire though, I have a thomson 50mm stem on there. I wish they wouldn't have made that headtube so d*mn short on an XL frame. I used to have the steerer longer and the stem higher, but DAMN the flex at that point was insane, and definitely made me worry about snapping the steerer. I was browsing BTI's catalog and the only possible contender I found was this guy

http://bti-usa.com/public/category/ST/STSM/all/KA4451?page=6#KA4451

A cheap looking kalloy uno upshot stem. a 70mm, 35 degree rise stem will still be only 57mm long in the horizontal direction, so thats good. It might be just good enough for xc/am. Still can't find a legitimate wide, 3inch rise bar for that bike.