Quantcast

High Roller 2.35 as a front tire?

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
New SB-66 just showed up.
And I want tubeless.

Found a decent deal on some High Roller 2.35's. I know I like them in the back, but anyone ever run them up front?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've ran HR 2.35s on my Knolly DT for the last 2 years tubeless on 823s. I like it. Not as good as a Minion, but good setup.

BMCarter

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Santa Barbara
I love my 2.35 HR up front on my XC bike. Matches well with the 2.35 HR I run out back.

I mean, you are riding a trail bike, not a DH bike. Save the 2.5 HR's for that.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like them but they liked to be leaned on. If you are ok with getting the bike angled hard before they bite, they rock.

I also still run Mobsters too so take that with a grain of salt.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
My experience is different on the right coast, but I would not run a HR up front (used a 2.35 on my trail bike & didn't like that either). I had luck with 2.35 Minions DHF front & back.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
My experience is different on the right coast, but I would not run a HR up front (used a 2.35 on my trail bike & didn't like that either). I had luck with 2.35 Minions DHF front & back.
This. I like it fine out back, but much prefer a Minion or several other options on the front. I think kidwoo posted a pretty good treatise somewhere (HR2 thread maybe?) on the DH forums explaining why a HR up front is weird - even if some WC guys ran that it way.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
for a trail bike, i dont see why not.
for a downhill bike, the hr up front is too unpredictable. it has this weird transition when leaning, where traction is iffy. and when it get loose, it just goes; without any previous hint.

having said that; some really fast guys i know have hr front and rear. but they lean and carve harder than most people have the skills for.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Something else to consider is that the UST 2.35 Highrollers only come in 70A rubber compound, which is slightly softer than granite. I ran those front and rear for a while, they never wore down but traction was a bit iffy in the wet.

I'm currently running a 2.5 exo Minion setup tubeless up front and like it quite a bit. Only a slightly heavier than the 2.35 UST Highroller but far grippier.

If you weren't referring to the UST Highroller, disregard my comments.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Rocking 2.35 high rollers front and rear on my trail bike here. Works good enough for me, trick is to avoid brake touching. They roll nice and fast.

schaus889

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
NY
I've got 2.35 High Rollers on my trail/xc bike rear and front, love them. Very predictable tire at high speed and angled as well, confidence inspiring. Worth the extra cost over cheaper tires.

Only trade off I've noticed is that its a heavier tire with higher rolling resistance than what I replaced them with, but I feel the positives certainly outweigh the negatives for me. I'm sure others will feel differently.

Last edited: