Quantcast

Highest paying jobs are in the Eastern US

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Highest wages in East, lowest in South
By Stephen Ohlemacher, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON — Americans have been migrating south and west for decades, but it appears they've been leaving some high-paying jobs behind. While there are many pockets of wealth in the South and West, the states with the highest wage earners line the East Coast, according to Census data released Tuesday.

Connecticut, with a median household income of $56,409, supplanted New Jersey as the country's highest wage state in 2003, the most recent year available. New Jersey slid to second, at $56,356, followed by Maryland, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Mississippi had the lowest median income, at $32,397. West Virginia, Arkansas, Louisiana and Montana rounded out the bottom five.

The median household income for the nation was $43,318.

Census figures show that Southern and Western states have been growing in population much faster than those in the Northeast and Midwest.

But despite those population shifts, the list of wealthiest — and poorest — states in 2003 looks a lot like the list from a decade before.

"You're going to see those areas — Mississippi, Appalachia — those are just characteristically, throughout history, poorer areas," said David Waddington, chief of the Census Bureau's small area estimates branch.

The wage gap among counties was even more pronounced than the one for states.

Los Alamos County in New Mexico, home of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, had the nation's highest median income, at $93,089.

It was followed by Douglas County in Colorado and Loudoun County in northern Virginia.

Buffalo County in South Dakota, home of the Crow Creek Indian Reservation, had the lowest, at $17,003.

It was followed by Owsley County in Kentucky and Ziebach County, also in South Dakota.

Most of the wealthiest counties were suburban, and nearly all the poorest ones were rural.

"This is a reflection of a poverty problem in non-metro areas," said Dean Jolliffe, an economist at the Department of Agriculture. "These are areas where there really isn't any economic development going on."

Jolliffe tracks "persistent poverty" counties, ones in which at least 20% of the population have lived below the poverty level for at least 30 years. There were 386 persistent poverty counties in 2000, and 340 were outside metropolitan areas.

None was in the Northeast. Most were in the South.

Complete list of states: http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/2005-11-29-wage_x.htm

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
golgiaparatus said:
Making 50k means jack if you pay over 1.5k per month for an apt commute 50 miles 1 way, pay 22.50 for lunch every day, and 3.00 per gallon average.

There in lies the fallacy of the poll...

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Median income
Connecticut $56,409
New Jersey $56,356
Maryland $54,302
Massachusetts $52,713

Thats it??? Then how come I STILL cant afford a house.
damn state
:mad:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
That's because to live up there you have to pay people more b/c of heating cost, wear and tear on your car, clothes for crappy weather.... etc, etc, etc

As a Boston boy living in SoCal - you would have to pay me a LOT more to live up there again!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Slugman said:
That's because to live up there you have to pay people more b/c of heating cost, wear and tear on your car, clothes for crappy weather.... etc, etc, etc

As a Boston boy living in SoCal - you would have to pay me a LOT more to live up there again!
less in AC costs, and energy costs (per unit) are less in the NE as compared to SoCal. and what about house prices? is it more in SoCal?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
It's tough to afford a house ANYWHERE! I make more now than I have in the last 5 years, but my increase in income is far behind the increase in houseing costs.

Oregon $42,593

There are condos that just went in last year next to where I work that are seeling for $250k! That does not compute people!

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I don't find MA that expensive and would even call it a bargain compared to CA. Gas is $1.99, no tax on groceries or clothes and everyone I know owns a house. I live 16mi north of Boston on the ocean and, if I worked in a cube, could take a $3 train into the city. Boston itself is pricey, but any real city is.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
narlus said:
less in AC costs, and energy costs (per unit) are less in the NE as compared to SoCal. and what about house prices? is it more in SoCal?
Personally - don't use the AC that much, and yes the housing market out here is absurd.

But I can ride more days out of the year than I used to...:blah:

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jimmydean said:
It's tough to afford a house ANYWHERE! I make more now than I have in the last 5 years, but my increase in income is far behind the increase in houseing costs.

Oregon $42,593

There are condos that just went in last year next to where I work that are seeling for $250k! That does not compute people!

Well this ain't gonna make you any happier then...

U.S. Home Prices Jump 12.02 Percent

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
SkaredShtles said:
No it isn't. You just have to be willing to live where people don't want to live. :p
In the Northwest, unless you live where there aren't any jobs housing is way out of hand.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
N8 said:
That's how I feel about

Louisiana $33,792

:p :p :p
us households with yearly incomes of 25,000 dollars a year really lower the bar. One day i'll have a job.

Tn's old zip-code has a median income of less than 11,000 dollars a year.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Brunettes said:
If its D.C. than it could be many places, $6 for a salad, $10 for an entree, $2-3 for a drink or two and tax/tip
then why don't you brown bag it? seriously. think of all the money you would save making sandwiches. and the things you could buy with said money.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
jimmydean said:

Oregon $42,593

Yeah I'm with you on that. I had a job offer from Lancair in Bend to do exactly what I'm doing now. The job topped out at almost $10k less than what I make now (I'm just above the middle of my pay scale), and I live in Little Rock, in the South where the median income is less than Oregon. I don't get it, and that job is still open there............I wonder why...........LOL

With Bend, it has such a limited job base but the real estate is out of this world (kind of), so I don't see how that kind of real estate growth can be sustainable for very long.

Brunettes

Monkey
Jul 27, 2005
East Coast
amydalayna said:
then why don't you brown bag it? seriously. think of all the money you would save making sandwiches. and the things you could buy with said money.
Hey I didn't say I pay that much for lunch! altough I do spend $25-30 in a week.