Quantcast

Highest quality aluminum frames?

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
They seem to have periods where they radically change the design of their bikes, I'm highly skeptical that they actually keep hundreds of "parts", rather, they probably fabricate as needed, which puts you down a rabbit hole of "oh, we'll get to that in a few weeks...months...years". Saying it is one thing, delivering is another. No evidence that they don't, but extraordinary promises become suspect to me.
I´m pretty sure there was never a really dissatisfied Nicolai customer, ever.
I mean, for a 10+ year old frame they most likely won´t get you a part shipped in 2 days, but they´ll get you one and imho, especially in this day and age, that counts for something. Apart from that, their stuff is built pretty damn tough. One can dislike their designs, but their build quality is most likely the best in the business. Never seen one fail either.
Compare that to Canyon for example who won´t even sell you a replacement part after 2 years after the warranty period expired or if you damaged something by your own fault, even though they have them in stock because they only have enough stock to handle any warranty claims. They do not even think about providing anything beyond what is their legal obligation. Happened to a friend (and many others) who was stuck with a frame without a chainstay. After 2 years.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I mean, for a 10+ year old frame they most likely won´t get you a part shipped in 2 days, but they´ll get you one and imho, especially in this day and age, that counts for something. Apart from that, their stuff is built pretty damn tough. One can dislike their designs, but their build quality is most likely the best in the business. Never seen one fail either.
Compare that to Canyon for example who won´t even sell you a replacement part after 2 years after the warranty period expired or if you damaged something by your own fault, even though they have them in stock because they only have enough stock to handle any warranty claims. They do not even think about providing anything beyond what is their legal obligation. Happened to a friend (and many others) who was stuck with a frame without a chainstay. After 2 years.
Maybe it's here, but over here in freedumbland it seems the volume of Nicolai sales is somewhere around current Foes?

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
any real reason?
No good reasons. Just my stupid mental barrier. I love how carbon rides, but I cannot get it out of my head that they are going to crack/snap/pop on me for some reason. I know they are stronger, but I am just afraid for some reason. It's like the carbon boogey monster. I know it's not real, but I still can't sleep because of carbon.

I have a 180 opposite opinion,
the old gambler looks like parts of a trash truck where used to figure out how many pivots you can incorporate into a rising rate linkage, then the slackest seat tube angle ever was fitted, looks horrible.
new one looks fantastic.
I am with you that the next years looks cleaner and more refined, and the old ones linkage set up is fairly ugly. I was just pointing out that it doesn't look unique anymore. The next one has a very similar front triangle to the current one if you look at it. I love how the current one rides though. I use it as a bike park bike, not a race bike. They changed the linkage and shock length for 2018, making it slightly more progressive, and the frame isn't that long but it's low with short chainstays. And it was designed for 26" wheels, big time plus in my book. The frame feels a bit more bmx-like than some other dh bikes I have owned. And did I mention it can run 26" wheels! I just hope Scott continues making them so I can get another new frame in a few years.

If I was in the market for a racey dh rig, I don't know if I'd be looking at that new gambler. I'd rather buy a Commencal Supreme 29 on that racey end of the spectrum.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
No good reasons. Just my stupid mental barrier. I love how carbon rides, but I cannot get it out of my head that they are going to crack/snap/pop on me for some reason. I know they are stronger, but I am just afraid for some reason. It's like the carbon boogey monster. I know it's not real, but I still can't sleep because of carbon.
I'm not afraid, I beat the hell out of a pivot 5.7 did all sorts of drops and even took it to the park for my little brother to ride, then proceeded to do really dumb shit with its long travel cross country like ass while I let my brother try a DH bike. No snappy.

That bike was stolen from me.
Now Ive got a Pivot 5.5, which usually ends up being more fun than my DH bikes.
Its also been off the big "pro line" jumps, and its reynolds carbon wheels have also been pounded through big rock gardens relentlessly without concern.

I mean look at the ol santacruz carbon video
look at the danny mac carbon reserve wheel video

I learned something over the last 5 years.
I have a little story
I bought a bike because I wanted a twin like an RC51, or ducati or something when i was having something of a 1/4 life crisis
well Im a lifelong mx and offroader, so I gravitated towards supermoto bikes Just like a mx bike ergonomically, in the local canyons sport bikes don't stand a chance against even basic bitch supermoto bikes. I saw the Aprilia SXV550 and was in love instantly!, V twin 70hp, sounds like a monster, Fastest motorcycle overall up pikes peak in 2007 and 2008, won the supermoto of nations by like Half a LAP. Bought the first one I could find. Turns out they blow a head gasket almost exactly every 13 hours. Aprilia went a little far on the bore of the 550 from its original 450 design, combined with a questionable bottom stop wet sleeve system. I spent a ton of time designing billet cylinders and a case modifications, due to life and enormous amounts of other projects and manufacturing difficulties with the elaborate sleeves the bike was apart for 5 years. Runs now, but holy fuck it was a lot of work.

Moral of my stupid story, just a bit of googling can keep you out of trouble, Had i searched aprilia sxv550 issues, there would have been about 13 million results about blown head gaskets, and I could have bought a husaberg FS570, enjoyed 15 lbs less weight, a 6th gear, and not missed the horsepower of the aprilia at the canyons but maybe on the street and been bitch slapping sport bikes the last 5 years.

If you want to know if a bike is strong its simple, google broken "enter bike name here"
if none show up and they have been out for a while
GOOD SIGN
if one shows up, well did he overshoot a huge road jump and land endo?
DUNNO
If lots show up
well THATS A BAD SIGN its best to stay away.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Canyon has horrible customer support period. I really wanted a bike from them but after hearing shit from friends I say screw them. They told numerous people I know play in their DH rig suspension is "intended" and doesn't fall under warranty. Also how many bikes of their develop play? ffs. Not to mention their local rep is talking total bs and knows as much about bikes as I know about breeding sea cucumbers.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not afraid, I beat the hell out of a pivot 5.7 did all sorts of drops and even took it to the park for my little brother to ride, then proceeded to do really dumb shit with its long travel cross country like ass while I let my brother try a DH bike. No snappy.

That bike was stolen from me.
Now Ive got a Pivot 5.5, which usually ends up being more fun than my DH bikes.
Its also been off the big "pro line" jumps, and its reynolds carbon wheels have also been pounded through big rock gardens relentlessly without concern.
Wait. Are you lucky or pivots stopped cracking?

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Canyon has horrible customer support period. I really wanted a bike from them but after hearing shit from friends I say screw them. They told numerous people I know play in their DH rig suspension is "intended" and doesn't fall under warranty. Also how many bikes of their develop play? ffs. Not to mention their local rep is talking total bs and knows as much about bikes as I know about breeding sea cucumbers.
Yup. I was looking into buying a Torque or Sender, but then I read about a lot of the bikes getting some play in the linkage

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you want to know if a bike is strong its simple, google broken "enter bike name here"
if none show up and they have been out for a while
GOOD SIGN
if one shows up, well did he overshoot a huge road jump and land endo?
DUNNO
If lots show up
well THATS A BAD SIGN its best to stay away.
nowadays we're generally past the point where bikes are being released to the public with major issues. that's not to say it *never* happens, but its far less common than it used to be. the market is simply too competitive and with social media as pervasive as it is, word will get out quick. the last product i can personally think of that was truly DOA when released to market was the crank bros kronolog dropper.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
nowadays we're generally past the point where bikes are being released to the public with major issues. that's not to say it *never* happens, but its far less common than it used to be. the market is simply too competitive and with social media as pervasive as it is, word will get out quick. the last product i can personally think of that was truly DOA when released to market was the crank bros kronolog dropper.
I don't agree fully. While there are no trully dogshit products anymore there are still some frames that are way less durable than others. There are enduro bikes so light you have to ride them like XC bikes (not sure about now but Cube 2-3 years ago). Also the mentioned Canyon play.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't agree fully. While there are no trully dogshit products anymore there are still some frames that are way less durable than others. There are enduro bikes so light you have to ride them like XC bikes (not sure about now but Cube 2-3 years ago). Also the mentioned Canyon play.
IMO durability is a different issue than an outright functional design flaw.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
IMO durability is a different issue than an outright functional design flaw.
I agree. There are few to none frames that will crack for no reason unless it's a manufacturing defect and those are rare. Still there are some frames that were designed with lighter riding in mind than marketing actually suggests. Call it "FRO-itis"

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Over here they have a bit of a reputation for cracking on the swingarm and having dodgy welds. They ride good and have good customer service, but wouldn't be the best quality.
Other than that, they are famous for making dubious claims about how repositioning their infamous single pivot 3mm higher improves the pedaling/braking/bump absorption/plushness/ploughiness/speed by 464675436763%. Oh, and the year after, they would just move it 3mm lower, and repeat the same claims.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Good to know. I have always liked the simplicity and look of them. They are a tad pricey to get in the USA though and probably not worthwhile then.

Nukeproof frames are nuke proof?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
Good to know. I have always liked the simplicity and look of them. They are a tad pricey to get in the USA though and probably not worthwhile then.

Nukeproof frames are nuke proof?
theyre an irish brand so they are everywhere here.

The mega has a good reputation - pretty solid and well built. for the amount of them out there i didnt hear about them having issues. im not 100% sure on that though.

Nukeproof have struggled with cracking issues on the Pulse (dh bike) for years now and last years models had some serious issues.

customer service from crc/nukeproof is ace though, the crew up in belfast are quick to deal with

also another crc brand, vitus are really popular and well regarded. catalog frames iirc but solid as fuk, also ride really well

Last edited:

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
theyre an irish brand so they are everywhere here.

The mega has a good reputation - pretty solid and well built. for the amount of them out there i didnt hear about them having issues. im not 100% sure on that though.

Nukeproof have struggled with cracking issues on the Pulse (dh bike) for years now and last years models had some serious issues.

customer service from crc/nukeproof is ace though, the crew up in belfast are quick to deal with

also another crc brand, vitus are really popular and well regarded. catalog frames iirc but solid as fuk, also ride really well
I have dealt with CRC before. That's how I used to get my commencals before there was a CommencalUSA dot com. Their shipping speeds were phenomenal to the west coast, faster than most USA companies. Whether it was a big bike, or a small part.

I am starting to really consider the Mega 275

how about empire cycles? they cast their aluminum frames then weld shit together. they look great, even if they are heavy.
I'm not too worried about weight. I think the latest Transition 29ers pedal very well, yet they are very heavy. I like to think Transition make a burly, reliable frame.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I'm a big fan of simplicity, and it doesn't get much more simple than this. Flat leverage rate, single pivot, blah blah. I keep thinking about grabbing one to build up a kidwoo funwheel bike.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
The empires do look neat, but by my calculations they weigh at least 850,000 tonnes. Really using cast aluminum parts is dumber than the polish machinist/tweakers at pole bolting pieces of 7075 together rather than machining it from a weldable alloy and welding the two halves together like any reasonable MERICAN would do.

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
The difference in throw doesn't bother you? I'm an OCD weirdo about that kind of stuff but I'm pretty sure it would drive me nuts.
Back in the day I ran a 1st gen Avid Code up front, and a Hayes Nine in dire need of service in the rear. That would've messed with that noggin of yours.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I used to have a Hayes HFX Mag in the front and XT V-brakes in the back. My 1996 HT wouldn't take discs. But the '98 and '04 fork would.

Believe it or not, I never had an issue with that.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
nah...I’m probably at the opposite end of the spectrum from you in terms of sensitivity to things like that.
My winter bike setup induces heart attacks in OCD victims: left lever and rear caliper are Deore LX M585 (still kick ass), right lever is Dual control XT lever, front caliper is the XT M785.