Quantcast

Highest quality aluminum frames?

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
What makes a high quality aluminum frame high quality? The welds, but what else? Does the type of aluminum matter?

Which company offers the highest quality, most durable aluminum frames for downhill, freeride, or all mountain bikes?

Hi-Qual

chris_f

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
I can't decide if you're a poorly written bot, a well written bot, or just a spammy individual who has never been on a forum before.

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
probably Ellsworth.
Really unique aluminium flex based anti bottoming systems means frames never crack

US made Intense with advanced MisAlignment(c) tech means the forces the swingarm puts on the shock and frame are constantly changing which means a massively increased lifespan

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Which big brands have shitty welds on a higher percentage of bikes than others? Why do I keep hearing how konas snap?

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
You mean prior to crack or posterior? I had it repaired after the crack and ofc heat treated.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's mostly design followed by material. 7 series is generally better (stiffer, higher strength to weight) than 6 series aluminum. That being said, Turner frames are some of the highest quality aluminum frames I've seen...(have you seen a DHR? It's beautiful), while my made-in-whoknowswhere GT is the single stiffest frame I have ever been on. No idea what it's made from, but it feels like it will last forever.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
Sandwich is the best. Thanks to everybody with real answers, and real help. I am not a bot, nor a troll, just a guy trying to learn. I have a lot of riding experience, but honestly don't know jack squat.

FrameJunky

Chimp
Mar 15, 2019
How many companies actually manufacture the high end aluminum bicycle frames? I have read it's only a few companies manufacturing carbon bikes, is that the same with aluminum bikes? With less than 10 companies providing the frames for a lot of the big companies?

If that's the case, who are these manufacturers, and where did they get the idea for press fit bottom brackets? Who is "the industry"?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sandwich is the best.
quoting for posterity

How many companies actually manufacture the high end aluminum bicycle frames? I have read it's only a few companies manufacturing carbon bikes, is that the same with aluminum bikes? With less than 10 companies providing the frames for a lot of the big companies?

If that's the case, who are these manufacturers, and where did they get the idea for press fit bottom brackets? Who is "the industry"?
totally depends. Aluminum is dying compared to carbon, so I'd wager most frames come out of only a few factories, all over in china or taiwan. I think Kinesis closed its doors, then Zen Fab died...who's left for US aluminum fab? FTW?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
quoting for posterity

totally depends. Aluminum is dying compared to carbon, so I'd wager most frames come out of only a few factories, all over in china or taiwan. I think Kinesis closed its doors, then Zen Fab died...who's left for US aluminum fab? FTW?
Foes, GG (sort of), Ventana.