Quantcast

highland looks ready to rock.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Hell yeah! New website looks awesome! Going to be an awesome year at Highland, we have a lot of video content planned for 2010 and I can't be more excited to shoot there again this year.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
beer league race? Looks rad.

Not digging on the HTC though...neat as it is, Rye isn't that far away and has a superb park, though no foam pit. I'd rather see camping facilities (ie showers) and lower prices.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Sweet. Now if someone could just do a DDT flyover of that damn pond, we might stand a chance against The Swarm!

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
The HTC looks legit. It looks like they are opening themselves up to being a top notch training destination for freeriders. Rain or shine, day or night you can ride and train.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Not digging on the HTC though...neat as it is, Rye isn't that far away and has a superb park, though no foam pit. I'd rather see camping facilities (ie showers) and lower prices.
Yeah but now I can learn my Double Pits to Chesty in an afternoon of riding.

Highland is pretty responsive to rider feedback/input so it wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to work on improving camping facilities. I mean just look at what they invested in for a bike wash system?!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah but now I can learn my Double Pits to Chesty in an afternoon of riding.
:rofl:

yeah, highland doesn't really do anything half assed. it's all or nothing with them. I think there are plans in the works, but there was some sort of a struggle with the state to allow camping...like they have to commit a pretty large amount of infrastructure to "camping" whereas most DHers don't really care and will just sleep in the dirt. Things like showers, water management, trash management, emergency access, who knows...it ain't plattekill, that's for sure. Hopefully they can get it straightened out...a weekend trip would be way better than a day trip!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
The HTC looks legit. It looks like they are opening themselves up to being a top notch training destination for freeriders. Rain or shine, day or night you can ride and train.
Bingo. In my past conversations with Mark, he had mentioned hopes of creating a place that was Woodward-esq. The fact that they are putting this facility in and are going to be open everyday in July leads me to believe that you will be seeing summer camps real soon. With Smutoks and Chase's close proximity it makes sense that they would have a legitimate staff available.

Greggah

Motorboat
Oct 9, 2008
Gonic, NH
http://www.nemba.org

Nemba discount at highland Mountain
NEW! Nemba card carrying members discount: 5% off on a Season Pass, 3 Ride Card and Camps*,$5.00 off full day pass**(Not to be combined with other discount offers)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
We have made bat houses to attract bats that will fly around the mountain and eat the bugs at night.
Hopefully it'll work better than the bat towers in the Fla. Keys! They were built for the same purpose (even bigger mosquito problem, as you could imagine), but the bats all took off and never returned...then again, that was over 100 year old technology!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
We have made bat houses to attract bats that will fly around the mountain and eat the bugs at night.
Nice! If that doesn't work, try this:

I spray it around the woods and standing water near my house every 3 weeks, and it's great at getting rid of the biting bugs (and as far as I can tell, it *only* kills the biting bugs . . . I've still got every other goddam insect and rodent alive and well at Casa Del JP).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
lol, that's funny. I went to one of the trail building days and got eaten alive. One dude had on a full bug suit: long sleeves, long pants, gloves, and the face netting. We all laughed at him. He laughed last.... Those things didn't even care that I was covered in the strongest deet repellent I could buy....just munched on through.

Gunner

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Framingham, MA
Highland has a bad bug problem at the beginning of the season, big ol black flies. But they seem to disappear off after a few weeks. I'm having flashbacks of trying to film pre-season interviews at Highland last year and seeing nothing but bugs around Mark's head.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Highland has a bad bug problem at the beginning of the season, big ol black flies. But they seem to disappear off after a few weeks. I'm having flashbacks of trying to film pre-season interviews at Highland last year and seeing nothing but bugs around Mark's head.
these were tiny little no'see'ums or whatever...nasty things. baddekill had an issue with big black flies one year. I couldn't believe it. They didn't really do anything besides land on you, but there were thousands of them. I was riding solo that day and came across a course marshall (kid) for the XC race. I offered him some bug spray I had in my car and he was pumped, then my chain snapped and I was done for the day. Too bad.

i'm considering attending the DH and DS clinics on opening weekend. does anyone know who the coaches are gonna be? the clinic fee is $125 for each, which would make for an expensive weekend, but worthwhile imo if the instructors are good.
Don't know, but I overheard an instructor giving tips while I was on the lift and tried using them on my next run and they worked wonders for my cornering, so I'd say it's worth it.

Last edited:

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
baddekill had an issue with big black flies one year. I couldn't believe it. They didn't really do anything besides land on you, but there were thousands of them.
Those are drones for Gypsy Moth control......very docile and harmless.

PhilipW

Monkey
Mar 13, 2007
Leominster, MA
Foam pits are generally good for trying brand new stuff, but there is still a significant gap between being able to foampit somthing and landing it. The black ramp next to the foam pit is the Resi-ramp (I assume)...where all the real magic happens (and much easier to sesh for more than 30 minutes).

Massive props to Mark and the guys for putting everything together for safe trick progression...groms are going to be sick by the end of the season. Highland just keeps getting better and better...

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
A resi ramp? They're like a thick layer of rubber over a soft surface so you can ride out of tricks but also not get jacked up if you fall.

Highland MTN

Chimp
Apr 8, 2008
i'm considering attending the DH and DS clinics on opening weekend. does anyone know who the coaches are gonna be? the clinic fee is $125 for each, which would make for an expensive weekend, but worthwhile imo if the instructors are good.
Kyle Ebbett will be one of the Coaches for both DH and DS camp.

Krzr3000

Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
HTC can't be compared to rye its not a skatepark...its a few quarters, foam pit and resi. Its going to rule for trying out tricks to bring to the mountain, close proximity is great.