Quantcast

highland opening day 2009?

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
i can't seem to find any information about the opening weekend dates for highland. can anyone give me an idea of a projected (or for sure) opening date? we are planning a trip or two up there this year after hitting it up this past summer and LOVING the place.

we won't be doing a northeast resort trip tour this year since we will be opting for just heading straight up to highland and we are in midst of making plans for a backcountry and resort tour in BC this year for early august.

dreaming of the dusty and dry summer season...

especially with this NE storm approaching the DC area today

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hey dude
highland's website now has info on their scheduled dates. I think opening day is may 15th, with may 9th for season's pass holders. www.highlandmountain.com

Not sure whether I'm going to go for the season pass this year...highland tends to be very expensive and there are so many good mountains in the east, it's a shame to "limit" yourself to one.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
highland tends to be very expensive and there are so many good mountains in the east, it's a shame to "limit" yourself to one.
What are you talking about? before I moved to CA I had seasy's to both plattekill and diablo, and they had both paid for themselves by mid summer.

Now that I'm back, I know I'm def getting one at diablo (50 minutes from me), not so sure about platty. Money is tight this year so I'm not sure if I can afford to drive to platty every other weekend.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
35 for a day pass at highland, 40 for a weekend at plattekill. 25 at jiminy, I think 30 at whiteface...highest in the area, for sure. I'm not saying diablo is cheap, but that other mountains are cheaper. None are as manicured, however.

Seasons passes are also cheaper at every mountain in the east besides Diablo. Bromont, Whiteface, plattekill, all are significantly cheaper than pre-season prices at highland.

Also, if you're in that area, a pass can definitely pay for itself. Unfortunately for me, platty is 4.5 hours away, but it's too good of a mountain to not ride there at least a couple times during the summer. Likewise to diablo, whiteface and bromont, but none of those are close enough to justify more than the occasional weekend trip. Highland is much closer, but I'm still not sure I would be able to completely "use" the pass.

Last edited:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Also, if you're in that area, a pass can definitely pay for itself. Unfortunately for me, platty is 4.5 hours away, but it's too good of a mountain to not ride there at least a couple times during the summer Likewise to diablo, whiteface and bromont, but none of those are close enough to justify more than the occasional weekend trip. Highland is much closer, but I'm still not sure I would be able to completely "use" the pass.
i'm the exact opposite. from DC, diablo is 4.5 hours away, platty is 6+ hours away, whiteface is 7+ hours away, highland is 9+ hours away, and bromont is 10+ hours away and highland is the one resort that i can't get tired of between the dirt jumps and quality trails.

diablo has built up a lot of hype over the last couple of years and not much new stuff to show for it. i can't handle platty's slow lift, but i did like the trails although i haven't ridden there enough to get a real taste. whiteface really only has 2-3 trails and the rest is mostly fireroads. bromont is a loooong drive for us.

i'm really looking forward to what new things highland has in store for this year and IMO, i get the most bang for the buck there.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
i'm the exact opposite. from DC, diablo is 4.5 hours away, platty is 6+ hours away, whiteface is 7+ hours away, highland is 9+ hours away, and bromont is 10+ hours away and highland is the one resort that i can't get tired of between the dirt jumps and quality trails.

diablo has built up a lot of hype over the last couple of years and not much new stuff to show for it. i can't handle platty's slow lift, but i did like the trails although i haven't ridden there enough to get a real taste. whiteface really only has 2-3 trails and the rest is mostly fireroads. bromont is a loooong drive for us.

i'm really looking forward to what new things highland has in store for this year and IMO, i get the most bang for the buck there.

2 to 3 trails?
Single-track trails at Whiteface Mountain Bike Park:
trails # 3,4,5,6,7,11,12,13,15,17,18,19,20,21,24,25,26 & 27 are all single-track. Downhill trails are in bold, the others are x-c or Super D type trails.

We have 2 fire roads (23 & 8) and tons of single-track dh trails. From the summit there are only 4 choices and 1 is a fire road. Whiteface unlike some other hills is a mountain that is very steep.
Since Whiteface is mountain shaped and not on a ridge., the trails get WAY more expansive as you ride down.
This page on our site has been created to help show what we have to offer:
http://www.downhillmike.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=46

Trails will be marked better this year and we may use a couple of other trails for our 5 K DH to showcase some of our other trails.

Last edited:

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
2 to 3 trails?
Single-track trails at Whiteface Mountain Bike Park:
trails # 3,4,5,6,7,11,12,13,15,17,18,19,20,21,24,25,26 & 27 are all single-track. Downhill trails are in bold, the others are x-c or Super D type trails.

Trails will be marked better this year and we may use a couple of other trails for our 5 K DH to showcase some of our other trails.
sorry, i didn't mean to underexaggerate the number of trails at whiteface. you guys have a great trail network, i just don't really count 27 trails unless they are top to bottom trails. i've ridden whiteface 3-4 times and really like the trail quality, i just wish there was more of it... i always end up riding what "feels" like 2-3 trails.

keep it up and i hope you guys get more opportunities to expand your trail network and unleash the potential of that BIG mountain on the east coast. i want to ride down from ALL THE WAY up top... those whitefaces look mighty nice!

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
Last edited: