Quantcast

Highline with a fox 36van for DH racing

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
I have a line on a sweet build (except the fork) for a Highline and am wondering if I put my van 36 on it if it will change the geo in an undesirable way.

I would hold out for a non DW 08/07 DHR but I think the build on this bike I'm looking at has everything I want besides a Totem for a decent price. close to a used DHR frame.

I raced My bullit last year with the 36 and don't think I bottomed at all, I may have hit the rubber bumpers.

I like DH racing moving to sport next year, but I'm having a hard time convincing myself to pull the trigger on a DH specific racebike. I think I want to have a bike that is somewhat close to the bullit as far as being able to ride some uphill on it without thinking about MRI's and knee rehab.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
If you're racing sport in the US, I don't think you need a full DH bike. In fact, something lighter would probably be an advantage. In my experience, courses (especially sport) are generally pretty mellow and depend more on pedalling and flat cornering. Besides, most of your competition will probably be on clapped out Bullits, Big Hits and other archaic decade-old rigs that have less, and much lower quality, travel than a HL/36 setup.

If you live in Europe or BC, then I'd think about the full DH setup, but even for most US pro courses, a DH rig isn't totally necessary. I think I'd be faster on a MiniDH/SS rig. That said, Platekill and other east coast gnar may be an exception.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I was (and still would be) a Sport class rider and find myself faster on my RFX than I was on my DHR. I also feel safer, more in control, and have more fun. At this point in my life I will never hit Pro courses at Pro speeds. Sometimes less is more. I would be totally comfortable racing Sport DH on a beefy 6-7" bike, for sure.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Thanks for your help, I am now trying to muster the funds to pull the trigger. Was considering a new Bullit but the Highline looks like it is pretty sweet, I also figure I can sell the fram and get a round tube non dw DHR for cheap next summer too.

I'm now wondering how well the 160mm fox van 36 is going to work on this bike.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
that bike should be a ripper with a 36 on it. also even on the east coast there are people racing the pro am level on fox 36 forks on 7" bike and winning their class.

next year i will be riding snowshoe on a 160mm bike front and rear and will be giving up the 8" plus bike. i will probably end up a little faster in the end because the place is getting more speed oriented.

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
yeah, too keep the bike fairly slack, maybe try running a slightly shorter rear shock.....the bike is set up to be able to climb and is a little steep/has a pretty high bb for dh racing.....

i remember a few years ago the maxxis guys(kirkcaldie et al) had bikes like this at sea otter.....

not sure if you can mess with the shock stroke length, but you may be able to reduce the eye to eye to achieve a lower bb/slacker HA

call turner and ask....

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
I do feel it will throw off the geometry and steepen the head angle too much.If you were to say put a Avy rear shock on it with a 8.25 x 2.25 it might bring the geometry back but now where is the BB height.There are also a lot of good deals to be had on 05'-06' DHR's.Including the one I have for sale.But It sounds like you don't want a full on DH bike.You might want to look at bikes like the Intense SS,low and slack but trail ridable.But if you go with the Highline sell the Vanilla and get a 66,Totem or even a Boxxer.The other thing to consider is weight,The Highline won't end up being any lighter than an 07'-08' DHR with similar build.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I have a Highline (7.1" rear travel) with a 2008 Marz 66 on it. The geo is pretty much spot on for me for general DHing and freeriding. I don't race, but I would have no problem racing on this bike. I measured the head angle at 65.5 deg and bb height at about 14.5" with this setup. I think a Fox 36 would make the front too steep for serious DH racing.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
I think a Fox 36 would make the front too steep for serious DH racing.
Serious SPORT class racing? It'll be fine. Difference in speeds, skills and usually courses too.

Setups vary greatly, but a starting 20mm difference in fork height can be made into nothing because a fork with less travel runs less sag, by choosing a taller tire, and even going with a taller headset and/or crown race in some scenarios.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
"that bike should be a ripper with a 36 on it. also even on the east coast there are people racing the pro am level on fox 36 forks on 7" bike and winning their class"

im not soooo sure about that.

but to answer the question, i think the bike will be a little steep, but will defly do the job, foo sho

RJM

Monkey
May 18, 2005
on the rocks
it will turn faster. I tried it for a couple weeks on my Highline. The bike responded faster so I thought it was a little faster... Just the way it felt. I cant back this up with graphs or data or anything with proof. just a seat of the pants impression.... This setup is Not a hangup but not your ideal.

sport class will be fun, theres no need to get super critical about the details imo.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
tlproject7 i was there taking pics near the finish line and could hear the times being called out in the distance. the guy was one a banshee chaparral with a 36 on the front.