Quantcast

Hiking/Biking Boots?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I need to get some boots to go Hiking in in New Zealand, but I'm also hoping I can get something to double as Biking boots. Preferably something I could get at REI cause I leave in a week :)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
You mean clipless? Good luck w/ that. If you run flats, it wont be an issue. 5-10 hightops

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
FYI It's bloody cold over here right now. Most of our mountainous regions and most of the South Island is snowbound. Buy something WARM.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The South Island, a couple of days ago:

There's been more snow since then. The centre of the North Island is looking similar.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been looking for a new set of boots for a backpacking trip to the tetons and I can't find (in a store) a set of nice leather boots that don't have gore-tex in them. I had some gore-tex boots a few years ago and they sucked. Feet sweat too much and they weren't any more waterproof than a nice pair of leather boots, what gives?

Sorry, I offered no help to you gemini2k. If you are riding in the cold I would just go for a nice pair of boots and flat pedals.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I like my Hi-Tec lightweight boots for trail running/ hiking/ mild riding, but man would they suck in NZ right about now, as they are very well vetilated. You won't find much that works in the current NZ weather and works well fo riding, the two uses are just very different.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
My pair of Vasque's is great, they have gortex, so they're waterproof. However they are not too hot at all, they're about as hot as my regular running shoes to wear around.

www.vasque.com

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
how soon is the south island rideable? I'll be in christchurch. I thought the forecasts were saying like highs near 50 or so... Flat pedals I mean FYI, i'm not a big enough man to go clipless

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
gemini2k said:
how soon is the south island rideable? I'll be in christchurch. I thought the forecasts were saying like highs near 50 or so... Flat pedals I mean FYI, i'm not a big enough man to go clipless
No idea - I guess it depends how hardcore you are. Right now ChCh is snowed in pretty good.

Keep an eye on this:

http://www.metservice.co.nz/default/index.php?alias=christchurch

and I suggest you post on www.vorb.org.nz to ask some locals how bad it actually is.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I'm pretty hardcore, well more stupid than hardcore. Yeah i made an account there I'll start posting soon, I saw the main trails around Chc had closed for now, but I'm there for 4 and a half months so I hope I'll get at least 3 or so of riding.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ah, Cool. You'll prolly be able to get some good skiing/boarding in too if you're into that. ChCh won't stay snowed in too long, it's too close to sea level.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Westy I have some Merrell's that are non gortex . Theyre great. Pricey tho.

The problem is none of the stores around me carry anything like that. Boots aren't something I'll mailorder. My old Garmonts will last another long trip. It is getting too late to break in a new pair anyway.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Changleen said:
Are you talking about Aucklanders or Orks, the dumb evil creatures from that dumb movie?
An Auck is a bird. I thought thats what Auckland was named after, the extinct bird.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Looking at your link, that does look like a Kiwi sorta bird. Most of the native avain species here have evolved themselves into a dead end. Birds without wings which are un-afriad of humans = dead.