Quantcast

Hiking boot thread

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
rocked these for 10ish years until they started coming apart in multiple places. Great boots.

think the original recommendation to buy them came from here about 15 years ago.
Here is that thread:

and another that came a bit later:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I have no experience with them, but I wonder whether using ankle braces (like this) would allow you to use light weight trail runners?

My last long hike was 14 days hiking the Annapurna circuit in 2005. I went fully prepared to weather out a snow-pocalypse. My pack must have weighed 70lbs. I wore the older version of these boots: https://eu.garmont.com/product/20515872/nebraska-gtx-r- (without the gore tex). While they were fine, I don't think I've ever worn them hiking again since.

We wound up hiking for a few days with a dude wearing light weight hiking boots, and only had a 30l pack (probably weighed 30-40 lbs). Seeing that changed my attitude towards what to bring on long hikes. Also, watching porters carry cases (6 or 8?) that each had at least 30 glass bottles of soda, wearing nothing but flip flops up these mountains also caused me to rethink my gear choices, especially footwear.

Like this:
1615819050890.png

granted, that's an extreme case, and they are acclimated to the altitude, the environment and the rigors of their trade. They also must also get frequent injuries that we just don't know about.

But it just got me to reconsider...

Anyways, my question was simply whether ankle braces might help those with bad ankles?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
what I should wear....

20210315_104343.jpg

what ends up on my feet out of poor life choices/bad habit.,..

20210315_104920.jpg

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Old pair of Timberland Cadion Gore Tex with Vibram soles.
Wasn't keen on them at first, but after a long break-in they have become one of the most comfortable boots I have owned. Having said that, they have all been mid-level stuff like Solomon, Hi-Tek, Merrell and Vasque.

Maybe something like Danner or Zamberlan next.
Fyi, Danner rainforest works boots are the most comfortable shoe I've ever owned.

Their leather mtn light hiking boot on the other hand is a huge let down. Poorly shaped, crappy lacing, ridiculously uncomfortable after a 2 years of trying to break them in.

I continue to fall back on my 10 year old pair of all leather upper, vibram soled, italian made Merrels - 2nd most comfortable shoe ever...