Quantcast

Hiking Mt Washington (NH)

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
Has anyone ever hiked Mt Washington before? I have always wanted to do so but havent really gotten around to it. If you have, whats a good trail to take for someone up the first time

I was thinking of an overnight on either one of these two routes
1) Up the west side on the Ammonoosuc trail to the lake of the clouds hut overnight then to Mt Monroe then over to Big George and back down the next day on the Jewel trail

2) Up the east side on either the Tucks or Lions head trail to the hut for night then back down Huntington

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
luken8r said:
Has anyone ever hiked Mt Washington before? I have always wanted to do so but havent really gotten around to it. If you have, whats a good trail to take for someone up the first time

I was thinking of an overnight on either one of these two routes
1) Up the west side on the Ammonoosuc trail to the lake of the clouds hut overnight then to Mt Monroe then over to Big George and back down the next day on the Jewel trail

2) Up the east side on either the Tucks or Lions head trail to the hut for night then back down Huntington
I've done it via Tucks, Lions Head, and Gulf of Slides, but always wintertime. I'm not really sure what to expect without snow/ice. Lions Head and Tucks are both steep enough that you will be using your hands for parts of it, but the views from the headwall in Tucks are great. Lions head gives you tree to yard yourself up with, but you miss some of the views until you're above treeline. From the Gulf is a bit longer, but not much, and you still get the Tuckerman side views.

Whatever you do, pack lots of cold/wind protection.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
luken8r said:
Most folks of reasonable fitness will enjoy this route. Bring enough water and you will be fine.