Quantcast

Hiking, yo.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Been doing some hiking up in the hills recently. Awesome way to fill in time when the lifts are closed but the snow hasn't arrived yet. Biking season is kinda over.

Check it, then add your own epic hiking shots.

Three hour hike up the Pointe de Nantaux for a sunset at the top. Sunset was sweet, then stupidly discovered that after a sunset it gets dark real quick. And cold. Used our phones as torches for the two and a half hour descent back down in the dark. I looked at my head torches hanging beside the door on my way out too. Retard. Epic hike though:

Here's a couple more iPhone pano shots out and about with the dog:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I came here expecting some nice scenery and was rewarded. :thumb:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Badass shots.

These were posted in the Peru thread, but they're hiking related, so here are a couple again:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Hiking isn't necessarily my thing. I get kinda get bored. I do like how you can enjoy the scenery more when you're hiking than when you're biking. But I also think one of the reasons i don't like hiking that much is because i have a bad knee.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
But I also think one of the reasons i don't like hiking that much is because i have a bad knee.
I can get you through wicked bad day hikes, because of my knee issues, but I've almost shut backpacking down all together.
At 14 miles Longs Peak a few years back was just about the edge of my physicial abilities.

the KeyHoles for breakfast

less than 30 hours after landing in CO

Glacier NP

Grand Canyon

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Mt Shasta 14,179' I have done 6 different routes to the top this set of pics was mid December. I have a 50% success rate. I have also been turned back numerous times by insane winds, got picked up and hurled 30' once before I could self arrest. I love climbing this peak

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
Those pictures are from the Daniel Boone Scout trail, a much better route to Calloway Peak.
That's the name of that peak! That's debatable though. The profile trail is more technical. Plus it's free to hike. You have to pay to get into the main park. But if you want a really fun hike in the area the Balds at Roan mountain are awesome. It's a section of the AT and then branches off to this awesome peak:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
That's the name of that peak! That's debatable though. The profile trail is more technical. Plus it's free to hike. You have to pay to get into the main park.
This trail is equally as technical as Profile and you do not pay to get into the park. 3.5 miles from the parkway to peak and then 3.5 miles back down. I will never pay that mountain to allow me to be on it.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
This trail is equally as technical as Profile and you do not pay to get into the park. 3.5 miles from the parkway to peak and then 3.5 miles back down. I will never pay that mountain to allow me to be on it.
Oh I guess I was thinking of a different one. I hate that grandfather charges to get in. I've actually backpacked up the profile trail, then along the ridge all the way over to the swinging bridge. It was an awesome trip and we never had to pay.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Last winter my friend and I went up to his family's cabin in the Adirondacks and hiked/skied Pillsbury Mtn. It's a hiking trail that people use in the summer time and is definitely not meant to be used for skiing (but we did it anyways). We had to take snowmobiles to the base of the mountain because there is no way to get to the base by car in the winter. What we estimated to take us 2hrs on the way up ended up taking us almost 4hrs. We dealt with everything from hard packed snow to deep powder. At the top of the mountain the tempature was in the single digits and the wind was blowing over 30mph. Also at the top we had a lot of trouble getting our ski boots on because they were flozen. It was definitely a crazy experience... we also have some vids of skiing down.

(I'm the one on the left)