Quantcast

Hilarious and sad at the same time

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
"I like having fun with things that AMERICA created / made better working 40-50 hours a week while I was drinking at the bar on my 8 week vacation."
okay, you can stop the freightgod parody now, you went too far

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
who is freightgod

maybe I am mistaken then. Quality of living doesnt include the 32 hour work weeks?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
First off, as a member of a wealthy family, as stated before, I do remember that time. I was 14, but that doesnt matter much. I remember enron, arnold anderson, and the fact that I'm in the field should account for something :brow:. Maybe you didnt goto college, and dont understand the fact that you learn about the history that goes along with the subject you study, not just "3 +3 = 6."

Why do you think I have the article?? it was part of one of my classes.

If we use your logic, then we should just discredit those who believe in evolution. After all, they were not there during the time, and therefore they are incorrect.

Actually, all of history is probably wrong. After all, noone teaching me about it now was alive back then, IT MUST BE FAKE!!!
I don't come from a wealthy family.

I started a business when you were 9 years old.

I graduated from college when you were 6 years old.

I did not major in economics or political science but I can tell you from experience that the year 1999 and business during the Clinton Administration was a hell of a lot more prosperous than the Bush period. The argument that our economic woes began during Clinton is not only absurd but it's just tired. The Republicans are constantly looking for a scapegoat. If it was the fault of the Democrats then why has this not been resolved in the past 8 years ?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
who is freightgod

maybe I am mistaken then. Quality of living doesnt include the 32 hour work weeks?
a guy that you would probably like

The HDI is a formula made up of: Life expectancy at birth, as an index of population health and longevity, knowledge and education, as measured by the adult literacy rate (with two-thirds weighting) and the combined primary, secondary, and tertiary gross enrollment ratio (with one-third weighting), and standard of living, as measured by the natural logarithm of gross domestic product (GDP) per capita at purchasing power parity (PPP) in United States dollars.

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
I don't come from a wealthy family.

I started a business when you were 9 years old.

I graduated from college when you were 6 years old.

I did not major in economics or political science but I can tell you from experience that the year 1999 and business during the Clinton Administration was a hell of a lot more prosperous than the Bush period. The argument that our economic woes began during Clinton is not only absurd but it's just tired. The Republicans are constantly looking for a scapegoat. If it was the fault of the Democrats then why has this not been resolved in the past 8 years ?
Our gdp increased for a bit during bush. Bush is terrible though, this isnt a Bush vs Clinton thing.

during clinton's admin Cell phones became mainstream, al gore invented the internet, dot com booms.

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
a guy that you would probably like

The HDI is a formula made up of: Life expectancy at birth, as an index of population health and longevity, knowledge and education, as measured by the adult literacy rate (with two-thirds weighting) and the combined primary, secondary, and tertiary gross enrollment ratio (with one-third weighting), and standard of living, as measured by the natural logarithm of gross domestic product (GDP) per capita at purchasing power parity (PPP) in United States dollars.
I read that in the other guy's post.

But in response to his post.

How does it not affect their HDI? Has america not made major advancements in healthcare? Have these advances not increased the HDI of other countries?

Does standard of living not include goods and services used / received? Has america not created goods or rendered services? If we have, do these goods and services not increase the HDI of other countries?

I'm not arguing, just asking. I like to learn, and if you can teach me about HDI, something I dont know much about, I would appreciate it.

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
chuckle @ my spelling mistakes? perhaps you could enlighten me how "skeeze" is any better than my spelling mistakes? although I did point out your use of skeeze.

perhaps you could post helpful things? I dont get mad at people online ;)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
chuckle @ my spelling mistakes?
If you're going to provide evidence of your social awareness circa 1999, calling Arthur Anderson "Arnold" gives you about as much credibility as being a fan of "Robert Reagan" or that you remember when "the Googler" went public.

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
If you're going to provide evidence of your social awareness circa 1999, calling Arthur Anderson "Arnold" gives you about as much credibility as being a fan of "Robert Reagan" or that you remember when "the Googler" went public.
did I really say arnold? wow... in that case I'm an idiot. I am at work and shifting back and forth from work and this.

+1 to you, maybe I shuold proofread my posts.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Our gdp increased for a bit during bush. Bush is terrible though, this isnt a Bush vs Clinton thing.
What ?

You're contradicting yourself, and you are trying to tell someone how 1999 really was, based on what you've been told and read.

I'm basing my version of 1999 on real world professional experience, for which there is no substitute.

during clinton's admin Cell phones became mainstream, al gore invented the internet, dot com booms.
What does this have to do with my statement ?

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
I don't really see the point of making a distinction of where the good originate from, who cares what advances the U.S makes if a large percentage of the citizens in the U.S aren't able to get access to the advances (and thus their quality of life goes down)?

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
I don't really see the point of making a distinction of where the good originate from, who cares what advances the U.S makes if a large percentage of the citizens in the U.S aren't able to get access to the advances (and thus their quality of life goes down)?
If you really think it doesnt matter, go ahead and give me money. I'll just sit here. My HDI will go up and yours will go down.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
If you really think it doesnt matter, go ahead and give me money. I'll just sit here. My HDI will go up and yours will go down.
It isn't taking HDI from the U.S and giving it to European countries, the metaphor is completely wrong.

HDI isn't something exchangeable, we refuse to implement universal healthcare, so our life expectancy suffers

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
fahernheit 911
an inconvenient truth
sicko

everyone here http://www.recreate68.com/

here??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_conspiracy_theories

THEY ARE EVERYWHERE!

H8R was referring to my post, I don't need you to jump in and try to fight battles on my behalf.

The reason I didn't respond to his post was
1. He was correct that it wasn't a real video
2. He can be a dick with some of his post, but I've accepted that and it's OK, he's usually got some pretty smart things to say
3. As you saw, your out of context retorts of 'lib films' got you dick slapped.
4. My point had been acknowledged by BV in the earlier post, so I know when to shut up.
5. H8R can be a dick
6. Search for post by freightGOD and you'll see how similarly stupid you can sound.

There are those on this forum that are conservative and can debate intelligently and offer stimulating and constructive debate.

Let them speak...

you...shhhhhhhh

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
why are you still talking?
Why are you not reading?

The Politics board has a ton of great information laid out on these very subjects in some recent threads. Do yourself a favor, spend an hour or so just reading the threads and posts written by guys such as Ohio, Transcend, and a few other guys who sometime post relevant material in between the sarcasm. As you said before, knowledge is power and you're here to learn.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
Geez, 7 pages of troll chow. I turn my back for a few minutes, and the whole place goes to Scarsdale in a handbasket...
Yeah.

I was hoping to get some input on the origin of the people in that video.

Instead some kid tries to give us an economics lesson, and tell us all about 1999.

That is a Southern Oregon view. Scary, but they are outnumbered in Portland, so it balances out.
Are you sure ?

The only physical clue that would indicate that is not Southern Appalachia is the fact that the guy on the back of the four wheeler is wearing a hemp necklace.

No self respecting, hippy hating, Southern Appalachian redneck would wear that necklace.

She makes reference to " being black having nothing to do with it ". Southern rednecks are never that open minded.

Do Oregon rednecks keep their used washing machines in the front yard as well ?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Why are we blaming Clinton? I mean you can trace the current mess to probably anyone who sat in the white house the past 50+ years. To sit here and watch someone say that it all starts with Clinton shows a quite a bit of laziness in understanding what is happening and quite a paradigm in your thinking. It looks as though more than a few people have given up arguing with freightGOD^2 since it doesn't seem worth debating.

Anyway if you are referring to Clinton repealing glass-steagall, well the bill was pushed through a republican run congress, led by McCain's current top economic adviser, and it was veto-proof. It also deals with consolidation, the ability to make mega financial institutions, not giving money to those no good undeserving lazy po'folk.

If the article you are talking about is the changes Clinton made to the CRA (Community Reinvestment Act), well he did. This act was created in 1977, it didn't appear out of nowhere in 1999. It is also noteworthy that Bush has made changes to the CRA as well (including more deregulation). According to the Cleveland Fed (http://www.clevelandfed.org/research/Commentary/2000/1100.htm) the CRA loans were a little less profitable, somewhat due to late payments as well as default. The study states that delinquency was more common of the two. So I'd say that there is a bit more to all of this than your analysis implies.

Also there are many many many banks, which do not fall under the CRA and they gave out sub primes at twice the rate as those governed by the CRA. Your argument about the crisis (at least the Clinton part) is pretty much bullsh!t and your grasping at straws. I'm sorry but your going to have to better than that.

BTW, I'm not saying ol' BJ Bill is squeaky clean.

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
FYI, and this is aimed directly at trebor, I don't moderate this board much but racist bigotry, as demonstrated in the beginning of this thread, won't be tolerated. Frankly, anyone who suggests that black democrats cause problems and tosses Africa in there as an example should probably be banned anyway on the basis of stupidity, but I'll let it slide if you can keep it out of future discussions.

Consider your first amendment rights oppressed.