Quantcast

Hill podiums at Leogang World Cup

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Sam Hill (Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz) raced to a fifth place finish and took the final podium spot at the downhill World Cup in Leogang, Austria, on Sunday. Hill's fellow Australian teammate Troy Brosnan was the fastest junior down the mountain in 15th and retained his overall junior World Cup lead. The team's British racer Brendan Fairclough finished 31.</p><p>
</p><p>
Round three of the UCI Downhill World Cup brought everything from blazing sunshine to pouring rain as the team continued its first European trip of the season.</p><p>
</p><p>
Hill, who clocked a 3:53.406 in the finals, had described the track as "easier than Schladming", a former venue on the World Cup circuit. But that changed when the rain came and went. As soon as the sun came out, the track turned to peanut butter, making many of the upper corners complete mud bogs with massive holes hiding in them. </p><p>
</p><p>
World Champion Hill was less than pleased with his result, but was enjoying being back on the podium. "I'm definitely happy to be back on the podium. It's not exactly where I want to be, but I have some work to do."</p><p>
</p><p>
"I'm going to go home and put in some hard weeks and keep progressing to the top step again," said Hill, who finished 0.9.225 seconds slower than winner Aaron Gwin. "I got down in one piece, had a few wild moments...I don't know what's going on. I feel like I've been riding as good as I normally do and just not getting the positions I want. I'll keep fighting for it. I just have to go faster everywhere from the start to the finish."</p><p>
</p><p>
Hill now sits in sixth in the World Cup standings with 315 points (leader Gwin has 628).</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan fastest of the juniors</p><p>
</p><p>
Brosnan went down once in his race run, impressive considering his result, and he was pumped on this week's progress.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I felt amazing! I just had a smooth run, solid. I didn't ride over my head or anything. I got pretty confident after the pedalling and felt strong. A couple of turns after that, I slid out and had a fumble but I got back on and went as fast as I could and got 15th." Brosnan clocked a 3:58.013.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I tried to hold it open in the bottom section to make up some time. I'm learning from it and going into the next round at Mont-Sainte-Anne [Quebec, Canada] and smash that one out with better style. I can't complain, 15th with a crash! I know I have speed and it's up there. It's all about making it count."</p><p>
</p><p>
At the awards ceremony, Brosnan was recognized as the top junior performer of the day and he continues as the junior World Cup leader, ranked 16th among the elites with 206 points.</p><p>
</p><p>
Fairclough back in action</p><p>
</p><p>
Brendan Fairclough is still recovering from a knee injury sustained at the opening World Cup in South Africa, but ended up in 31st place with a time of 4:01.311. Fairclough was disappointed with his result, but happy to be back in the finals and getting things back on track. </p><p>
</p><p>
"My run was ok, I didn't make any big mistakes. I just stayed on my bike and had a really lousy time...I just kind of got down the hill," said Fairclough. "I just need to be faster. I felt fatigued and unfit. I'm back on my bike, though, so it's all good."</p><p>
</p><p>
Fairclough's result was good enough to get him some points toward the World Cup standings, and he is now in 68th with 60 points.</p><p>
</p><p>
All three racers competed on cut down Specialized Storm tires in their final runs.</p><p>
</p><p>
In qualifying on Saturday, Brosnan, Hill and Fairclough finished 11th, 14th and 19th respectively.</p><p>
</p><p>
The trio will race at the next World Cup round four in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada. It's a venue that has always treated the Monster Energy / Specialized / Mad Catz racers well. Most recently, it was where Hill and Brosnan won their 2010 world championship titles.</p>

More...