Quantcast

Hillary -vs- Obama

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i dated a girl who - w/o her makeup - looks a lot like the one in red. also, had gray eyes. weird.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Bill sez Hillary is only chance for Dim win in Nov

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/05/26/bill-clinton-says-wife-is-victim-of-a-‘cover-up’/

The former president said Sunday that the media had unfairly attacked his wife since the Iowa caucuses, repeating an often-used charge that press coverage had made him feel as though he were living in a “fun house.”

"If you notice, there hasn't been a lot of publicity on these polls I just told you about,” he said. “It is the first time you've heard it? Why do you think that is? Why do you think? Don't you think if the polls were the reverse and he was winning the Electoral College against Senator McCain and Hillary was losing it, it would be blasted on every television station?”

He added, “You would know it wouldn't you? It wouldn't be a little secret. And there is another Electoral College poll that I saw yesterday had her over 300 electoral votes…. She will win the general election if you nominate her. They're just trying to make sure you don't."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Hillary Clinton's 'body woman'......

http://www.observer.com/node/37040

Though she posed recently for a glamorous photo spread in Vogue, Huma Abedin, 32, is famously press-shy.

The New York Observer, in a long profile last year, called her "a sort of mythical figure" who never has a hair out of place or a wrinkle in her Prada suit and can hush a crowd of rambunctious reporters with a single look.

1000-Oaks

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Simi Valley, CA
Maybe it's already been said here, I didn't read the whole thread...

If Gore won the popular vote but Bush "stole" the election, now that Hillary is winning the popular vote will Obama "steal" the nomination?

Just wondering when "winning the popular vote" should count and when it shouldn't...doesn't seem to be much consistency.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR

If Gore won the popular vote but Bush "stole" the election, now that Hillary is winning the popular vote will Obama "steal" the nomination?

Just wondering when "winning the popular vote" should count and when it shouldn't...doesn't seem to be much consistency.
Am I the only one that notices this:

**(Senator Obama was not on the Michigan Ballot and thus received zero votes. Uncommitted was on the ballot and received 238,168 votes as compared to 328,309 for Senator Clinton.)
Obama, Clinton, Spread
17,389,116 48.1% 17,364,592 48.0% Obama +24,524 +0.1%

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

If I recall correctly, most of the people who think that the 2000 election was stolen were basing their case off the Florida vote, not the popular vote.

The popular vote argument is incredibly stupid, because that simply isn't the way the system works. In both cases, actually...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Am I the only one that notices this:

**(Senator Obama was not on the Michigan Ballot and thus received zero votes. Uncommitted was on the ballot and received 238,168 votes as compared to 328,309 for Senator Clinton.)
And his name wasn't on the ballot because he chose not to put it on the ballot, right?

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
saying you should win because you have the popular vote is like claiming you should win a football game because you had more first downs, despite having fewer scored points.

the democratic primary process is measured in delegates, which obama has more of. hillary is only winning in popular vote if you dont count the caucus states, and if you count the slightly flawed FL vote (where neither campaigned and it was known before the primary that votes wouldnt count =less people showing up to vote), and the incredibly flawed MI primary, where all candidates agrees to remove their names from the ballot, and all did except hillary. her claim is laughable.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
saying you should win because you have the popular vote is like claiming you should win a football game because you had more first downs, despite having fewer scored points.
don't use football, use baseball for the analogy. nat'l league -vs- american league (infield fly rule, designated hitter, etc.)

dnc & rnc differ slightly enough that a case can - and is - being made that superdelegates mean sod all come the reckoning

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And his name wasn't on the ballot because he chose not to put it on the ballot, right?
No, all Democratic candidates except Hillary Clinton, took their names off the Michigan ballot at the request of the Democratic National Party. He was asked to and he obliged.

So because she didn't follow the parties request she should be considered the winner of a race that was deemed void?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I really don't understand why, with all the bickering that goes back and forth, the Obama campaign hasn't asked the Clinton campaign for a straight explanation of 1) why Hillary's name was on the Michigan ballot, and 2) why she supported the sanctions when they were levied.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
1) why Hillary's name was on the Michigan ballot
This was the "official" answer AFTER others complied.

"We're honoring the pledge and we won't campaign or spend money in states that aren't in compliance with the DNC calendar,'' Clinton spokesman Jay Carson told The Associated Press. "We don't think it's necessary to remove ourselves from the ballot.''
Again, that statement was released AFTER both Obama and Edwards had removed themselves from the ballot.

"This is an extension of the pledge we made, based on the rules that the DNC laid out," Obama spokesman Ben LaBolt said in a statement. "We still hope that Michigan Democrats can adopt a process that meets DNC rules and, if so, look forward to fighting for the votes of men and women across the state."

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Excellent question. Those that think any change has to be good change are under the assumption that it can't get worse than it is right now.
I'm not going to say it can't get worse, but the fact is it will likely get worse for at least another year before it can even start to get better.

That being said, no matter who is in office next year, they have a hell of a lot of work ahead and will likely take a lot of blame for at least the first half of term.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Somebody should tell Hillary it's over, seeing how her national co-chair seems to think so.

Tom Vilsack, the national co-chairman of Clinton's campaign, said Sunday: "It does appear to be pretty clear that Senator Obama is going to be the nominee. After Tuesday's contests, she needs to acknowledge that he's going to be the nominee and quickly get behind him."

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
the comments on this news bit are freekin GOLD!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/05/harold-ickes-pa.html

To the Ms. Clinton critics and Saint Obama loyalists:

1. There is no perfect human who will ever occupy the White House let alone walk on earth; 2. Admit it, you're all really Republicans. Who else has ever demonstrated such unreasonable hatred (as expressed in the comments here) towards the Clintons, except the Republicans.

Whoever claims that Ms. Clinton is the only politician seeking power is deluded. Power is the psychological backdrop of politics and Obama, and his people, are no saints when it comes to their familiarity with it.

Also, to claim that something Ms.Clinton has done has now turned you off to her is disingenuous. You never liked her (Rush) and you'll use the slightest reason to criticize her.

These two ideas (Ms. Clinton is abnormally power hungry and she's finally broken the poor camel's back) are another way of saying: Woman. You have no place here!

She doesn't have to be a saint. She doesn't need to make you comfortable (or remind you of your mommy). She only needs to be president and Ms. Clinton has the qualifications for that.

I cheer Ms. Clinton for her courage and audaciousness for attempting the impossible: bringing equality for women in these United States.