Quantcast

Hillary -vs- Obama

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not saying that racism is eradicated like smallpox (kept in reserve only by the Russians and Area 51...), but the very fact that the two candidates chosen by the Democratic party are a black man and a woman speaks well to the lessening prejudices of voters...it's not like someone sent them to the party as token candidates...they were chosen, which does pretty much indicate that people's old prejudices are wearing away over time and generations.
But as they pointed out on The Daily Show, people are only voting for the opportunity to vote for them in the general election. We will see what the voter turnout is at the end.

I'm still voting for Obama, even if Hillary wins the nomination.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Do-Over in Michigan and Florida?

Officials in Michigan and Florida are showing renewed interest in holding repeat presidential nominating contests so that their votes will count in the epic Democratic campaign.

The Michigan governor, along with top officials in Hillary Rodham Clinton's campaign and Florida's state party chair, are now saying they would consider holding a sort of do-over contest by June. That's a change from their previous insistence that the primaries their states held in January should determine how the their delegates are allocated.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/03/05/politics/p143250S14.DTL&type=politics&tsp=1

:popcorn:

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I think it's funny that the one solution that would be a) cheap and b) easy to conduct isn't even being mentioned since it would help Obama. Caucuses are virtually free, they're easy to set up, and could be held any time the states want, but since Obama has been cleaning house in caucuses (and since MI's gov is an ardent HRC supporter, and Crist in FL wants McCain to go up against HRC instead of Obama), it's not even being mentioned...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:spam:

Why Clinton Isn't Dead
By Robert D. Novak
Thursday, March 6, 2008; A21

The scope of Hillary Clinton's latest resurrection can be appreciated only in light of the elaborate preparations that had been made for her expeditious burial. That she is very much alive can be attributed to her true grit but also to the revelation that Barack Obama is not a miraculously perfect candidate after all.

Assuming that Clinton would at best eke out a victory in Ohio on Tuesday to end her long losing streak, prominent Democrats were organizing a major private intervention. A posse of party leaders would plead with her to end her campaign and recognize Obama as the Democratic standard-bearer. To buttress this argument, several elite unelected superdelegates (including previous Clinton supporters) were ready to come out for Obama. Those plans went on hold Tuesday night.

Clinton's transformation of the political climate with her decisive victory in Ohio and unexpected narrow win in Texas coincided with Obama facing adversity for the first time in his magical candidacy, and he did not handle it well. The result is not only the prospect of seven weeks of fierce campaigning by the two candidates, stretching out to the next primary showdown April 22 in Pennsylvania, but also perhaps what Democratic leaders feared but never really thought possible until now: a contested national convention in Denver the last week of August.

By chance, this critical week for Obama began Monday with jury selection in the Chicago corruption trial of his former friend and fundraiser Tony Rezko. For the first time, the story of this political fixer's connections with the Democratic Party's golden boy spread beyond the Chicago media. In a contentious news conference, Obama was uncommunicative. He ended the session by walking out and announcing that eight questions were enough.

Less obvious than his Rezko performance but more disturbing to insiders was Obama's handling of the North American Free Trade Agreement.

With NAFTA having become an expletive in economically depressed northern Ohio, the two Democratic candidates competed with each other in pandering -- denouncing the trade agreement that was a jewel in President Bill Clinton's crown. The trouble began when Canadian television reported that Obama economic adviser Austan Goolsbee had visited Canada's consulate in Chicago to reassure officials there.

Old Democratic hands cringed when both Clinton and Obama in their Cleveland debate last month blithely advocated the (dangerous) renegotiation of NAFTA. They were really disturbed by what happened next. Obama denied the Goolsbee mission, then had to back down after a Canadian diplomat's memo confirmed the visit. A longtime Democratic political operative, not aligned with either Obama or Clinton, told me that this was a serious misstep in what he had considered a flawless performance by a political neophyte.

This week, Obama lent credence to longtime claims by the Clinton camp that the young challenger would melt under Republican heat. Now he must face weeks of struggle against a revitalized Clinton, and there's no sign when it will end.

A month ago, before the Obama boom really began, his number-crunchers plotted a probable outcome wherein Clinton would win both Ohio and Texas on March 4 and still fall short of a delegate majority at the convention. To avoid carnage in Denver, Democrats have been telling me for weeks that a majority of delegates would somehow align themselves behind whichever candidate has the momentum.

But who has the momentum? Clinton will claim it, particularly if she wins in Pennsylvania, which would give her every major state except Illinois. But Obama will point to his advantage in the number of states and delegates won. A showdown in Denver may be unavoidable.

Such a showdown would reveal the consequences of eight years of Democratic procedural decisions that made no sense save for the premise that Hillary Clinton, as she expected, would be handed the nomination on Super Tuesday. That the convention will be held unusually late raises the prospect of not knowing the identity of the Democratic nominee until shortly before Labor Day. The decision to deprive Michigan and Florida of delegates because their primaries were scheduled too early cannot stand in a contested convention. That Hillary Clinton's candidacy still lives forces Democrats to cope with their mistakes.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
hope this gets worked out before the convention, or someone could get roughed up:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
The country has come a long way but there still is a dirty underbelly that just doesn't get talked about. People are PC aware and just don't say the things that they know they shouldn't. That will not stop them from voting for that they may not voice.
Agreed...I mean don't get me wrong the US is making progress but I don't think it's enough just yet. I'm hoping to see a person of color in the white house before I die...or at least a woman....D

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Agreed...I mean don't get me wrong the US is making progress but I don't think it's enough just yet. I'm hoping to see a person of color in the white house before I die...or at least a woman....D
just how progressive is the canadian pm lineage? vanilla?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Al Sharpton threatens to sue DNC!

http://www.nysun.com/article/72572

Rev. Sharpton is traveling to Florida today to compile lists of residents who skipped the January contest because they thought their votes would not count. He plans to have those residents sign affidavits saying they would be disenfranchised by the seating of the Florida delegation, in the event the Democratic Party allowed that to happen.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
inuits, asians, arabs.

that's what happens when the u.s. rolls over at night & stuff falls off the bed.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Can someone post some positive uplifting news, please? It's only Monday and I'm already really really really bummed out. Don't we have something about hugging Pandas or some ****?
hugging pandas is only useful after you field dress them and need to get the last quart of adrenalized blood out. otherwise it makes for gamey steaks.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
hugging pandas is only useful after you field dress them and need to get the last quart of adrenalized blood out. otherwise it makes for gamey steaks.
And God knows Panda Express won't buy if you bring them gamey meat.

Plummit

Monkey
Mar 12, 2002
The criteria for your 'careful choosing' is the way the person looks?
Ah, the many faces of Hillary. Looks, the way a person laughs, counter productive "tax (evil) business!!!" populism; take your pick, but choose carefully.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus

BIGHITR

WINNING!
Nov 14, 2007
Maryland, east coast.
I can't stand the number of people voting for hillary simply because of her gender.
The same could be said for Obama because he's black. First woman/black president. Either way it's a milestone.

will you at least admit this may be the quickest way to get back the global r3sp3ct bush squandered?
Absolutely I will!! All the way back to Bill Clinton days where diddling cigars and kneepads in the oval office gave the white house a reason to be respected!!:rolleyes: :biggrin: