Quantcast

Hip Padded Shorts..Any Recomendations?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Looking to start buying some Armor and wanted to get some feedback on padded shorts.

I have felt the POC in person and they feel padded pretty well and seem not to cumbersome. the Dainese looked good to and the FOX seemed a little bulky.

Can anyone recommend so good comfortable , not too bulky hip padded shorts?

mullet_dew

Monkey
Mar 22, 2009
Bellingham WA
I just picked up a pair of TLD moto shorts, they come with a removable hip pad, like 1/4 inch foam if thats what you are looking for. I didn't plan on wearing the hip pads, but i really don't notice them so i put them in just in case. The pads are noticeable sitting down, and the shorts themselves are not very comfortable sitting down(driving back from Whistler), but thats a pretty easy fix, just bring a change of clothes. As far as actual riding they are awesome, these actually go down over my knee/shin pads instead of getting bunched up behind them like some other shorts.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I've found the POC shorts to be really comfortable. Had Fox Launch shorts before those and they were ok, but didn't offer nearly as much protection, and also got torn up in the wash. The 2010 Launch shorts look better though.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
POC is good, the VPD tailbone protector is awesome, but durability could be better. They are fragile lycra and some sort of white mesh. The corners of the pocket where the tailbone protector is located are getting holes worn in them, and the white mesh material isn't quite strong enough either...

Triple8Sol

Monkey
May 4, 2010
Seattle, WA

Broke my tailbone snowboarding, the season before last, so I got these 661 Pro Bomber shorts last summer. They had good tailbone protection and built-in chamois, but not much in the way of hip protection. That tiny pad above the plastic outer thigh one is really thin. I had one bad crash off a drop that proved they sucked for hip protection. Then they fell apart the 2nd time I put them through the gentle cycle in the washer. Maybe I should've handwashed or something, but I was still disappointed in their durability.

I got these R.E.D. impact shorts with that new D3O padding for snowboarding this past season. They worked great for that, and now I'm using them out on the dirt. Had my first crash on the hip this past weekend, and these really didn't do the job either. I'm gonna look into something with better hip padding, basically placed higher up by the waistband.

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
I think I might upgrade my impact shorts when I get back on the bike. Recovery from a broken femur so some serious padding over the top of the thigh/hip would be some good peace of mind. Those Dainese ones seems to have serious protection but how much padding is there to absorb impact?

ag7gu

Chimp
Jul 31, 2008
MD
Hillbilly Protection's impact shorts are bulkier than those already mentioned in this thread, but for those of you looking for a bit more protection - I would definitely recommend these. They sit up high and cover your hip bones.

I couldn't get the image to load on the website, but I found this pic of an older version (it's since evolved slightly, but the impact shorts are similar to "C-ya").

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd snag a pair of the dainese if I had my choice. I normally run chamois shorts under my TLD/fox nylon DH shorts, and they're comfortable for in the saddle but leave me hanging for protection. I have a pair of bombshell padded shorts, basically these, which provide good cheap protection, but I wouldn't trust them for everything. I feel pretty invulnerable with those, my knee shins, and my dainese suit up top though.

They are pretty bulky and oddly loose fitting, but they aren't really uncomfortable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
has anybody tried EVS riding shorts? they are super cheap, look like they have a chamois, some hip protection, and extended knee protection that might help with knee shin combo crappers.