Quantcast

History: Under a Hill in Downtown LA

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Tonight on the History Channel, I saw such a cool show. I can't remember the name, but it was about underground passage ways and stuff.

They did such a cool story on the underground trolleys under Bunker Hill in Downtown, LA, CA. The built a pretty big place under there. There were 5 different trolleys people could board, like: | | | | | and they connected to one track. The trolleys came out of an opening and went up to street level (I think 1 opening). This was a very huge thing in the 50's.

At the time when it was being heavily used, a big building for the mass trolley system was built. The interior was very elegant with marble columns, (those old pressed metal things in the ceiling),etc.

When everyone started buying cars, it became obselete, so it was closed. Everything (supposedly) was sealed and the trolleys were sold to other countries (some, they just burned). They removed the track under the hill. For a short time, the space was used as an impound lot.

Eventually, when it all became obselete, this building was turned into a hospital. They put drywall over all the old walls and permanently changed many things from the original building.

A janitor (I'm not sure when) checking that all the doors were locked on night. He found a door that was not locked. He opened it and saw an 18 step stair going down. He walked down and felt like he was going back in time. As he walked down the hallway, he found the old offices and that big room where the trolleys were boarded. This is now the only way down.

I found it really interesting. Does anyone know about this? It would be cool to go down there and take photos.

The other story I like on that show was one about 3 Germans during Hitlers Nazi crap. They and (others that later helped) agreed that there was a real possiblity that the city of Nurnburg could be bombed.

They wanted to protect the ancient art of the city. They looked at a few old tunnel/passegeways that were built (a long time ago, forgot when). I think they had to do with castles.

They found one that was perfect, although needed lots of work to be fit for the preservation of art and ancient artifacts such as a baptist crown from the Roman Empire. They got it all done and moved art into it all w/o anyone knowing. When American Soldiers came through, they found a door that led to stairs going down. They were amazed to find all the carefully documented things.

Wow :eek:, I just typed alot. I did it fast, so sorry the text isn't as good as it could be.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bikenweed said:
Exploring that place will be the next adventure on to the To Do list while in LA.
I really want to check it out too. I'm not sure if you can get in there. Maybe we can find another way in. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah i dig that channel too. If you can sneak your way into those tunnels grab a light and a video cam and make your own History Channel RM ride report.:)

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
For sure there is a way to get into the subway. It might be as simple as bribing a janitor in the hospital. Although it would be pretty rad if they put the system back into service with the gas prices, traffic, and parking of down town LA.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
I saw a documentary about the trolley system in America, apparently there's a ton of evidence to support that GM bought up the trolley companies and intentionally put them out of buisness or changed their service to busses. Then the streets were made safe for cars, and the rest is history. We can see what an awesome idea that was now.

Parts of the old tunnels are graffiti havens too. There'll be tags extending as far as the light goes, and the ground is absolutely littered with spray cans. It's pretty surreal.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
This may be in your alley, mtnbrider...I do it for fun. It's not showing up in the private location database...

www.uer.ca

Register and post in the California forum. You might be able to dig up some information on it.

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
That's pretty close to skid row - I'd be surprised if there weren't dozens of homeless down there smoking rock. Be careful if you go looking for it.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Seattle has an old "underground"
It's what used to be basements but due to some regrading, is now the subbasement. When I worked at a bike shop, we had a trap door in the frame shop that accessed the "underground". It was fun to explore....and creepy.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
buildyourown said:
Seattle has an old "underground"
It's what used to be basements but due to some regrading, is now the subbasement. When I worked at a bike shop, we had a trap door in the frame shop that accessed the "underground". It was fun to explore....and creepy.
What shop is that? I've been studying that lately, but I have yet to go down and take the tour. I heard it stinks in the summer :oink:. There's some pretty cool stuff about the fire, pretty much everything southwest of pike and 4th was lost.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Do you know the current status of whatever it is? If it IS the hospital, try seeing if you can get a contact inside. Preferably low level (Like in the show...janitor). Check Google Earth. It does wonders for finding ways into locations.

B&E is a crappy charge to talk your way out of, especially with a bright yellow pair of boltcutters.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
blue said:
>8
B&E is a crappy charge to talk your way out of, especially with a bright yellow pair of boltcutters.8<
I don't want to be involved with B&E.

I have google earth, the pro account. It works great. I just remembered that downtown LA has really high resolution.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I dig the history channel. I just watched a show about Hitler's medical problems and their effects on the second world war.

elRey

Turbo Monkey
I am reading a book about bike messengers, and the author talks a little about how GM bought out a lot of trolleys and undergrounds when automobiles were starting to get popular. There are a bunch of underground tunnels in Chicago that used to be for trolleys, also.

In portland we have a bunch of tunnels called the Shanghai tunnels that used to be used for kidnapping people and selling them into slavery. The tunnels go all over the city and have a lot of openings in bars and even people's homes. There is even one in my school.:wonky2:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
There's plenty of tunnels beneath any community founded by Mormons (Vegas, SLC, etc)...all you've gotta do is look.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
mtnbrider said:
Really? That's ****ed up. Who built them?
Ever heard of Shang-Hai? That's the term that came from shipping companies in search of free labor. You wind up drunk in the street, next thing you know you wake up in a boat in the Pacific Ocean on the way to Shang-Hai.:)