directly above the center of the earth
RIP and may the driver rot in hell

Bicyclist's body found at UCSC campus
By Stephen Baxter

sbaxter@santacruzsentinel.com

Posted: 06/08/2011 11:20:55 AM PDT
Updated: 06/08/2011 01:00:38 PM PDT

Click photo to enlarge
The body of a young man was found on the UCSC campus this morning. A... ((Shmuel Thaler/Sentinel))«1»SANTA CRUZ -- The body of a 25-year-old bicyclist was found about 8 Wednesday morning on the edge of the UC Santa Cruz campus, the CHP reported.

California Highway Patrol officers are investigating the death, said CHP officer Sarah Jackson. It appears the male cyclist was the victim of a hit and run, according to officer Tyler Pudge.

The body of the man, identified only as being from Santa Cruz County, was found on Empire Grade Road near Highview Drive by another cyclist who noticed clothing and debris in the road.

Pudge said it appears a maroon Nissan hit the bicyclist likely during the evening or early morning. Pieces of the car's headlight were found at the scene. Officers say the car would have front end damage

http://www.mercurynews.com/central-coast/ci_18231281?source=most_viewed

Officers ask anyone with information on the vehicle to call 911 or the CHP at 831-622-0511.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A few days ago a rider/messenger got hit by a van that ran a red light. He's still in critical condition with severe head trauma. I'm not sure if he was riding brakeless, but I have never seen him wearing a helmet. There are very, very, few bike commuters here and he was the only one who rode all winter. Props to him for that and hope he pulls through.

Wear your helmet kids.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I get so mad reading about this stuff. Today I was feeling good about bikes when an elderly women yielded to me and gave me an overly wide birth on my journey down the street. I blew her a kiss and she blew one back to me.... Culver road (my route) passes on the edge of the ghetto and is often not the safest route. I get older drivers who yell at me all the time to get out of the street and use the sidewalk all the time there. I don't even want to think about Total Heckler. I will go off on chit if he's not OK... Be carefull out there, a bike ride is not worth dying for...

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
:( A rider died in SLC the other day after a hit and run. On the look-out for a black/dark VW Passat with front end damage. Went cruising through areas with jenky auto-body shops looking for it to no avail. Yet.

Peace and strength to family and friends of all these riders.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
This is why I don't road ride, I've been hit down the cape and the ass just pinned it and left. I hope they catch the peace of **** and he rots in prison.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ugh. Horrible story. I hope for the cyclist's sake it was quick and painless. I'm getting shivers thinking about laying in a ditch waiting for help that never comes.

Zach was a messenger coworker and friend of mine when I worked in SC. Working on his memorial ride poster now...fvcking gutwrenching. He was one of those invulnerable motherfvckers, someone you'd never think something like this would happen to.

sigh.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
SANTA CRUZ — CHP officers have found the maroon Nissan that they believe hit cyclist Zachary Parke in a fatal hit-and-run on Empire Grade Road near UC Santa Cruz on June 8.

No one has been arrested, CHP officer Sarah Jackson said Tuesday, but the car was found in Santa Cruz in recent days. Jackson said the investigation is ongoing and she could not release details on where the car was found or the identity of its driver.
http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_18270718

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
More about the memorial ride:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=122366117848254&notif_t=event_invite

Saturday, June 18 · 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Gather at the clock tower, depart at 5:30 PM
The ride will travel from the clock tower to the site of his death on Empire Grade near the West Entrance of UCSC.

For any questions about the memorial ride, please contact Kelly Brown (twowheeledlady(at)gmail.com) or Rick Graves (rick(at)clutchcouriers.com). Donations can be made to the Zachary Parke Memorial Fund at Santa Cruz Community Credit Union.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
Hell Yes Go CHP

SANTA CRUZ -- A Live Oak man was booked Friday into County Jail on hit-and-run and vehicular manslaughter charges, days after a Santa Cruz man was struck and killed while riding his bike along Empire Grade Road near UC Santa Cruz.

The body of 25-year-old Zachary Parke was spotted beside the road about 8 a.m. June 8, not far from the west entrance of the campus. He had been visiting friends on campus and was riding southbound when he was struck by a vehicle heading in the same direction, the California Highway Patrol reported earlier.

Elliott Sterling Dess, 21, was arrested Friday.

Dess is expected to be charged by the District Attorney's Office on Monday and could be arraigned as soon as Tuesday, a prosecutor said.

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_18305215