Quantcast

hit and run driver kills cyclist then caught by witnesses.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the roads north of knoxville used to be roadbike nirvana.

all fresh two lane blacktop.
rolling along with the valleys going east or west.
bad ass climbs and descents going north or south.
very little if any traffic.

then all the farmland started getting sold off and urban sprawl set in.
then the assault of lexus, jaguar, infiniti and mercedes began.
not to mention the accompanying contractor vehicles.
all attacking twisty country roads at freeway speed.
as they race to and from their little condo complexes.

my roadbike is now a dust gathering machine who's only purpose in life is to keep my downhill bike from scratching up the wall.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
profro said:
There's still TN 116 :devil:
hey doug.
i gotta better one for you.

vowel mt.
just outside of lake city.
stem snappin steep and stays that way to the top.
and when you get there.
there's a stone wall along a ladies front yard that has a cold spring running out of it.

the descent will scare the bejeezus out of ya.

i don't think they'll be condos up there anytime soon.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Put that bastard on a bike and make him ride around on a Nascar track. Put a bunch of regular cars on there, and 1 guy who's assignment it is to hit the guy on the bike. Inform the guy on the bike he will die by a driver, but don't tell him which one.

Let the bastard know how it feels to be hit by a driver on a bike. Then back over his skull after you hit him the first time.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
peter6061 said:
Hopefully this guy lives a long, unproductive life in prison being raped and beaten by inmates.

RIP to the cyclist.
around here he'll probably get no more than manslaughter, slapped on the wrist and given probation.

and all we'll get is another white cross on the roadside.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Reactor said:
Wonder if we could get the tow truck driver's address and send him a 6 pack?

or at least a thank you for doing the right thing.

who'da thunkit... crashing your company vehicle head on into another vehicle was the right thing. :rofl:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Reactor said:
Wonder if we could get the tow truck driver's address and send him a 6 pack?
You've got a name and a location - I bet with a little google action or a few phone calls you could track him down.

If you do (I don't have the time right now or I would), post it so we can all send him a thank you...

EDIT - Hell, contact the news station and ask what company the guy worked for.

HOOWAH

Monkey
Sep 16, 2001
portland, maine USA
it's great the guy did that, but i kinda doubt the insurance company will be happy that he risked serious injury to himself and someone else, even if the other guy just ran someone over and killed him. it's sad, but i bet he has a hard time with it. the killer can and probably will sue the tow truck driver too.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
he can try to sue, but when you're a convicted felon its not exactly easy to sue someone, especially from jail while another dude rapes you in the a$$.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
peter6061 said:
Wasn't the killer driving on the wrong side of the median? He was going to hit someone.
witnesses said he was speeding and weaving through heavy traffic.
and many times had gone off on both left and right shoulders to get ahead on the road.
when he hit the cyclist, he drove across the median to the oncoming shoulder to make his attempted getaway.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
What if you were a Dr. and a cyclist, and you knew this whole story, and then the killer showed up in your emergency room needing life or death treatment?
Guess that is why I am not a Dr.
Well, that and my tiny brain.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as a Dr, wouldn't be his job to decide. morally he may not want to, but if he doesn't then it is negligence, he loses his job, his medical license, and will never be able to practice medicine again.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Jeremy R said:
What if you were a Dr. and a cyclist, and you knew this whole story, and then the killer showed up in your emergency room needing life or death treatment?
Guess that is why I am not a Dr.
Well, that and my tiny brain.
just a little slip of the scalpel.

oops.
"i musta been thinkin arby's."

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Maryville police officers said Roth was riding westbound alongside the parkway near North Union Grove Road about 4 p.m. when he was struck from behind by a 1999 Chevrolet 1500 pickup truck driven by Tommy L. Carroll, 46, of Vinegar Valley Road, Friendsville.

Witnesses said the truck was being driven erratically before it struck the bicycle, and was weaving back and forth between lanes, off into the grass in the median, then off onto the shoulder. According to a police report, the truck hit the cyclist and knocked the rider onto the hood and windshield of the truck. The rider was carried some distance before he came off the truck and onto the pavement.

Despite a broken windshield, the truck crossed the parkway and into the eastbound lane while continuing west and out of town. Witnesses followed and notified authorities of the hit-and-run vehicle's location.

Near the Long Hollow Road intersection with West Lamar Alexander Parkway, Carroll's truck, still traveling west in the eastbound lanes, collided with another truck. A 2000 Chevrolet 1500 pickup driven by William D. Pritchett, West Vinegar Valley Road, Friendsville, was damaged on the left front, side and rear.

Carroll's truck kept going after the sideswipe with Pritchett's truck and witnesses continued to follow.

The flight from the scene of the collision with the bicycle continued until Carroll's truck collided head-on with a 2003 Ford F-550 utility truck driven by Wilburn Arp, Janeway Road, Maryville.

Carroll was taken to Blount Memorial Hospital by Rural/Metro Ambulance Service but refused treatment and left the emergency room.

The initial accident report did not indicate if alcohol or drugs were contributing factors, but state law requires blood alcohol tests for all drivers involved in a fatal accident.

Am I reading this correctly???? The guy who was swerving and hitting cars and killed the cyclist refuses treatment and leaves the hospital! Man I hope this is a misprint or I'm not reading this correctly.

Here is the whole article: http://www.thedailytimes.com/sited/story/html/262487

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
he was in custody when he went there.
and was locked up after he left.

and get this, doug.
right as i pulled into my paking lot last night after our wednesday night session at windrock.
there was a vicious fatal wreck right back behind me at the st. joseph school.
seems someone pulled out there and was broadsided by some idiot haulin @$$ in a thirty m.p.h. zone.
he of course wasn't the one who expired.

i think riding at windrock is much safer than the drive to and from.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
dhbuilder said:
he was in custody when he went there.
and was locked up after he left.

and get this, doug.
right as i pulled into my paking lot last night after our wednesday night session at windrock.
there was a vicious fatal wreck right back behind me at the st. joseph school.
seems someone pulled out there and was broadsided by some idiot haulin @$$ in a thirty m.p.h. zone.
he of course wasn't the one who expired.

i think riding at windrock is much safer than the drive to and from.
Okay. I knew Maryville couldn't have been that backwards to let him off.

I never could get into road riding in this area. Its so perfect, until you factor in the traffic. I was more comfortable at windrock than riding on the streets here. Hell, I'd love one of them motor-bikes to tinker and play around with, but the soccer moms and uber-important-cell phone drivers spook me to death. I've been tooling around Fairmont on my roommate's old kz and thats about as far as I trust people right now.