Quantcast

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
Man, that looks awesome!! I didn't know Ford was black. And Marvin doesn't look as clunky as I imagined. The Vogons look perfect though. I wonder if they can make Prostetnik Vogon Jeltz's poetry as painful as it's supposed to be. I can't wait to see this movie.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
jaydee said:
Man, that looks awesome!! I didn't know Ford was black. And Marvin doesn't look as clunky as I imagined. The Vogons look perfect though. I wonder if they can make Prostetnik Vogon Jeltz's poetry as painful as it's supposed to be. I can't wait to see this movie.
Yeah, doesn't Mos Def play Ford in this movie version? I think he was white in the other version, which I believe was a miniseries.

butthead

Chimp
Dec 17, 2001
Las Cruces, NM
I saw the teaser at the movies a few weeks ago. It starts with a picture of Earth with some peaceful music playing. Suddenly, Earth blows up and the words "Don't Panic" flash on the screen.

I think I was the only person cheering.....I'm such a nerd. I really hope this movie is done well. I guess I'll find out in May.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
COmtbiker12 said:
Lol, that looks pretty good! I'll have to read the book though. :)
You'd better read the books first. Or else you'll have no idea what's going on. Half the fun is knowing what comes next and seeing how they're going to pull it off.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jaydee said:
Ford's not black, he's an alien :D

That bad poetry would be awesome, but I doubt it'll make it into the movie due to time restrictions since it's not integral. That's why books are superior, but movies are awesome in their own way.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Just got back from see HGG.

I give it 3 stars, although it only contains a tiny portion of the dry, understated humor of the book (or the Beeb series).

Hungry_Hank

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
urban sprawl (orange county)
i think it gets a 3/5. of course, the book was better. but the movie wasn't bad.. it just wasn't good either.

but there is just something funny about a depressed english robot. everytime he spoke i cracked up.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I thought the movie sucked. I almost left 1/2 way thru. Read the book and skip the movie.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
The book will always be better. ALWAYS.

I just didn't like it because they tried to make a love story outta aurthur and trillan

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Saw the movie last night. I thought it sucked ass.

There wasn't enough of anything. Arthur wasn't bumbling enough. Trillian wasn't outspoken enough. Zaphod wasn't zany enough. Ford wasn't odd enough. Slartibartfast wasn't eccentric enough. The pause before the jokes wasn't long enough. The delivery wasn't deliberate enough. The list goes on.

The love story was awful. The "point of view" gun was ridiculous. The movie seemed like it was slapped together in someone's garage during the course of a week, then rushed off to the theater.

Ugh. The only decently interesting characters were Malkovich's character (who wasn't on-screen for more than 10 minutes), and Marvin (whose voice I recognized immediately and the character was excellent). Oh, and the Guide was kind of cool. 1.5 starts out of 5.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i had thought i had read the book years ago, but apparantly i hadn't. i'm glad i didn't, it would have made an average movie suck. i don't read books anymore, bad for the eyes.

*staring into the moniter* :dead: