Quantcast

Hitting on someone's else girlfriend

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was at the pub, and I saw a close acquaintance (but not a good friend) there. He was there with a couple of people, include a girl that I have met before.

Anyway, she and I hit it off well. I wanted to ask her out, but I was not sure if she was dating my acquaintance. The three of us were always together, so I never got a chance to be alone with her.

I will see her again, because her brother asked me to get her a bike. But I was wondering what RM's think I should have done? Ask her out right in front of my acquaintance, who I am friends with?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
i would have done what you did: play it cool until you figure out what her deal is with your acquaintance.

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
What Toshi said.

But as far as dating someone else's other? Be prepared for her to do the same to you. Good times can be had, just keep your expectations realistic. ;)

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
:rolleyes:

You could have asked them "So, are you two just friends or are you dating/in a relationship? "

and if they are dating........very not cool to try to steal a friends girl ... but you said he is not a friend so go for it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Definitly don't ask her out until you find out their situation. I'd probably avoid doing it right in front of your friend, too, unless you know how he feels about her. It may be a situation of unrequited love, which doesn't mean that she's off the market, but doing it right in front of your friend might rub salt in the wound.

Depends on how much you like the guy, though :D

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
In converstaion just find out if the two of them came there together.. or just do what you did.. play it cool until you see her again.. alone.. and ask her. It never hurts to ask, even if she is dating him.. she may not be happy.

When I met my wife she was dating someone. I met her in a club through some mutual friends and asked her out to dinner. When she told me she had a b/f, I said ok .. invite him too. a week later she got rid of him and called me up. Now we are married.

You just never know!!!! ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
douglas said:
:rolleyes:
You could have asked them "So, are you two just friends or are you dating/in a relationship? "and if they are dating........very not cool to try to steal a friends girl ... but you said he is not a friend so go for it.
Exactly... :rolleyes: just ask. Could have dont it right there and gotten it out of the way, jeez.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea should have just asked her to show her puppies. got make sure the goods are good before you do anything

jmvar

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
"It was a funny angle!"
Should have bought the guy 2 beers, and then waited for him to go take a leak.

Either way, if they were together the whole time at the pub, they are either dating, or he is putting in work to get a date in the future. It sucks to ask the question "are you guys dating" and have them not really know......either way, he is bogarting the goods. If you ask her out then and there you might get flagged for encroachment. If you don't then you might get a delay of game and end up with a turn over. I would risk the encroachment call.

I was in a similar situation in college, at the bar, saw a girl I had spoken to a couple of times that I really wanted to ask out. I did, she points at her boyfriend, who was getting the same degree as me and we were in a lot of classes together. Luckly, he either didn't hear me, or ignoring on purpose and all was good. Never got a chance to go out with her, but it feels good that I atleast tried.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
jmvar said:
Should have bought the guy 2 beers, and then waited for him to go take a leak.

Either way, if they were together the whole time at the pub, they are either dating, or he is putting in work to get a date in the future. It sucks to ask the question "are you guys dating" and have them not really know......either way, he is bogarting the goods. If you ask her out then and there you might get flagged for encroachment. If you don't then you might get a delay of game and end up with a turn over. I would risk the encroachment call.

I was in a similar situation in college, at the bar, saw a girl I had spoken to a couple of times that I really wanted to ask out. I did, she points at her boyfriend, who was getting the same degree as me and we were in a lot of classes together. Luckly, he either didn't hear me, or ignoring on purpose and all was good. Never got a chance to go out with her, but it feels good that I atleast tried.
This :stupid: is the closest yet posted to my own code regarding such things.

I once asked a girl out at OzzFest who had gone there on the ticket of and with one of my stoner buddies. I found out later that day after spending the concert with her(in the woods :devil: ) that she had gone to the show with him but had already come to the conclusion that she and he "would just be friends". She went home with me and I dated her for six months. Funny because she and that guy are to this day still friends even though he has pined for(yet still never sampled) her. I found out after the fact that it drove him nuts that she would still sometimes spend the night with me even after we had broken up. It's like he has been bogarting the goods for 10 years, scaring away the unaggressive from taxing that admittedly nice punanny. He's kind of like a fully-functional(therefore, supremely, frustratedly blue-balled) eunuch guarding the shiek's harem from wayward phalluses! :thumb:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
make sure you ask her what the deal is, not him. if you ask her then you will get a more honest answer.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
LOOnatic said:
Good one Biggins.
Now i need to have a talk with Lizzie :eviltongu :sneaky:
now thats just dirty.

she will be over tonight, give it your best shot. :nuts:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Her brother asked me to get her a bike (for free). It wasn't exactly No. 1 on my priority list, but she asked me as well. People leave repairs for months, so I will take one of those bikes for her. By that point, I better be able to figure out if she is "available".

flydi007

Chimp
Feb 16, 2005
asleep at my desk
eh, ask her out. i was at a party with another guy when i hooked up with his friend, who is now my husband. they are still friends and they still joke about it. so i don't see a problem with asking a girl out if she's on a date with another guy-ultimately it's her decision to accept anyway, right?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
As a follow-up, I gave the bike to her brother, who immediately called his sister to tell her the good news. She wanted to talk to me, and we made arrangements for a date. SCORE!!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
lovebunny said:
many shops have a policy where if, for example a bike is left for 6 months then its up for grabs
That is the kind of bike I was talking about, btw. It wasn't the baby blue Titus Racer-X that hasn't been picked up for a week.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
sanjuro said:
That is the kind of bike I was talking about, btw. It wasn't the baby blue Titus Racer-X that hasn't been picked up for a week.
Yeah, when I worked in a shop there were plenty of bikes in the basement that people had just left. I always failed to understand why you'd take a bike in to get fixed and then never return to pick it up...

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
I think you should have asked dexterq advice about asking out girls with boy friends. he took a girl that already had a gf to prom and then asked my gf to go to lake meid with him and his frat for memorial day weekend...hmmm

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
manziman said:
I think you should have asked dexterq advice about asking out girls with boy friends. he took a girl that already had a gf to prom and then asked my gf to go to lake meid with him and his frat for memorial day weekend...hmmm
Send out the Wu Tang Clan to cap his ass :nuts: