Quantcast

hitting pedals on the ground

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
I'm on a small (16 inch) CAAD5 cannnondale and have really noticed how many time I am hitting the pedals on rocks and roots, especially when climbing singtrack out of the saddle, and the fork is fairly compressed. I think I must measure the BB height, I am using 175mm cranks, should I be using shorter ones ?

are Cannondale's kmown for low BB's ?

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
New bike? When I go from a higher to lower BB I find I just naturally change my riding style over time to take it into account. Maybe you just need to think about it a little more. If you go with shorter cranks you'll be giving up some leverage. Do you want to do that for the sake of .25 or .5 more cm of clearance?

rockracing

Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Cape Town, South Africa
Originally posted by F5000sl
Those cranks seem a little long I think for that size bike.
Maybe 170mm.
you could be on too something, the cranks I'm on weren't originally on the bike.....would I notice the change in leverage if I changed to shorter cranks ?

I once had 170mm on my roadbike, which i think I struggled with, always had problems with a 53t though, loved climbing with the 39 but just couldn't handle the 53 on the flat...solved that by selling the bike and not buying another one :D

SASQUATCH-J

Chimp
Sep 30, 2003
NEDERLAND COLORADO
just be more aware of how much clearence you have, you can always rachet your pedals a bit to keep form hitting them on some obstacles. thats what i do anyway, just kinda time it, i still do it once in a while when i try to squeeze in a full stroke when i really dont have room to, but if your carefull youll be ok, if you hit it too hard, its a good way to bend your BB.
-J

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Just change your riding style. Pure XC bikes have lower BB's. The difference between 175 and 170mm cranks is very small - 0.19". Hardly noticable. That would be alot to spend to get such a small increase in clearance.