Quantcast

Hitting the BIG guys

Aug 6, 2008
The Shores
When I rode moto, it took me time to build to the big doubles, and tabletops. I never really any big dirt jumps on my bike when I was younger, if its like dirtbikes ( I know without the motor ) it helps to have guys with you who know speed and angle to hit with. Anybody down to meet up at those A2's and help um out, I'll prob be rolling a 20 though? I dont want to end up in sling cause I refuse to ask for help.

If anybodys got tips they can convey through words on here, then let me know how you tackle big hits?

Thanks, Corey

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
never did any big ones myself, but here's a technique I've seen before: some guys entering a spot for the fisrt time, watching huge doubles (gaps > 7m).. what do they do? just go hella fast, jump of the bike in midair if they notice they won't make it, then try again with less speed, and so on, approaching the correct speed like this. No idea if everybody does it like this, but after they nailed the jumps, they were doing massive tricks so it's not that it was a one time business for them.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i may be wrong about this cuz i have never even been on a motocross bike. . . .

but maybe it's harder to apply physics to jumping bicycles because a lot of it depends on the rider's ability to pump/boost a jump.

i think you could have two riders hit the same double at the same speed but one who knows how to boost (pump the launch with your feet/arms/whole body) is going to do it perfect and the other dude who does not pump/boost the jump at all is going to come up way short. so it's not just the speed and trajectory of the jump that will determine whether they make the gap or not.

i think the best way to test how far you can jump is to build a very large lake jump launch. some 9th street locals here built one that was 6 feet tall with a 14 ft. transition and i heard they were absolutely blasting out into lake austin. no pics yet though. big transitions = big airs.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
You start smaller, and build up to them. I don't think you're gonna get any real shortcuts. If you can't start with smaller jumps, you just have to hit that **** and hope for the best. Try to follow someone in to guage the speed....

sixgun_sound

Monkey
Sep 24, 2007
Yakima, WA
Yeah, start small, follow someone in.

I have to kind of disagree with the boosting thing. I saw a couple guys doing a train through a line the other day. The guy in front boosted like crazy, and the guy behind him just soaked it up, racer style. The guy in front almost landed on the guy behind him, but they both cleared it just fine.

I think following someone is pretty much the standard way of guaging speed for a new jump.