Quantcast

Hlep me out of this mess!!

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
**** Name to protect the other involved.. ***

Well here is my day: Enjoy It. I did not!! This morning i was traveling to Virginia for the first DH race of the season. I was excited and anxous but still a bit uncertain of how I would do, since I crashed so badly last year. Anyway, I left at 5 AM this morning to make the 3 hour drive. Well my drive became a bit longer than that..

I ended up meeting one of my fellow riders on the road, by accident, so we decised to travel together.. We had been driving together for about 90 minutes when it happened.. We were traveling down a 4 lane highway in Virginia- He was in the lead and I was behind him. NOT TAILGATING by our standards- about 4-5 car lenghts about 3-4 seconds, and we were just rolling. I though about 70- actual 72. LIttle did I realise that we were in a 55 not a 65. OOPS.. The officer got ***** nose to nose at 72. The cop turned around and motioned me over and then caught *****. He took my Lic. and Reg. and advises me that I was doing 72 in a 55 ( almost reckless driving and was citing me with reckless driving for tailgating and for speeding. OUCH

Sure enough I have two tickets sitting on my desk worth 4 point each.. In virginia - which will transfer to MD..

Does anyone know the exact # of points it ill be?

Should I just put a bullet in my head now?

If anyone has any advise that may help me decide what to do please let me know. right now I am really frustrated and can't believe that the officer gave me two tickets and really messed up my insurance future for at least the next 5-8 years.

This really sucks.

Not to the Downhill.. the race went really well and it felt really good to go back out and ride.. Today was my first day on Time plat. Clips. (I forget their name) I have riddend on platfors for the the last three years and I was really happy wihth their performance. Although it was not a really hard course it was a good couse to try them out on..

Anyway congrats to all that placed really well today and most of all had fun.. To ****** it sucks to be us..

anything over 20mph the limit is like 4 points. this happened to me once driving home from plattekill. i was caught doing 68 in a 45 and got pulled over. the cop saw the bike and ask me if i was mountain biking in the area. i said yeah and was very cordial. he said if i mail in the ticket and goto court, he would meet me there and plead me down to a lesser charge. in the end, my 4 point ticket was reduced to a 1 or 2 pointer...

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Originally posted by GiantDHRider
anything over 20mph the limit is like 4 points. this happened to me once driving home from plattekill. i was caught doing 68 in a 45 and got pulled over. the cop saw the bike and ask me if i was mountain biking in the area. i said yeah and was very cordial. he said if i mail in the ticket and goto court, he would meet me there and plead me down to a lesser charge. in the end, my 4 point ticket was reduced to a 1 or 2 pointer...
The good news is that we were not 20 over-- :) the bad news is that we were in Virginia and they do not budge on tickets.

I taled a ticket down in NY when I was 16 and had it reduced to a 1110a. Failure to obey a traffic signal.. In Virginia it is the same level point and 70$ more.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
yeah...i'd say that you are pretty screwed. They also scale the "mph" system so that it is most beneficial to them, I saw this when I got a ticket in utah. There isn't much that you can do, except plead in court I'd say. I've seen way too many traps around here to speed more than 5mph over the limit. I know that I can afford that ticket and that it will not really negatively affect me. I do know cops that pull people around for going just 5mph over (on the way to phoenix on 69), so it is still a possibility, but in the end I just can't afford the insurance jump that comes from a serious ticket. I've had an accident and my share of tickets, and it's been a very long time since I've had another one, there are some instances where I like to have "fun" on some backroads or places that I know the risk is very low, but I also have to accept that nothing is foolproof and if i get caught, gotta pony up to it if I get caught.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Originally posted by Jm_
yeah...i'd say that you are pretty screwed. They also scale the "mph" system so that it is most beneficial to them, I saw this when I got a ticket in utah. There isn't much that you can do, except plead in court I'd say. I've seen way too many traps around here to speed more than 5mph over the limit. I know that I can afford that ticket and that it will not really negatively affect me. I do know cops that pull people around for going just 5mph over (on the way to phoenix on 69), so it is still a possibility, but in the end I just can't afford the insurance jump that comes from a serious ticket. I've had an accident and my share of tickets, and it's been a very long time since I've had another one, there are some instances where I like to have "fun" on some backroads or places that I know the risk is very low, but I also have to accept that nothing is foolproof and if i get caught, gotta pony up to it if I get caught.
Yeah-- I will have to go to court- maybe. I am searching for info to know what my points will be in Maryland.. Once I have this info i will go to traffic school and have the points reduced. I am really not worried too much about the points. I can work with them.. Ie the class. I just don't want my insurance to go up..

The frustrating thing is that we were just driving., not racing or anything like that.. Just driving. My friend races all the time and he has not gotten caught yet.. His time will come..

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
todd, that sucks ass, i had to miss the damn race cause my boss is a nazi and i had to work, howd you do?

i just talked to hartlove but he didnt have results on hand

Morgan

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
I finished 4.08. Not great.. Not last -but it felt really good to be back on the bike.. I love the time clips.. :0 Much better than Shim.. Look at this this way.. You made money I lost money and will have to pay a shiz load more for insurance now..

SUCKS TO BE ME

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
come on down and ride tomorrow
or pick me up and lets go to 7 courts or ride street or davidsonville, or crofton, or catonsville, or anyfreakingwhere else than catonsville alone

Morgan

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Were you driving a white car with a MountainCycle on a trunk rack?

If so, I saw you on my way to the race, sucks man.

I was thinking about mowing down the cop to help out a fellow DHer, but by the time I got there, I figured he already had called in your tags.....

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Originally posted by BigMike
Were you driving a white car with a MountainCycle on a trunk rack?

If so, I saw you on my way to the race, sucks man.

I was thinking about mowing down the cop to help out a fellow DHer, but by the time I got there, I figured he already had called in your tags.....
NAAA I was the red honda with the red Disco on top. parked just behind the cruiser that was right behind the white acura.. Yes that was us. Sucks to be us. What were you driving?

T0mo

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
nedtown, colorado
tickets are fun, huh? I just got my first one for "riding a portion of a motor vehicle not designed for passengers". It was just gonna be "clinging to a moving vehicle" or something like that, but of course the $35 fine wasn't enough so they found the second one, which was $100.

If running boards aren't meant for passengers, what are they for?:mad:

I'm currently collecting donations to help pay this thing if I have to(I might be able to get this thing thrown out). Any amount helps. If you would like to help me out with this thing, you would be one of the coolest people ever. period.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Ya, last sunday coming home from plattekill I got ticketed for 72 in a 55 as well. I thought it was a 65 as well. I must agree, speeding tickets suck ass. Not nearly as bad as my 63 in a 35 though...or my two written warnings in the same day...or...man i get ****ty luck with them police people...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Originally posted by Karpieldisco
NAAA I was the red honda with the red Disco on top. parked just behind the cruiser that was right behind the white acura.. Yes that was us. Sucks to be us. What were you driving?
A faded light blue Volvo Station Wagon. My bike was in the car, so you probably wouldnt have noticed unless you saw the Marzocchi and RM stickers on my car.

We were the ones right up at the top of the parking lot by the rope. There was one open trailer, and one closed white trailer in the group. and a blue (I think) easy up tent like thingy :)

It was all :monkey:'s up there (well, mostly)

Oh yeah, I was on an '02 Grey Norco Shore with a SuperT+
(one of two Norco's I saw, the other one was an '03 in Army Green, and that was Endo ((I think thats his RM name)))

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
that is funny. I parked right next to you while the awards were going on so i could load up my car. There is no way i was going to make it over the big ass hole right in from of your car..

HOw did you do for the day?

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I am searching for info to know what my points will be in Maryland
Karpieldisco: Check a Virginia phone book and look in the lawyer section and find one that specializes in traffic tickets. Then, find one that offers a free first consultation. Get some advise and see if a professional can help or maybe get the tailgating one dropped if you plead guilty to the speeding. Using a lawyer will cost $$$ now, but generally saves more in the longterm. Granted I'm in NYS, but I got clipped on I87 for 80 in a 55, and the lawyer got it reduced to failing to obey a traffic device. I didn't even have to go to court. Just paid the bill, and done. Good luck.

Verizon Virginia Lawyers

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Great Idea thanks.. I just got a very good call. My wife is at a party and sure enough one of her new firends ( she belongs to a celica club) is an ex virginia cop and is going to review all the info and put me in touch with someone down there. I have to take my car in to have the calibration tested. If it is off - possible lower ticket. He believes my "tailgatin" is not reckless but rather following too closely. We will meet with council and they go to court. He said they target out of state cars - all they want is the money.. Will have to see..

Glad to hear I am not the only one to get nailed in this manner. At 30 you woudl think I could handle it.. But it has just freaked me out..

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by Karpieldisco
**** Name to protect the other involved.. ***

Well here is my day: Enjoy It. I did not!! This morning i was traveling to Virginia for the first DH race of the season. I was excited and anxous but still a bit uncertain of how I would do, since I crashed so badly last year. Anyway, I left at 5 AM this morning to make the 3 hour drive. Well my drive became a bit longer than that..

I ended up meeting one of my fellow riders on the road, by accident, so we decised to travel together.. We had been driving together for about 90 minutes when it happened.. We were traveling down a 4 lane highway in Virginia- He was in the lead and I was behind him. NOT TAILGATING by our standards- about 4-5 car lenghts about 3-4 seconds, and we were just rolling. I though about 70- actual 72. LIttle did I realise that we were in a 55 not a 65. OOPS.. The officer got ***** nose to nose at 72. The cop turned around and motioned me over and then caught *****. He took my Lic. and Reg. and advises me that I was doing 72 in a 55 ( almost reckless driving and was citing me with reckless driving for tailgating and for speeding. OUCH

Sure enough I have two tickets sitting on my desk worth 4 point each.. In virginia - which will transfer to MD..

Does anyone know the exact # of points it ill be?

Should I just put a bullet in my head now?

If anyone has any advise that may help me decide what to do please let me know. right now I am really frustrated and can't believe that the officer gave me two tickets and really messed up my insurance future for at least the next 5-8 years.

This really sucks.

Not to the Downhill.. the race went really well and it felt really good to go back out and ride.. Today was my first day on Time plat. Clips. (I forget their name) I have riddend on platfors for the the last three years and I was really happy wihth their performance. Although it was not a really hard course it was a good couse to try them out on..

Anyway congrats to all that placed really well today and most of all had fun.. To ****** it sucks to be us..
2 words: Valentine One

The best radar detector out there, it is pricey but if you like to drive over the speed limit(who doesn't) it pays for itself in no time!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Not all cops will use radar or laser, they might get behind you (especially at night) and pace you and see how fast you are going.

If a cop is using laser or radar and NOT painting anybody, and then when you pass he decides to paint you, you won't get any warning. The entire radar/laser decetion theory works off of reflected energy. So if he is sitting there tagging every car that goes by, you'll probably get a good warning, if not, you may get none.

Radar/laser detectors do help, but relying on one so that you can drive "over the limit" is going to bite you in the a$$ eventually.

duff-man

Chimp
Oct 2, 2001
Fresno, Ca.
Originally posted by Jm_
Not all cops will use radar or laser, they might get behind you (especially at night) and pace you and see how fast you are going.

If a cop is using laser or radar and NOT painting anybody, and then when you pass he decides to paint you, you won't get any warning. The entire radar/laser decetion theory works off of reflected energy. So if he is sitting there tagging every car that goes by, you'll probably get a good warning, if not, you may get none.

Radar/laser detectors do help, but relying on one so that you can drive "over the limit" is going to bite you in the a$$ eventually.
I agree, you have to use your radar detector as a tool in addition to your natural cop detecting abilities such as continuously scanning the road ahead and behind you for pace cars or cops hiding out near off ramps or other sneaky hiding places.

You have to use them with a bit of common sense, if you are the only one on the road and come across some instant-on radar there is nothing you can do. I have friends that rely soley on their detectors and the only reason they haven't received a ticket yet is pure luck.