Quantcast

Hmm.... Scam anyone?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So, I put my bike up for sale, and got this email today:

Hiii Good Day,

I came accros ur ads (BIKE) which am intrested in buying from u.

Now i only want to know of its still available.

If available i will want u to get back to me with present condition on it.

Also i will want u to know that i shall be paying with a BANKERS CERTIFIED CHEQUE and if u are ok with it pls do get back to me so that we can conclude on everything today.

Thanks soo much and i look up to ur urgent response today.

U can also contact me at sandra_s_terry@yahoo.com

Reagards..
Mrs Sandra Terry
Yeah, I think i'll go for this! :rolleyes:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You're kidding me...of course it's a scam. [EDIT: Missed your last line and smiley...gettin' late...sorry...] 100%, without any doubt.

Overseas sellers can Paypal you or Western Union you cash instantly; get the bills in your hand and send out the merchandise.

This one didn't say anything about overseas, but they're going to send you a forged cashier's check and the funds will be withdrawn from your bank account when the forgery is discovered.

I'm also weary of those who don't use good English; however, scammers are the ones who make me leery.

MD

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
BigMike said:
Please tell me thats a joke................
i see where you're coming from, but i agree with MikeD. there's too many foreign scammers out there. and if you do get scammed, it's easier to track the SOB down and inflict the pain of the law upon him if he's in the states as opposed to being in a foreign land.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
Please tell me thats a joke................
Weary as defined by Webster's: 1. Exhausted in strength, endurance, vigor, or freshness. 2. Expressing or characteristic of weariness. 3. having one's patience, tolerance, or pleasure exhausted--used with of [italics Webster's]

Leery, by the way, is defined as "suspicious, wary--often used with of." [Again, italics are Webster's.].

So where's the joke?

MD

Edit: That's the Webster's tenth collegiate edition, by the way.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
MikeD said:
I'm also weary of those who don't use good English; however, scammers are the ones who make me leery.

MD
LOL - gotta be weary becasue they are either scammers, or teenagers... :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
splat said:
Since it says its a her , ask her if whe would be willing to trade sex for it .

that might prove to be an interesting response. :)
BWAAAAAAAAH!

Here's your reply:

Dearest Terry,

I am most joy to recieve your letter. You probably did not know but I am not having sex for over 3 years! I do not require a cashiers cheque, for all you need to do is make love with me and you may have the bike for free. Strangely I lose many bikes this way but as you can guess it's worth it. I eagerly await your respond.

:D

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MikeD said:
Weary as defined by Webster's: 1. Exhausted in strength, endurance, vigor, or freshness. 2. Expressing or characteristic of weariness. 3. having one's patience, tolerance, or pleasure exhausted--used with of [italics Webster's]

Leery, by the way, is defined as "suspicious, wary--often used with of." [Again, italics are Webster's.].

So where's the joke?

MD

Edit: That's the Webster's tenth collegiate edition, by the way.

The joke would be that you said you are weary of those "who don't use good English." If you knew "good English," you would know the correct way to say that sentance would be "I am weary of those who do not use English well."

:D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
The joke would be that you said you are weary of those "who don't use good English." If you knew "good English," you would know the correct way to say that sentance would be "I am weary of those who do not use English well."
Why shouldn't the adjective "good" modify "English?" There's nothing wrong with saying "good English." Choosing the adverb "well" to modify "use" is purely an arbitrary choice. You're arguing a point of style, not grammar, and it's not even a particularly valid point.

Edit: To illustrate my point, consider the sentence "I use good paint." This is a perfectly valid sentence; substitute "English" for "paint" and nothing changes. Additionally, saying "I use paint well" completely changes the meaning of the sentence.

And you spelled "sentence" wrong.

MD

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MikeD said:
Why shouldn't the adjective "good" modify "English?" There's nothing wrong with saying "good English." Choosing the adverb "well" to modify "use" is purely an arbitrary choice. You're arguing a point of style, not grammar, and it's not even a particularly valid point.
I have always been taught it is incorrect. I have to go to class now, but i'll follow up on this later :)
MikeD said:
And you spelled "sentence" wrong.

MD

Touché

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
I have always been taught it is incorrect. I have to go to class now, but i'll follow up on this later :)
Well, tell whomever taught you that they don't use good English, either.

Does it sound less offensive if I tell you I speak good German? That may sound less grating to you, but it continues to prove the point that precluding the use of the adjective "good" with the noun "English" is completely arbitrary.

MD

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
MikeD said:
Well, tell whomever taught you that they don't use good English, either.

Does it sound less offensive if I tell you I speak good German? That may sound less grating to you, but it continues to prove the point that precluding the use of the adjective "good" with the noun "English" is completely arbitrary.

MD

No, I still think it should be that you speak German well. and the person who taught me is my mother, and English teacher :think:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So I emailed her back basically trying to say f*** off. I said she can pay with paypal, or a check that I will cash BEFORE I send her the bike. I just got this:

Hiii Mr Mike,

Thanks soo much for the mail and its really cool reading from u today.

Firstly am really glad cos is still available.

Yea i will want u to know that am really ok with the price.And just to let u know that we are ready to pay with personal certfied cashiers check(so i will want u to get back to us with ur last price)so dont worry but we shall be paying with a BANKERS CERTIFIED CHEQUE and if u are really ok with that pls do get back to us and let us conclude on everything soonest.

As for the shipping,we will handle that ourself by contacting our international shipping agent to really take good proper care of that for us.Also i will want u to mail us a pics if u can get that and if not dont worry cos am really ok with details u gave us ot it alreday.Pls i will really want us to conclude on everything if possible today cos am getting the car for my husband as a surprice birthday gift.

Really am a citizen of UK and my husband is from Norway so we based over here is Norway so just dont worry about the shipping we will handle that urself once again.

Thanks soo much and i look up to ur email today.

U can also contact me at sandra_s_terry@yahoo.com.

Regards.
Mrs Sandra Terry
So here comes the international part.................

Now, how do i screw with her? I fell enlightened by that other thread, and the P-P-P-Powerbook!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
BigMike said:
No, I still think it should be that you speak German well. and the person who taught me is my mother, and English teacher :think:
I'd be interested to see the grammatical rule I'm breaking, or simply her reasoning. Maybe I'm completely wrong, or she simply thinks it sounds crude. Then again, my girlfriend is an English major and a professional proofreader, and didn't see anything wrong with "good English."

Can't even find anything in Strunk's about it. Anyhow, yeah, it's a scam, and I'm off to enjoy a good day. Have fun screwing with him. (I'm sure it's not a woman.)

MD

splat

Nam I am
BigMike said:
So I emailed her back basically trying to say f*** off. I said she can pay with paypal, or a check that I will cash BEFORE I send her the bike. I just got this:

So here comes the international part.................

Now, how do i screw with her? I fell enlightened by that other thread, and the P-P-P-Powerbook!
Simple you send her some Pics

and Tell her to send the check to :

Jason Varitek
1 Yawkey Way
Boston , MA 02115

or find some really crappy bike , ( some thing found in a garbage heap should do nicely ) Hose it down , take some pics , send them to her get the check , and when the shipping agent shows up give them that bike.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Read the last sentence of paragraph four ("Pls i will really want us to conclude on everything if possible today cos am getting the car for my husband as a surprice birthday gift.")

Now she thinks she is buying a car???? :confused:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Looky! Looky! ANOTHER ONE!

Hello,
My name is Lawrence Floyd I Lived in the heart of England
I'm highly intersted in your ads
Pls,what is your last offer ??
Tell me the present condition.
Preffered method of payment is Money order or Certified cashier's check
Shipping costs will be my responsibility.I have a shippingagent of mine who is going to handle the shippment, I'll be expecting your mail soonest.if really you are very interested.
Send pics if really avilable.Give me the last offer,
Pls reply today.

Buyer information

NAME: Lawrence Floyd

STREET ADDRESS: The Royal Citade

CITY: Plymouth

STATE Devon

ZIP/POSTALCODE: PL1 2QD

TELEPHONE#: +44 7040 11 7440

E-Mail Address lawrence_f_123_2005@yahoo.com
EMAIL ME OR CALL WITH ANY QUESTIONS.
Take Care
Lawrence Floyd

Do people really fall for this stuff?

How can I screw them over? this sounds like fun..........

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Put them in contact with one another...?

Ooooh, Mr. Floyd lives in the "Royal Citade." How posh.