Quantcast

hmmm...USPS shipping + auction + missing axle

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so this person won the bid for a QR20 axle i put on ebay a few weeks ago. the auction ended the 5th, and i mailed it off, USPS priority, on the 6th or 7th. she still hasn't received the axle. assuming she doesn't get it by _______ (how long should i wait?) how do i handle this; refund all her money, half her money, none of her money, send her some sardines? i don't want her to think i screwed her over, but i also don't really want to lose money because USPS lost a package. i know it's the holiday season, and snappy mail delivery isn't to be expected, but it's been 10 days.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
well, how far away does she live in relation to you? but then again, it really should have gotten there by now. was there a tracking number associated with the package? just call USPS and bitch them out, it's been too long.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The responsibility resides with the seller to make sure the package gets to the buyer. You chose to go USPS, I'm sure, because it's cheap. But it offers no tracking information which is a risk you take by going the cheap route. If you didn't insure it or get delivery confirmation, you're out the full price.

Sucks. Wait a few more days - I don't think two weeks is unreasonable for the buyer to wait as long as you're in communication with her. Then, offer a refund and ask how she wants to handle it.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
the Inbred said:
so this person won the bid for a QR20 axle i put on ebay a few weeks ago. the auction ended the 5th, and i mailed it off, USPS priority, on the 6th or 7th. she still hasn't received the axle. assuming she doesn't get it by _______ (how long should i wait?) how do i handle this; refund all her money, half her money, none of her money, send her some sardines? i don't want her to think i screwed her over, but i also don't really want to lose money because USPS lost a package. i know it's the holiday season, and snappy mail delivery isn't to be expected, but it's been 10 days.
I went through this selling a messenger bag on Ebay.
1 month later the customer had not gotten the bag. I had chosen USPS as the shipper, to save bucks. I should have sprung for the couple of bucks for insurance, but I didn't. So I ate the price of the bag.

I look at it like this - if i order from Supergo and the package gets lost in shipping, do i say "Well, lets split the loss". No, I call and say that I want my stuff, and dealing with the shipper is their problem, not mine - they contract the shipper, I do not. So it's their responsibility. Same deal here - you contracted with the shipper, so it's your resonsability to make sure she gets her stuff or her money back. Sucks, but that's doing buisness in the modern world.

Funny this was, 2 months later the package was returned to me - with an incorrect address notice - the buyer had transposed 2 digits in her zip code when she sent me her shipping address. I contacted her and she bought the bag from me for the original price she had bid on Ebay!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
See. You should have just given it to me, and I would have paid shipping.

btw -- According to my dad(20+yrs w/postoffice), you can have them track the package to see where it is.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Even funnier is dad looks a lot like Cliffy.
When we riding this weekend??? I may go to Austin to shop for coats tomorrow??? Should we ride down there? I am even considering the SS for WC. Not sure.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
loco said:
When we riding this weekend??? I may go to Austin to shop for coats tomorrow??? Should we ride down there? I am even considering the SS for WC. Not sure.

Susan's sister is getting married Sunday. So we will be leaving for SA on Saturday afternoon. Might try to squeeze a ride in Saturday morning. Probably be back in Wacko Sunday night. Got to get back for the doggies. Suppose to be in the twenties Sunday night.

She is off Monday and Tuesday. Want to ride during the day.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Ugh...I went through an ordeal with this online shopping/catalog clothing company...a while before I left for Mexico I was looking for skirts and shorts, and I found some in this catalog...well, I wasn't sure what size I'd need so I had picked out three different styles and ordered each one in two sizes. The package never arrived before I left, so I called when I got back to ask them to cancel the order. They had shipped it via DHL, and instructed DHL to deliver it to the post office for delivery. I was the one who had to call DHL to find this out. They did not have any tracking info from the post office. I called the stupid online store...THEY didn't have any info. So they wanted to ship another package and I was like, no I don't need the skirts now, but I'd like the Party Like a Rockstar wife beater I ordered with the skirts. So they credited my account for the skirts...and three weeks later...still no PLARS wife beater. I called AGAIN and the person who I talked to this time told me the person who reordered the shirt didn't do it right, so SHE reordered it and then questioned me as to why I didn't want the skirts...like implying that I lied...f them...I will NEVER shop with that company AGAIN...

Oh...ALWAYS ALWAYS have a way to track your package and PAY for insurance...this reminds me of all those people that ship bikes without insuring them and then they try to swindle UPS to pay for the bike they trashed even though they were too friggin cheap to insure it...

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
Susan's sister is getting married Sunday. So we will be leaving for SA on Saturday afternoon. Might try to squeeze a ride in Saturday morning. Probably be back in Wacko Sunday night. Got to get back for the doggies. Suppose to be in the twenties Sunday night.

She is off Monday and Tuesday. Want to ride during the day.
Hrrmmm - want to ride in Austin Saturday morning???

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
I'm not riding the Banshee at WC, and I'm too lazy to fix the flat on the Brew.
I'll put a tube in for you. Krissakes - it takes less than 60 seconds. :rolleyes:

We don't have to ride WC either. How about a mid morning ride at BLORA and Susan can pick you up in Temple?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
you can change a flat in less than 60 seconds? damn!

i went with USPS, but i gave her the option of UPS or USPS. not that it really matters.

ever since FedEx left a package at my door, which had then gotten stolen, which i still haven't gotten refunded for, which was 9 months ago, i've been a little weary of shipping big stuff. go figure the first problem i have is with a small item.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
the Inbred said:
ever since FedEx left a package at my door, which had then gotten stolen, which i still haven't gotten refunded for, which was 9 months ago, i've been a little weary of shipping big stuff. go figure the first problem i have is with a small item.
That's wierd. FedEx makes me sign for packages. Maybe there ground shippers are different since they are private contractors.

UPS just throws the stuff on the porch and jets. The truck is usually gone before I can get the door open.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Both FedEx and UPS will ship packages with or without signature confirmation. It has nothing to do with who gets what when or how the driver was feeling - either the package was shipped with the signature confirmation option or it wasn't.

At the place I work, the option for signature or not is free - it's just a preference. I don't know if it's free when doing normal shipments, I just know that I always ship signature confirmed.

J

JRB

FedEx ground does not require a sig. Regular FedEx does, but you can decline that at shipping time. It depends on the shipper if it is requires if you don't go FedEx ground. I just went through that. I have a sig on file at FedEx since I trust the neighborhood and they put it on the back porch. The FedEx guy stops to ask about parts from time to time too, though. We may have a deal that I don't really know about. FedEx ground is not the same company. They don't require sigs. If you don't have a main hub, you can't drop a package for return. You have to call and arrange a pick up. I had a shock sit on my porch for 8 days before they came to get it. :confused: I still like FedEx the best.

J

JRB

the Inbred said:
it had signature confirmation. wanna know who signed for it?

"Frt Door"
They signed for some hoof nippers for me at my apartments several years ago. The UPS dude was too lazy to leave a note. It was about the time of their huge strike. They also didn't use much electronic stuff. It was like 95 or so. Anyway, I missed 4 days of work due to some asshead leaving my package at the office and they couldn't find it when I would call UPS. I was livid and will likely always hate brown because of that. Well, that and they had a strike even though I knew drivers making $19 an hour in the late 80s.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco said:
They signed for some hoof nippers for me at my apartments several years ago. The UPS dude was too lazy to leave a note. It was about the time of their huge strike. They also didn't use much electronic stuff. It was like 95 or so. Anyway, I missed 4 days of work due to some asshead leaving my package at the office and they couldn't find it when I would call UPS. I was livid and will likely always hate brown because of that. Well, that and they had a strike even though I knew drivers making $19 an hour in the late 80s.
HOOF NIPPERS? you are SUCH a hick...just when I think you can't get any hicky-er, you pull something like that outta yer ten gallon...I'm surprised you know how to use a computer...

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
HOOF NIPPERS? you are SUCH a hick...just when I think you can't get any hicky-er, you pull something like that outta yer ten gallon...I'm surprised you know how to use a computer...
Good work, c**t. :thumb: That was good and funny.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I've had really bad luck with UPS leaving notes at my apartment and not coming on the days I reschedule because someone will be home. USPS and FedEx have been ok. Lately I've had really good experiences with DHL, but that's mostly work stuff.