Quantcast

Hmmmm. Tire choice for the U.S. Open

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
So what tires is the ideal "Thing" to use for the Open?

This will be my first race their, and determining form the pictures, and video I saw, its pretty dusty/dry. I was thinking of getting Maxxis Minion F 2.7, and two 2.5 High Rollers. Then on race day I would either use the Minion/Roller combo or go for the Roller/Roller. Is this a pretty solid combo for Diablo?

Another thing. Iam stuck in either to get 3c compounds for all tires or just get them in Tubless since im using 823's on them? OORRR 3c/Tubeless combo. 3c Minion2.7 and Highroller2.5 and one Tubeless Highroller 2.5

much Info will be appreciated. You will get a virtual High 5've

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Minion/Roller (used that last season with good results), and dual Minions are good. It's not always dry, but there are enough rocks on the Open course that any kind of mud tire would be a bad idea.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
there are some gnarly rocks there. 2.5", dual-ply DH UST tires + a splash of Stans is a no brainer. tire compound is up to you cause there is alittle bit of every surface there. hardpack berms, sharp rocks, wood drops, loamy dirt ETC.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
there are some gnarly rocks there. 2.5", dual-ply DH UST tires + a splash of Stans is a no brainer. tire compound is up to you cause there is alittle bit of every surface there. hardpack berms, sharp rocks, wood drops, loamy dirt ETC.
my advice, bring ALL of them (if you have them). a couple years ago it POURED on Friday for practice, was wet/sloppy on Sat for qualifying, and then hardened to concrete for the race on Sunday. 2.5 Minions work well, it's usually an easier course (at least compared to their normal race series) so I've been tempted to try a semi-slick in the rear for speed on the lower half...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
sorry I tried to look for a past thread, but I couldnt find one...:disgust1:

Should I run Tubeless or 3c compound? and is 2.5 all you need?
Some run 2.5, but a lot run a larger front. There isn't a huge amount of pedalling- it's fairly steep, quite rocky and short so a larger tire isn't a bad idea. I've run a 2.7 Kenda/Maxxis or 2.8 Michelin most other years, though I might try a 2.5 this year just for kicks. It's really just whatever your preference is for a short, rough track.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Like Dante and Todd said - Maxxis Minion DHF's work pretty well to cover most if not all conditions on the US Open course.

...if you're a hack with the attention span of a ferret on a double-espresso who frequently forgets their line or bashes into the occasion square-edge, ( ===> S.K.C. ) then a 2.7 Minion DHF up front is usually a good idea.
:biggrin:

Even when it gets soaked and muddy, at least 50% of the course will still remain firm - not hardpack, but not muck either. It can get sloppy - maybe like Tara Reid sloppy after 2 hours of drinking, but not anywhere NEAR Lindsay Lohan sloppy. Usually I'll go to a High Roller if its been raining.

Spikes like Swampthings could work but as Profro has stated, Wet Screams - even cut down are overkill and may actually work against you since when the course is dry/tacky it's mostly hardpack with lots of rocks and rock-faces. The larger surface area of the lugs/tread blocks on a Minion or High Roller just seem to hook up better under these conditions.

...if you're feeling a bit saucy, you can try the 2.5 front 2.35 (dual ply - only found at ChainReactionCycles.com in the UK) but the smaller the tire, the narrower your section height, so be careful.

Jan 29, 2005
i'd say dual dhfs, it can get pretty dusty there, and a tire with a lot of bite that won't fold over is key. The course isn't the fastest in the world, so you could do a 2.5 2.35 combo, however there are a lot of planted rocks, and some people have had pinch flat troubles on lower volume tires, so 2.7 2.5 might work better if you want to run lower pressures

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
There are plenty of sharp rocks with flat written all over them. I've never had troubles with 2.5 Minion DHF's, but this year I might run some 2.5 Intense world cups for additional confidence.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
i'd say dual dhfs, it can get pretty dusty there, and a tire with a lot of bite that won't fold over is key. The course isn't the fastest in the world, so you could do a 2.5 2.35 combo, however there are a lot of planted rocks, and some people have had pinch flat troubles on lower volume tires, so 2.7 2.5 might work better if you want to run lower pressures
id probably run 20 psi front, and 25 rear.