Quantcast

HNNNNNNNGwhyHHHHHHHHHHHNGareHHHHHHHHHHHHNGmyHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRbrakesHRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEsqueelingHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
SRAM Force AXS etap, road group

flat mount

6bolt rotors adapted to centerlock hubs

carbon frame

everything is brand new. I have bedded in the pads and rotors according to SRAM's suggestion- 20 repeated medium speed stops, 6 high speed stops, rest. The rear is still squeeling relentlessly. I have had quiet HOPEs, Hayes, Shimanos, Formulas, and Maguras. I'm 0/1 on SRAM. What gives?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This is happening all over the place with all brands of brakes these days.

What's happening is your pads and/or rotor are vibrating.

What fixes it depends. Gotta change that frequency. Different pads, different rotor (to 2-piece or a different style) , different adapter, pads that have the little fins from kool-stop to operate like balance weights that come on some automotive pads, adding stick-on-weights to the caliper or if possible, the pads (but probably not). I've seen some interesting mods to Specialized stumpys that are particularly susceptible to this.

In any case, this seems to be happening more and more, all/most brands.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm hoping to find an easy solution (tighten the bolts, clean the rotor, spit in the wind, piss on the electric fence) before I buy new pads to replace my new pads or new rotors to replace my new rotors. I will if I have to, but this is just ridiculous.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I'm hoping to find an easy solution (tighten the bolts, clean the rotor, spit in the wind, piss on the electric fence) before I buy new pads to replace my new pads or new rotors to replace my new rotors. I will if I have to, but this is just ridiculous.
Warranty those bitches, shoot a video, document it, send them a registered letter return receipt asking for them to fix the problem or give you your money back. If they fail to do that, file in small claims court, unlikely they'll send anyone to answer in the state you file it in. Best case you get on Judge Judy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This is happening all over the place with all brands of brakes these days.

What's happening is your pads and/or rotor are vibrating.

What fixes it depends. Gotta change that frequency. Different pads, different rotor (to 2-piece or a different style) , different adapter, pads that have the little fins from kool-stop to operate like balance weights that come on some automotive pads, adding stick-on-weights to the caliper or if possible, the pads (but probably not). I've seen some interesting mods to Specialized stumpys that are particularly susceptible to this.

In any case, this seems to be happening more and more, all/most brands.
first thing i'd do is check, double check, and triple check the alignment between caliper/pads/rotor. i gave up on sram brakes years ago, do you still need to push pistons back in?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never needed to try it but for cars antisqueal grease, adhesive or other material is added between the pad and the piston to change the friction characteristics that influences squeal. I wouldn't put any grease near bike brakes but perhaps sanding the back of the pad to change the friction characteristics would help. Just doing one side might be more effective than both as a resonance usually occurs when everything acts in concert with each other, having different characteristics could prevent that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Never needed to try it but for cars antisqueal grease, adhesive or other material is added between the pad and the piston to change the friction characteristics that influences squeal. I wouldn't put any grease near bike brakes but perhaps sanding the back of the pad to change the friction characteristics would help. Just doing one side might be more effective than both as a resonance usually occurs when everything acts in concert with each other, having different characteristics could prevent that.
Yep, comes with all new brake pads for cars.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Small nylon washers under rotor mount bolts, and/or caliper bolts?

I might do light brake grease on back of pad, but if not, some kind of sticker there?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
They also make anaerobic high temp adhesive for this. It cures the first time you put pressure on the brakes, only where theres contact between the pad and piston.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I have this with Shimano road hydros as well. Went through thorough cleaning of pads and rotors. Seemed to help for a little while but came back shortly after. Thinking of trying resin pads because there's nothing resembling an extended descent around here.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I bet a sandwich it won't
you owe me a sandwich, it helped significantly

Make sure to start a new thread for each step.
working on it, just debating what forum
I have this with Shimano road hydros as well. Went through thorough cleaning of pads and rotors. Seemed to help for a little while but came back shortly after. Thinking of trying resin pads because there's nothing resembling an extended descent around here.
interesting, and good to hear. Mine may have been related to some degree of road grime. I cleaned the rotors with IPA, then sanded the pads vertically across the brake surface. Dramatic reduction in noise.

I believe the SRAM brakes come with resin pads already, but I might try some cheap chinese pads to throw opposite the resin ones to have a one and one scenario. That's much cheaper than new rotors and easier than dealing with tacky brake pad goo (which I've tried on hopes in the past...).