Quantcast

hobbies/money pits other than biking?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Physics. Totally engrossed in it. Not exactly a money pit but I can see it heading in that direction. The books are getting pricey as I get further into it....

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I am in the process of building from scratch a 1:10 scale radio controled Bombardier snowcat. It is not really a money pit yet. It has become a great way to kill time though.

The body starting to take shape.

Some more detail done on the body.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes of course; current stable is Turner Highline, Banshee Spitfire, Trek 8500

Car, this wasn't supposed to be a hobby or money pit but is sort of becoming one

Lowered mode

Lifted mode with AT/S tires

Buggy, super time consuming money pit here. The wrenching:riding ratio is about 10:1. Built from scratch, started life as Baja SAE project, then I rebuilt it over the last two years and just put the finishing touches on it a few weeks ago.

Something always goes wrong, which means more money and wrench time...this was after 5 minutes of racing.

Other stuff...guitar/amp, home theater system, two computers, lots of tools

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
No kidding! I put all my money into savings so I don't have to work when I am in my 60's.

Some of you people must have really really high paying jobs! :thumb:
Just a short life expectancy. If I'm around at 60, I'll be a greater at WalMart, or maybe work my way up to the night shift leader at McDonalds.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Back country skiing for me. I am just getting started collecting the gear.
Yea, there's alot of gear crossover between the two. The beauty of it compared to mountain biking is that once you sort out your kit and gear it can last for a decade+

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I am in the process of building from scratch a 1:10 scale radio controled Bombardier snowcat. It is not really a money pit yet. It has become a great way to kill time though.

The body starting to take shape.

Some more detail done on the body.
Dont get me wrong, that is pretty cool. But just waht in the hell are you going to do with it? Maintain a ski area for Smurfs?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Dont get me wrong, that is pretty cool. But just waht in the hell are you going to do with it? Maintain a ski area for Smurfs?
Building is the fun part. How much will it run after who knows. Like most models it will just look cool when it is done. Being radio controlled I will be able to take out and play around with if I want.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Got too many hobies and projects...my Best Buy paycheck is usually crap and my DH racing costs me a few grand every year. BUT....I always set aside money for the fun toys :D
No...I don't own the plane, my dad does but flying it costs me a pretty penny. Thank God it only burns 9GPH instead of the A-36 Bonanza we used to have at 18GPH.

My truck that is taking me WAAAAYYYY too long to build. Like I said...I spend a lot of money on racing DH. Got some set aside for an Engage LT kit though :D

Of course you've also got motocross....
Sadly though, I have not been to a track since October :( Had to have the top end replaced and since then have been lacking the money to go to our local track.

I know it's bike related but it's by far the most expensive hobby I've ever picked up....RACING!!! I don't know what I'd do without it. I've been failing at races but somehow, I never regret spending the money!

OH....and scuba diving....that's another one of mine but don't have any photos of that.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Sorry for the cheesy watermarked pic. This actually is me though. Spent this past winter in Utah and it was AWESOME.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
I'm starting to collect knives, mostly rescue folders and some multitools. Also starting to collect the one piece works of a bloke called Peter Atwood.

Otherwise I am heavily involved in our local volunteer bushfire brigade and whilst not costing me much money eats a significant amount of my time. Worth it though.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Don't really have any aside from bikes...DH here in AZ, you eat up a lot of parts.

I want to build a 4x4 though, so I'm sure that will become a money pit.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
i'm inclined to think you're rolling in cash
Not rolling, but I'm doing alright. I'm 24, single, no kids, good health (knocks on wood), great paying job and very little debt.

When it comes to Audi there are no "small fees"... for anything. :D
Hence the eye roll smiley ;) The nice thing about the RS4 though, is that unlike some Japanese imports nothing has to be converted/swapped for it to pass inspection. There is even a version from France that is LHD.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Hence the eye roll smiley ;) The nice thing about the RS4 though, is that unlike some Japanese imports nothing has to be converted/swapped for it to pass inspection. There is even a version from France that is LHD.
Can't you settle for the RS4 sedan? Seems like that would be a lot easier. My S4 is still faster though. ;)